HS24 Tickling the Ivories

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Just done with this scenario, what a hoot ! :lol:

I was the Canadians and deployed in a tight defense around both VC buildings. Nothing to do but wait for cloaking counters to come within NVR so we sat tight and hurled insults into the darkness....

About turn 3 outposts reported movement to the front and starshells were popped, with little effect. 1 ended up over my lines, the other beyond and behind the advancing Germans. Firing at these cloaking counters gave a majority of the Canadians freedom of movement, but gave the Germans the location of my little mortar and the other firing units. On his right flank was a stack of unconcealed units with 3 or 4 cloaking counters extending to the west, adjacent to the farm where I had a HIP squad. This squad got orders to find out what was out there, so he assault moved into the barn and then advanced onto what I hoped was either an empty cloaking counter or perhaps a squad or some easy target. Alas, CC revealed 3 548s and the German 9-1 CO. My poor men had walked into a trap, yet, his -3 ambush modifier failed to produce ambush, so in desperation, I declared H2H vs the whole gang and rolled a 1,3....enough to put out of action the entire enemy stack, including 2 LMGs. Posthumous VCs for that squad. That is fully 25% of the German OB and 50% of their SWs, a result I could easily live with.

After another nice CC resulted in the loss of the German 8-1, the Boche were in a poor condition to rally the troops for the attack, nevertheless, they were able to clear the lower buildings, leaving me with only 1 GO squad/LMG and the wounded 9-2 up on the hill. These guys werent going anywhere, until tea was served in the rear and they decided it was time for a beverage.

Last turn- desperately rallied anyone willing to listen to orders including a PIAT HS and 3 other squds on the hill behind the building. In the Germ last turn he advanced 3 more 548s and the remaining 8-0 leader into the building on the hill unopposed, but had to take a CX. In my last PFPh, the PIAT guy makes a short prayer and fires at the building..needing a 2 TH. What do you think happened? Yep, I rolled 1,1 got a non-CH and broke all but 1 squad. Using superb tactical skill and cunning (hehe) the Canadians took heart and surrounded this last squad which was eliminated in the final CC phase. Not a bad result for my first night scenario.

I'd recommend this scenario to those who are thinking of doing a night scenario. Really, the night rules were a bit to get used to, but after this experience, I'd say that after 20+ years of SL/ASL, night scenarios are definately worth the trouble.

Bru-