How would one run a VASL comp

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys.

I have been forced to cancel ANZACon this year, and people have asked if we can do a VASL comp instead

Not really sure how to do that..

How would one run a two day comp with 16-18 participants on VASL

Any ideas? ...any help appreciated

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
spolier This is not a facetious comment:

You run it as you would the normal tourny but on VASSAL? The ASL Ring tourny in France might be facing a similar problem and one thing was pointed out to me - make sure that your family are aware that you are playing in a tourny for that weekend and are not available.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
You run it as you would the normal tourny but on VASSAL?
I agree if it is a local tournament with players from the same time zone. Thus, the Swedish and UK tournaments - and maybe the French, I do not know that one - can be run using the same mechanics as the FtF one.

If many players come from different time zones, such as ASO in Copenhagen, Grenadier, ASLOK or Albany, this will not work very well. Few of us will want to get up at 2AM or conversely play until 6AM. A possibility in these Corona times when we are all at home anyway could be to run one scenario a day instead of two, and run it 9AM - 4PM US Eastern Standard Time. Too bad for the Aussies and Kiwis, but at least all European and American players can participate during a comfortable hours.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the OP. Currently preparing to do exactly this with the Nor'easter tournament for the exact same reason.
We are running all 5 rounds, at close to the normal time slots. Friday 10AM-4PM and 5PM until people finish. Saturday 10-5, 6 till you drop and Sunday 10AM till you drop. We only had to swap out two scenarios due to boards not being available on VASL.
Peter is right, reccomend all rooms stay locked. I am having our guys use the prefix NE in our rooms so I can find them easily. There's a bit more cat herding involved than "just do it". Of course I am recreating the entire tournament where you are just shooting for a single day. Makes life easier.

Normally, we start day rounds at 8AM, but being on the east coast of the US and drawing interest from all of the US, we had to lighten up the starting times. Twenty four participants. All games live and all players are slotted for round one, so we have a full house.
Not the 50 guys we normally have, but still an event.
Carl

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I agree if it is a local tournament with players from the same time zone. Thus, the Swedish and UK tournaments - and maybe the French, I do not know that one - can be run using the same mechanics as the FtF one.

If many players come from different time zones, such as ASO in Copenhagen, Grenadier, ASLOK or Albany, this will not work very well. Few of us will want to get up at 2AM or conversely play until 6AM. A possibility in these Corona times when we are all at home anyway could be to run one scenario a day instead of two, and run it 9AM - 4PM US Eastern Standard Time. Too bad for the Aussies and Kiwis, but at least all European and American players can participate during a comfortable hours.
If you went to Albany, you would play in the Albany timezone, no? I don't see any other way to do it unless you want to stretch it out for DAYS. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Normally, we start day rounds at 8AM, but being on the east coast of the US and drawing interest from all of the US, we had to lighten up the starting times. Twenty four participants. All games live and all players are slotted for round one, so we have a full house.
Not the 50 guys we normally have, but still an event.
Carl
I considered trying to join, but the time difference put me off. I couldn't realistically play in the middle of the night with my wife having to work tomorrow. GL and let us know how it turns out. -- jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had to turn away someone from NZ for the same reasons. Certainly doesn't prohibit stopping by.

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the rooms are locked, I assume we can't drop in to see the action. Right?

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it! Not sure I like you Boston guys knowing where I live......;)

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys.

I have been forced to cancel ANZACon this year, and people have asked if we can do a VASL comp instead

Not really sure how to do that..

How would one run a two day comp with 16-18 participants on VASL

Any ideas? ...any help appreciated
I'd pick short scenarios too so things don't drag on and setups can be done quickly.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd pick short scenarios too so things don't drag on and setups can be done quickly.
Ralph MacDonald has actually predone the boards for the scenarios rounds, which is a time saver.

Size of the scenarios depends on the time of the round. Mornings short, evenings longer as it is just two rounds per day.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Finally we all have all the time in the world and now you want us to play short scenarios?

Flying Turrets in the first round I say !
Excellent idea!

If you play Flying Turrets in the first round, this may be your Last Bid.

von Marwitz

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is what i have come up with: Please read and discuss..

#1 Players will need to register at least 24 hours before commencement and they will supply their email address, plus Skype/discord handle to TD- Need to make sure everybody has the right VASSAL/VASL combo
#2 TD will have a specific email address to simplify communication
#3 During the two days - will probably set updedicated channel on Discord to help with queries/questions
#4 Pick 4 scenarios (over two days - 2 scenarios per day) They need to be small enough to be played with 4-5 hours each
#5 Prefer 16 players in total

Day 1
TD will randomly matchup opponents – TD to expedite matters may even supply VASL game file with pieces and maps all ready to go
08.30am. Participants will be sent an email with copy of scenario. (VASL file maybe) The email will also contain players names(including Skype handle) – their opponents and ABS
It will also include expected start time and finish time -
Eg: Player #1 (skype handle) vs Player #2 (Skypehandle) – Start time and finish time
Players will be responsible in setting up their game rooms on VASL

At the end of the game, players will email result to TD
1.30pm. Second email will go out with Round 2 details (similar as Round 1 email) People will be matched accordingly to win/loss of previous round. This round will start at 2.00pm and to be concluded at 7.30pm

Day 2

Rinse and repeat!!
7.30pm some kind of award ceremony - probably Skype live?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty much a variation on what I am doing with a couple of notable exceptions. You may find that supplying pieces pre-pulled runs into ownership issues for concealment counter deletion, which is not crippling but is a pain.

Also, while you don't want gigantic scenarios to be sure, moderate size scenarios in the later round of the day are doable.

Good luck,
Carl

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Bruce...what about Skype or even Zoom?

Can skype manage a group chat of around 16?

Just wondering what is the best option

BTW - would be interested in the VASL comp?

Cheers

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I don't know the answers to those technical questions, Joe. I don't see why Skype couldn't handle that many participants but I've never put it to the test. I don't know Zoom or Discord at all.

I think that you should make whatever communication software you choose a mandatory requirement for participants. Otherwise the people playing are not really participating in the group experience, they're just off playing a game together. Which is fine, if that's what they want to do, but to me that's like a couple of people in a regular ftf tournament saying "we're going to go home and play each other, you guys have fun, we'll let you know when we're done". It doesn't feel "right" to me. However, that's just my opinion, you as the TD should set whatever tournament rules you are comfortable with.

I'm not disinterested in participating but I'm not going to make a commitment until I know what the rules of the tournament are. Other than the above I'm OK with what you've come up with so far.