How will the Croix de Guerre reprint treat the Free French?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How will Croix de Guerre reprint treat the Free French?

Will it redo the French rules to include the KW OUNC counters to represent them?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Why would the color scheme change? It works correctly, and changing it would add incompatibilities between the old and new counters.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Why would the color scheme change? It works correctly, and changing it would add incompatibilities between the old and new counters.
Because the Free French aren't British, for one. They could use two-tone counters for the new set, but so what even if they pick an entirely new color? It's not about compatibility driving how ASL works for the various nations.

Of course it would cost more to duplicate the Free French OB for vehicles etc. That would be the main objection -- cost.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Free French were equipped by the brits, used the same uniforms as the brits, so I do not see why MMP would need to have new counters for for just the free french. Just use the brit counters I would say. But then again I am not a counter collector so what do I know lol.

Because the Free French aren't British, for one. They could use two-tone counters for the new set, but so what even if they pick an entirely new color? It's not about compatibility driving how ASL works for the various nations.

Of course it would cost more to duplicate the Free French OB for vehicles etc. That would be the main objection -- cost.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If I'm not mistaken, the Crusader II is shown twice rather than showing a Crusader II and a Crusader III.

JR
You are not mistaken. Nite tgat I haven't reached proofing for these guys yet.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The KW OUNC counters already portray 1950-1953 French units that are organized and equipped very similar to 1944-1945 French units.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sorry to be OT, but if BG could issue North Korean counters, i would happily purchase.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
The Free French were equipped by the brits, used the same uniforms as the brits, so I do not see why MMP would need to have new counters for for just the free french. Just use the brit counters I would say. But then again I am not a counter collector so what do I know lol.
The late war FF have assault fire and theoretically should have an underlined FP. If you're an artwork wonk (I'm not) then the uniforms would be more US than British by then as well from what I can tell. I'll leave others to decide if these things merit a separate set of counters. I picked up the FF set from BGD, but I play mostly SASL and wanted an alternate artwork counterset for SASL reasons.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The late war FF have assault fire and theoretically should have an underlined FP. If you're an artwork wonk (I'm not) then the uniforms would be more US than British by then as well from what I can tell. I'll leave others to decide if these things merit a separate set of counters. I picked up the FF set from BGD, but I play mostly SASL and wanted an alternate artwork counterset for SASL reasons.
Equipped and dressed by the British with US gear. Kinda a mish-mash. Make them all french blue counters.

Last edited:

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also this new set. With the 30% discount its about $35.00
ASLComp Nationality Set 43

ASLComp Nationality Set 43

Code: ASLNS43
Price: $49.95
Shipping Weight: 6.00 pounds

Quantity in Basket: None

A BRAND new FREE FRENCH CLASSIC CREME NATIONALITY SET A25.3 is now here to nail. It consists of:

> 2 × 280 ½" counters for MMC/SMC/SW for 7-4-7 through 5-3-6 squad types/Ldrs/SW/ and '?' markers in ½" size
> 3 × 176 5/8" counter sheet of AFVs/Vehicles/Guns and large '?' counters.
A TOTAL of 1088 color die cut counters that allow you to play all your Free French scenarios - classics and those to come!

NOTE: THIS IS A VERY LIMITED PRINT RUN and as long as you see the page you can reserve your copy. Ships upon completion.

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The KW OUNC counters already portray 1950-1953 French units that are organized and equipped very similar to 1944-1945 French units.
Similar, but not in the numbers and ammunition availability, etc. The WWII Free French units that had American equipment started out with Springfields from surplus, eventually getting M-1 Carbines, only very late on the 'real thing'. Similarly, their automatic weapons were initially 2nd-rate, being upgraded as these rolled out through surplus.

In Korea, they were outfitted from the start with US equipment for small-arms (most of the UN troops were similar, to save the logistical hassle), with the M-1 Garands being more readily available due to the vast amount of surplus from the US WWII Army that had drawn down. Thus, the KW OUNC 'US-armed' squad works correctly for the Korean War period (and arguably for actions in Indochina in the '50s), but they'd be a bit more than their WWII counterparts. the '458' with Assault Fire and reverse-side morale not being lowered as in the 1940 French, works just fine for the '44-'45 Free French squad.

That said, it would be nice to see them in a consistent coloring scheme...one not feeding into some controversial 3rd party's coffers...

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Similar, but not in the numbers and ammunition availability, etc. The WWII Free French units that had American equipment started out with Springfields from surplus, eventually getting M-1 Carbines, only very late on the 'real thing'. Similarly, their automatic weapons were initially 2nd-rate, being upgraded as these rolled out through surplus.

In Korea, they were outfitted from the start with US equipment for small-arms (most of the UN troops were similar, to save the logistical hassle), with the M-1 Garands being more readily available due to the vast amount of surplus from the US WWII Army that had drawn down. Thus, the KW OUNC 'US-armed' squad works correctly for the Korean War period (and arguably for actions in Indochina in the '50s), but they'd be a bit more than their WWII counterparts. the '458' with Assault Fire and reverse-side morale not being lowered as in the 1940 French, works just fine for the '44-'45 Free French squad.

That said, it would be nice to see them in a consistent coloring scheme...one not feeding into some controversial 3rd party's coffers...
There is no danger of third party being the source. Only MMP counters are official. Everything else is a variant counter. I see no need for any additional counters outside the official counter mix. Obviously I do not feel the same about scenario designs. Frankly, I do not understand the mania and obsession over manufacturing and acquiring chrome plated variant ASL counters that mostly duplicate the ASL system. I do not support the idea of going outside the official counter mix in my gaming. As a scenario designer, I will say that with very few exceptions, MMPs counter mix is completely adequate for most scenario concepts. I do think there is some utility to having another official counter to represent the 44-45 Volksgrenadier squad. However, I want MMP to make it. I do not care what counters other producers of ASL products make.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I see no nee for any additional counters outside the official counter mix.
I wish I could agree with you, but can't. I'm not even thinking about one offs or prototypes like the Maus. Colour schemes I'm not too fussed over, for most cases captured stuff can be dealt with by SSR, convenient to have them: yes, essential: no.

Only with HP did MMP include the T-26 m31 & m32 and one variant of the BT-2 with AoO. There are others like the US M6 GMC, the Soviet T-80 and MS-1 that were produced in half decent numbers that still have to see the official light of day. BFP's B&J had a range of Dutch and other's stuff some of which I was unaware of. AH/MMP did very well indeed but missed some stuff.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fleshing out the Free French would be a good thing for MMP to do. I am no history buff, but it seems they could maybe do an 'upgrade' kit with some more counters for those who don't want to buy a whole new module and then do a full-blown module for those of us who's French counters and maps are looking a bit 'dated'.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will this reprint also include boards 40 and 41 even though they are already available in the most recent version of Yanks?