How will the Croix de Guerre reprint treat the Free French?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I wish I could agree with you, but can't. I'm not even thinking about one offs or prototypes like the Maus. Colour schemes I'm not too fussed over, for most cases captured stuff can be dealt with by SSR, convenient to have them: yes, essential: no. ... AH/MMP did very well indeed but missed some stuff.
Jesus, the bare minimum would be OT-34 counters based on the M42 chassis. There are a surprisingly large number of late-war scenarios featuring OT-34 with 17 MP. I'm still mystified that late-war models weren't included in FB.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked the same thing in another thread a while back. Was told only the Dinant map.
So this will be the first reprint of a core module that doe not include the geomorphic maps of the original module. That is unusual. I get it in that boards 40 and 41 are available in Yanks. But it appears that MMP may be missing the mark a bit on this one. I'd rather see some new geoboards and a few new scenarios if MMP departs from the established reprint protocol which if what you mention turns out to be accurate, is being thrown out the window. Though there are many cheap ASLers who are reluctant to purchase a reprinted Croix de Guerre, most ASLers will buy it if only to get replacement counters for our now well-worn French game pieces. Therefore, having some new boards and scenarios would increase the value. I understand that the Dinant component of this module is the main draw, but this would be a better money maker for MMP if it was dropped from the Croix de Guerre and marketed as a separate 1940 HASL.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So this will be the first reprint of a core module that doe not include the geomorphic maps of the original module. That is unusual. I get it in that boards 40 and 41 are available in Yanks. But it appears that MMP may be missing the mark a bit on this one.
I would not assume - yet - that CdG will not have any geo maps in it. I am not sure that has been decided upon yet.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As 40 & 41 are in Yanks, that leaves only 42 & 43 as boards from the original 1-52 that are not in a core module. They are currently only available individually, the Map Bundle and AP4.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would expect some boards to be in the new module, maybe some of the earlier AP boards. But I really have no knowledge.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I can't imagine the cost being so prohibitively high that 1-3 "extra/repeated" boards could not be included. I have 'em all but I feel for those players desperately trying to get all the equipment.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I currently own CDG and the fact Dinant is in the new version, and not separate, it will push me to pick up a fresh copy of CDG.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, as for "missing" AFV counters, I would encourage MMP to consider offering it (say a half or full countersheet and Chapter H) in an upcoming Journal. Someone could even pen a complimentary article "The missing AFV of the ASL system" talking about the new AFV. Everybody wins: AFV counter gaps closed, ASLers get some "candy" in the next Journal, MMP makes some incremental revenue/profit.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's not just the counters you need for the missing AFVs but the vehicle notes as well. If they do them officially, you need counters and chapter H pages. We may see them but only if there are scenarios for them.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta have scenarios for them. Sooner or later. Otherwise, what’s the point of having the counters.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
So if the free French get a new color, would we also get ANZACs and British Indian unit colors too?

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think because there are Free French vs Vichy actions.

(Although people could probably figure out, especially if SSRs were added, that they should use their British/American counters for the Free French forces in those scenarios).