How will the Croix de Guerre reprint treat the Free French?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do think there is some utility to having another official counter to represent the 44-45 Volksgrenadier squad. However, I want MMP to make it. I do not care what counters other producers of ASL products make.
Agree with Evan 100% - we have enough counters! I would rather use an SSR to represent slight variations.

For example - One US infantry regiment that landed at D-Day used Springfields for about two weeks (Commander did not like the ammo usage on M-1s? I don't know for sure) until they chucked them. Does the 5-4-6 2nd line squad really reflect that? I gave them a 4 ELR and an extra leader (save from cowering) to balance it out. I think this is a better solution than an entirely new set of 5-6-6 counters just for a few scenarios. The bocage fighting was generally fought at closer ranges anyway.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ah, the sound of the MMP production schedule being updated is like the sound of a tree falling in the forest when nobody can hear it.

Latest update on the 'MMP News' website is May 2019 for the Starter Kit 4. Everybody, make the sound of one hand clapping!

It's a very Zen experience, MMP is. But on their website, the disclaimer should read: "Please note these are best-guess estimates and liable to last minute changes once a Buddha arises."

C'mon guys, update the fossil record over there! It's almost 2020. You still got that communication manager doin' sumthin'? ?‍♂

But maybe this cryptic message also means we'll finally get some legitimate Free French counters after some undetermined waiting period.

Hell's bells, it's already been since the British module came out in 1988 and they made this error in the first place; what's another 30 years, give or take, to fix it? Awww Snap! I forgot, I'll probably be dead! ?

Like Evan, I don't want third party stuff for this. Hey, my guess is that MMP's bright idea here is to produce a few French named leader counters and snicker that they did indeed produce some 'Free-French specific counters' ----

Naaaaa, can't be!

That would be shameful, wouldn't it boys!?

Bring us the full Monty! Or will it remain the stripped down de Gaulle?

Now there's a guy who'd be tossing in his grave if he knew the Free French counters were depicted as British :D

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How about printing the new Free French counters in the existing French blue and just using Allied Minor counters to represent the 1940 French? ;)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How about printing the new Free French counters in the existing French blue and just using Allied Minor counters to represent the 1940 French? ;)
Too late CdG is to be released at WO it’s done includes Dan Dolans Dinant

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That defeats the whole purpose, which is finally to give the French--all the French--their own color-sets.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have found out that only the free French will have FTs in CdG. Which makes me wonder if the French army in 1940 had or used any FTs at all?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have found out that only the free French will have FTs in CdG. Which makes me wonder if the French army in 1940 had or used any FTs at all?
I looked into this some years ago and could not find evidence that the French Army used flamethrowers.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One can always use the FF FT for 1940 French if one designs a scenario featuring one. Functionally the same.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Also if you want free French in their own colour go visit the Broken Ground Design site , Alan has produced a set for them.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That defeats the whole purpose, which is finally to give the French--all the French--their own color-sets.
That is not quite correct. They would have their own color-set, which would be the existing blue color. They would be distinguished from the 1939-1940 French by virtue of those earlier troops being in the same color as the other Allied Minors. It was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but I was not suggesting something whereby the Free French would be mixed in with other same-colored units. Sorry if my wording was not clearer.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
They would have their own color-set, which would be the existing blue color. They would be distinguished from the 1939-1940 French by virtue of those earlier troops being in the same color as the other Allied Minors.
French-blue FF would also be distinguished from 1940-French-blue by virtue of the former resembling British counters.

Last edited:

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Au contraire: if they are willing to change color schemes between printings, then nothing is settled.

Which is great, as we can finally get the monotone FW counters we deserve in 2050 or thereabouts.