Human Wave questions and RB examples

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
  1. Pg. A53: "He chooses P1-P2-O3-O4..." But don't the P1 units end up moving P1-O2-O3? Is the RB in error here?
  2. "The units in N1 and O2 are marked with a range counter..." Why aren't all of the HW units marked with a range counter at that point?
  3. Why doesn't everybody in O2 have to move into O3? Since O2 is marked with a range counter, I didn't think they could move further from the hex grain.
  4. I don't understand how Q3 moves to P3. I thought they had to follow the hex grain (sort of how a MG lays a fire lane) and move to Q4.
Clearly, there are some fundamentals here that I am misreading.

Thanks!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
1. Pg. A53: "He chooses P1-P2-O3-O4..." But don't the P1 units end up moving P1-O2-O3? Is the RB in error here?
The "P1-P2-O3-O4" is the Hex Grain choose for the HW - not how the units move.

2. "The units in N1 and O2 are marked with a range counter..." Why aren't all of the HW units marked with a range counter at that point?
The units that moved into P2 and Q3 did not increase the range to the choose Hex Grain - so they are not marked with a Range counter.

3. Why doesn't everybody in O2 have to move into O3? Since O2 is marked with a range counter, I didn't think they could move further from the hex grain.
A move into N2 does not increase the range from the HW Hex Grain - it stays at the same distance of one hex. Units marked with a Range counter do not have to decrease the range, they just can increase it.

4. I don't understand how Q3 moves to P3. I thought they had to follow the hex grain (sort of how a MG lays a fire lane) and move to Q4.
The HW unit do not need to move following a Hex Grain pattern.

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
The "P1-P2-O3-O4" is the Hex Grain choose for the HW - not how the units move.

The units that moved into P2 and Q3 did not increase the range to the choose Hex Grain - so they are not marked with a Range counter.

A move into N2 does not increase the range from the HW Hex Grain - it stays at the same distance of one hex. Units marked with a Range counter do not have to decrease the range, they just can increase it.

The HW unit do not need to move following a Hex Grain pattern.
1. So the hex grain of the HW establishes what are front/side directions for the moving units, but the HW hex grain does not require the moving units to follow the hex grain. Is that right?

2. So the Range is based on the hex grain established from a single hex of the HW? In the rules example, the hex grain chosen is P1-P2-O3. This is the ONLY hex grain established, literally. So P1 and O1 are allowed to move to O2 and N1, but since this is moving them away from hexes P1-P2-O3, they get ranged while Q2 and R2 are moving toward the chosen hexes. Is that right?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
1. So the hex grain of the HW establishes what are front/side directions for the moving units, but the HW hex grain does not require the moving units to follow the hex grain. Is that right?
Pretty much - it also determines how "far away" from the Hex Grain you can "stray".

2. So the Range is based on the hex grain established from a single hex of the HW?
Range is measured from each individual HW unit to a hex that is part of thw HW Hex Grain.

In the rules example, the hex grain chosen is P1-P2-O3. This is the ONLY hex grain established, literally. So P1 and O1 are allowed to move to O2 and N1, but since this is moving them away from hexes P1-P2-O3, they get ranged while Q2 and R2 are moving toward the chosen hexes. Is that right?
Yes.