HPS/JTS Napoleon series, where to start?

BigDuke66

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well I had always interest in John Tiller games and as the 200 years Battle of the Nations now stirs up my Napoleon interest I really would like to try one title of the Napoleon series.
Anyone able to suggest a part?
Or a part I should avoid?

I think about Austerlitz as that is the earliest title in the timeline or are any battle before 1805 covered in any title?

Also I wonder if any "supporting" software is used by the community for this series.
AFAIK the battles can be linked to a campaign but there is no real movement between the battles that the player can influence, also casualties aren't carried over, so is there anything that resolves this lacks?
Already looked at some boardgames that can work with the VASSAL engine, not sure if it really could work but I guess worth a try.
Cheers

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I had always interest in John Tiller games and as the 200 years Battle of the Nations now stirs up my Napoleon interest I really would like to try one title of the Napoleon series.
Anyone able to suggest a part? Go with Campaign Leipzig - more bang for the buck!

Or a part I should avoid? All of our games are good. You cant go wrong with any of them.

I think about Austerlitz as that is the earliest title in the timeline or are any battle before 1805 covered in any title? No, there are no games in this series covering the French Revolutionary Wars as of now. Probably something in the future though!

Also I wonder if any "supporting" software is used by the community for this series. Well there is an OB Editor that Dominik Derwinski produced.

AFAIK the battles can be linked to a campaign but there is no real movement between the battles that the player can influence, also casualties aren't carried over, so is there anything that resolves this lacks? Casualties are USUALLY carried over but there is also a casualty recovery formula based on the number of calendar days between the battles.

Already looked at some boardgames that can work with the VASSAL engine, not sure if it really could work but I guess worth a try. Not sure what you are asking here but VASSAL is a great tool for boardgame adaptation to the computer. I have also used Cyberboard for games (GMT Games Paths of Glory for instance) and it was a lot of fun.

Cheers
Thanks for your interest in our games and let us know what you bought. Also know that two online clubs cater to Head to Head play. The Blitz is a ladder type club that is available and they have a long history of good website maintenance too. Lots of other games supported. The Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC) is a very good choice if you want to be in more of a historically based club that centers on this period.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Apart from the HPS Simulation Games Website patches; most people will opt to use Phillipe Devine's Napoleonic mods to the graphics , which include earlier Ezjax stuff. These can be found at the [ Scenario Design Center ] Website under Napoleonics. Most people will also opt for the longer gunfire sounds media file which are compatible with Napoleonic battles - Eckmuhl, Wagram, Russian Campaign and Waterloo which is available at [ Volcano Man's Mapmod ] website under Napoleonic media files.There are a few other things floating around but the above are the main requirements......

BigDuke66

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks I guess I will go for Leipzig, will just wait a bit and see where the Dollar lands as the last days it was loosing strongly against the Euro.

I'm already member of the Blitz and I know the NWC as I was browsing thruh its forum the last days, looks like an interesting club.