How would you do a SL reissue for today's market?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An offshoot of the Renegade Games possible Acquisition of the rights to Squad Leader.

I am glad that they didn't get the rights to SL. If there ever was a reissue it should have massive input from those who loved that game. I am obviously in that camp.

All that aside I have been trying to figure out a simplified way of preserving the essence of Squad Leader while making it a game that appeals to today's gamers.

For me it was always the mechanics of the game, the Sequence of Play, that made Squad Leader different from other war games that I had played. That's vital.

The reissue probably should include miniatures as that seems to be popular. Would that require DASL or RB sized hexes?

I also think some Up Front style obstacle cards would be cool.

Just some thoughts. How would you preserve the flavor of Squad Leader in a reissue for the market these days?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am kind of wondering if these weren't the computer versions of these titles. A buddy of mine and I were discussing that possibility as we kind of remember that some, if not all, of those titles were offered as computer modules as well.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re the OP, I wouldn't.

[Since we're in the chit-chat room...

I've enjoyed a few time-filler solo playing trials of the WWII platoon-level Columbia Games Combat Infantry block games series (now in two modules as of this writing).

They worked on it many years before releasing it. They are a publisher of quality, IMO, and this series seems very good. I expect most ASL players would appreciate it.

Re the modules, see also west and east fronts on BGG.]