hulldown gear post

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just posted a short article on the Panzer 38t at hulldown.org. I will probably just add a reply when I do any of my 'ASL Gear' posts in future..

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh and thanks to all who have suggested either improvements or suggestions (most notably to my much weaker knowledge of all the numbers on the counters which is still a weakness). I will adjust the post accordingly tonight when I get back from work along with approve any comments...(my work place blocks my own web site)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
A few minor points.

The LT vz 38/Pz 38(t) had the drive sprockets at the front and unlike the LT vz 35/Pz 35(t) did not use an air assisted transmission.

The name is either Pz 38(t) Ausf A (to Ausf G), LT vz 38 or LT-38. The LT vz 38(t)A is on the counter to show the correct mechanical reliability and ESB DRMs by the inclusion of the "(t)".

The * beside the 37L refers to the counter back note of Black TH# as the default for Axis Minor/Hungarian to use Red TH#, so the TH numbers for AxM/Hun is the same as the German numbers.

As an aside, I feel the BMG FP should be just 2, not 4, as there was only a single BMG (the Italian M13/40 had a twin BMG) and the British used the exact same gun and ammo (as the BESA, 7.92mm, a German calibre) as their tank MG and in all cases the British BMG rates as 2 FP. I also think that both the Pz/LT 35 and 38 should be treated as RST as having the commander as gunner is the same as many Soviet tanks (BT, T-26, T-34/76, etc). Originally both the Pz/LT 35 & 38 had 1MT and the Germans added a loader as soon as they got their hands on them. The few British 2 man turrets rate as ST as the commander was also the loader, a less concentration intensive job than gunner. But that's just my opinion and it's too late to change the 35/38s.

In your Crusader article you misinterpreted the Crusader I front armour, it's a 4 with a small size white circle, no hollow black circle/ring to denote inferior turret armour. So both front hull and turret have 4 AF. When comparing the Crusader with the Stuart, you said the Stuart had a 37L, rather than it's correct 37LL, so the Stuart has 1 higher TK not less. Earlier in the article you mentioned the RR Meteor. The A13 (Mk I & II) and Crusader used the Liberty, originally a WW1 aircraft design which was insufficiently robust for tank use (the bouncing about that a tank goes through would wreck and biplane). The Meteor first saw service in the Cromwell and later in the Comet and centurion.

Last edited:

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the corrections and I will adjust both accordingly. The * has already been done (via a note provided by Chris)