How will the Croix de Guerre reprint treat the Free French?

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wondering whether the reprint of CdG could incorporate some of the fine French scenarios out there, not only from the General/Annuals/Journals, but also from the wonderful Provence Pack (should Laurent be interested), since we're talking about actions with the Free French...

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think because there are Free French vs Vichy actions.

(Although people could probably figure out, especially if SSRs were added, that they should use their British/American counters for the Free French forces in those scenarios).
Yes. But not enough. And interesting phase of French history, to say the least.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Free French are not blue now - they use British counters.
Yes, but it does not look right. The leaders all have English names. The MMC, of course look British. Sometimes that would be right for the Free French, but mostly not.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Because the Free French aren't British, for one. They could use two-tone counters for the new set, but so what even if they pick an entirely new color? It's not about compatibility driving how ASL works for the various nations.

Of course it would cost more to duplicate the Free French OB for vehicles etc. That would be the main objection -- cost.
Or if you really want Free French get a set from Broken Ground Design!

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or if you really want Free French get a set from Broken Ground Design!
Agreed!
I have a set of the BGD Free French and they look great. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for MMP to produce 'official ' Free French -specific counters.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for MMP to produce 'official ' Free French -specific counters.
Send them a check for $1,000,000. I'll give you a side-wager that you'll see your "official" counters.

JR

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... I have a bucket load German and Russian counters from BV and the HS published until roughly 2008-9 (plus first run modules still in their plastic wrap - BV, Para, WoA, LH, GH, CoB). I also purchased FKaC years back and will soon punch out the counters to 'beef' up the British selection. That being the case I will certainly buy CdG as the French campaign is in the top three campaigns I have an interest in. And who wouldn't love to do the Dinant HS?

I wonder if Sedan might be too tough to replicate in an HS?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's hear it for the Vichy French! two-toned counters in French Blue with German blue border why not?
But were the Vichy French substantially armed with German weapons? I thought they basically continued using their early war kit which would be why the "normal" French counters would apply to them while the British and American rearmed Free French change "colors."

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the free french I’ll just use the Broken Ground Design ones by Alan Findlay none of this oh use such and such to represent them !!!!!
Exactly!

As this forum seems at times to be at least 50% product speculation, I'm going out on a limb as well and opine that MMP most likely has no intention of ever producing Free French -specific counters.
I don't like using the British counters to represent the Free French, so I ordered a set from BG Designs. I'm very pleased with the product.

'Problem' solved.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly!

As this forum seems at times to be at least 50% product speculation, I'm going out on a limb as well and opine that MMP most likely has no intention of ever producing Free French -specific counters.
I don't like using the British counters to represent the Free French, so I ordered a set from BG Designs. I'm very pleased with the product.

'Problem' solved.
Same here. Playing a lot more FF now as a result now.