Human Wave: When to use it?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

'Course career, I've launched a grand total of 1 human wave (the opening move of Marders Not Martyrs) so my reflex answer would be "Almost Never". There are times it can be useful though, but I hate giving up the control on roughly 6 squads, particularly when stacking is essentially forced to some extent, despite the increased morale, no pinning & bonus MF.
I thought you launched one against me at an old open when we played "The Red Wave". I don't recall what the wave did, but I know you won the scenario.

jim

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought you launched one against me at an old open when we played "The Red Wave". I don't recall what the wave did, but I know you won the scenario.
I think the wave is relatively standard in that one, but I'm fairly certain I passed it up. I think - it's been a long time, so it's possible my memory is faltering & I'm actually at 2 career waves (and several hundred banzais :D)...

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The rule says that at least one unit in the wave must have a LOS to an ennemy unit at 8 hexes maxi.
This ennemy unit must not necessary be known. It must be at 8 hexes, not 8MF, so you don't need to reach it inyour MPh.
So you can launch a HW against a dummy stack to benefit of the "speed bump", as you say, then cross 8 MF without being CX. You can even do it with unit already CX.
So the human wave can be a very good tactic when you must cross a lot of terrain in a few time:
Move CX with at least 6 MMC (one at a time), near a zone where they could after the APh have a LOS to a "weak" ennemy unit (a probably dummy stack, a HS, a broken unit, a NT tank with no MG - such as some TD), regroup them in APh to be in position to launch a HW. If they survive to the next PFph, they will return fire as a big FG during DFPh and then move of 8MF + APh in the next turn.

And because many players think that HW is a stupid tactic, you have a great chance to surprise your opponent.

Furthermore, the human wave allows you (as a berserk) to finish your MF in the location of the ennemy, so it can be a good think to freeze potential PF launchers, in order to move your tanks.
Instead of making VBM freeze to allow infantry to progress, you can do infantry freeze to allow your AFV to progress.

Last edited:

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have lost EVERY scenario that I attempted a HW. So you know what you can do with it........

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have lost EVERY scenario that I attempted a HW
Probably just bad timing, or not optimizing the setup, etc.. Maybe you used them when you shouldn't?

So for a reference point, I think a relative follow-up question would be "how many scenarios have you lost when you didn't attempt it?"

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guards Counterattack.
Only on turn 2 after the defenses have been softened up a bit.

But seriously, you get a +1 ML, don't pin, and extra movement. If you need to cross the street or an open field anyway, it can be a viable option if coordinated properly. Although I don't use it often, in the right situations the tactic has been worthwhile more times than not.
Use with platoon-moving tanks. Gives cover, even when you actually enter the enemy location.

The Red Wave is a good scenario for it, provide you have some MMC left by the time the tanks get into position.

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen 2 successful human waves in my playing career. The first one was against Paul Sidhu in the Dien Bien Phu CG. Last scenario, I managed to get an OBA smoke FFE down on his defensive position and charged successfully with no casualties. I lost the CG, but the human wave made it close.

The second time was when Andy Robbin managed a human wave against me. I had a 9-2/548/mmg in the victory building. Andy used 2 SU-76's to soak up my fire from this stack (both died), and then he did the wave on me. I did a spray fire 4-4 and 4-2 attack 2 stacks in the street with the 9-2 stack, but rolled a 9 breaking the squad and pinning the leader. Andy got into the building in force. I barely squeaked out a win when he rolled a 11 in CC with a 238 of mine and then I sent reinforcements into the building to keep control of it.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I thank Gary Mei to this day for that victory over Andy Robin at Albany for various reasons.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi Guys
Worked very well in A Bloody Harvest, my germans got to the farmhouse a lot quicker and there was a terrific fight in the end game.
Er, well, access to HW for Germans is NA. :eek:

IMO, most of the time, the decision to go for a HW is likely to end up in failure.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Necro Thread...

Can an HW be started by off-board units?
And(no RB handy), can AFVs still do PM with units in a HW?
Thanks!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Necro Thread...

Can an HW be started by off-board units?
And(no RB handy), can AFVs still do PM with units in a HW?
No, because you need LOS to an enemy unit (might be KEU but I don't think so) to start the HW.

AFVs (up to a platoon) can use Armored Assault with a HW.

JR

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks J!
I thought the "tome" said "enemy unit" not "KEU". So, I'll check when I
get home.
We're getting ready to play "Little Stalingrad", and figured this might
be a scenario that the Red Horde(tm) could use an HW and still have
enough units to keep going afterwords, regardless of the HW outcome.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Whenever there is cover

Whenever things are desperate

HW truly is an extraordinarily powerful option at your disposal if used correctly and on a timely basis

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No, because you need LOS to an enemy unit (might be KEU but I don't think so) to start the HW.

AFVs (up to a platoon) can use Armored Assault with a HW.

JR
For confirmation purposes, it does NOT need to be KNOWN enemy unit.

One can HW v dummies/concealed stack

THH149

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like the idea that a banzai can charge an enemy unit within 8 hexes (and los) regardless of the force disparity between the two.

So, a very large banzai - say ten or more squads or even the whole IJA OB - can get started against just one enemy unit.

Not many scenarios would create the circumstances for that, but something to keep in mind.

g