How to win Sand and Blood (the Gavutu-Tanambogo campaign) as the American?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
A very long time ago we ran this CG via PBEM (2009-2011). Win as Marines. The strategy was hit Gaomi with 1/2 of the at start LC to put the guns out of action there immediately, the other half vectored into the hinterland side of Tanambogo.
Interesting! I tried that on our first go, but there was a Japanese pillbox with LOS to Gaomi and the MGs+10-2 leader therein casualty reduced my men on Gaomi to nothing. The fact that the Americans don't break there doesn't help!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A very long time ago we ran this CG via PBEM (2009-2011). Win as Marines. The strategy was hit Gaomi with 1/2 of the at start LC to put the guns out of action there immediately, the other half vectored into the hinterland side of Tanambogo. The rough landing for basically climbing onto the island was offset by surprising the defenses with only 1 cave and one pillbox having initial LOS to the guys coming in and then climbing up without using a beach. The Gaomi guns and the rest of the topside weaps on both sides hit the Gaomi assault force hard, but not hard enough, and 1.5 GO squads and a 8-1 leader made it ashore to end the Gun crews lives without any other casualties. one of the guns remained undamaged, so the half squad manned it and the healthy 5-5-8 and 8-1 waded over towards Tanambogo, making the pier just at the end of the assault period 1. E5/F4/G5/E6/H6 was the perimeter at the end of the period, with the pier at L5 under Marine control from the waders.

Period 2 saw the planes arrive in another day period along with an assault force hitting K4/K5/K6 beach on Tanambogo and the Tanambogo side of the causeway. End of this period had about 80% of Tanambogo under Marine control , and a Marine foothold on Gavutu at M14/N13/O13/O14.

Period 3 was the night period and the Japanese counterattacked the Gavutu foothold, but lost too many troops throwing the Marines off Gavutu. The NOBA was used here with IRs to allow the on map Marines to decimate the Japanese from neighboring Tanambogo.

Period 4 was the last day period, and the marines went all out with a landing on the K23/L22/M22 beaches coupled with a push from the causeway up Gavutu hill. The last Japanese cave was sealed on turn 8 of the 4th assault period, ending the game. Marine losses were devastating, but so were the Japanese. We determined the big mistake the Japanese made was in that night counterattack. They lost too much for too little gain.

What I am interested in is where players like to put the night assault period? I have tried it at turn 2 and lost and at turn 4 and lost.

KRL, jon H
Assault Period 2 was Night for me. I hit Gavutu first in Period 1 so I brought more troops and the tanks (1 bogged and immo on the sand) on the south side of Gavutu.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I tried that on our first go, but there was a Japanese pillbox with LOS to Gaomi and the MGs+10-2 leader therein casualty reduced my men on Gaomi to nothing.
The pillbox would have to be at level zero, and gaomi is at level -1, which would mean that the palm trees on gaomi create blind hexes behind them. Without having more details I can't be sure but I would think that the Marines could stay out of LOS of a single pillbox. Was that not possible?

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I could have hid behind the palm trees after the last gun was silenced, but that had to happen first. And generally speaking, you don't win a war (or a scenario, when you are the attacker) by hiding. "Wirkung geht vor Deckung" ("Effect is more important than cover") I was taught in the German army, and I had the idea (again, an idea, not necessarily a good idea) to carry along a few mortars and use them to shoot at Tanambogo, so that the units on Gaomi weren't useless for the rest of the scenario. And I did land a few good hits before they all died. But still, I wouldn't do it again and I advise against it. Use NOBA and planes (if you have to) against Gaomi.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was thinking that: gaomi might be a nice place for a few American MTRs. With a -2 leader firing MGs at you that is probably less true, as your experience shows. Of course the units on gaomi can wade through the shallow ocean over to tanambogo too, so they needn't remain out of the battle once gaomi is taken. They should probably wait until the -2 leader is out of the way before attempting that.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing I just learned is that the cost to unload from a LC and enter a higher hex is always 50% of the unit's MF allotment. This seems to be regardless of the terrain entered. As best I read the rule, the cost to unload in 1083 (building/hinterland) or 3100 (level one hill), for two examples, is still just two MF. That means that the the Marines can land in a fairly large portion of the islands and not only the obvious places. I think I see four ideas for landing

• west coast of tanambogo. enter at long range from gaomi (hexes 1001-1027), run down the west coast of tanambogo and land there, and possibly into the south side
  • gaomi & north/north-east side of tanambogo.
  • gaomi and north-east corner of gavutu.
  • south and south-west corner of gavutu. stay at long range from gaomi and land on the beach and hinterland on the south-west beach and the south hinterland. you might even slip some boats up the east coast of gavutu, although it's a long ride.
I think I prefer one of the two flank attacks unless those areas appear well-guarded, in which case an attack straight up the middle might find a relatively weak defense.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
One thing I just learned is that the cost to unload from a LC and enter a higher hex is always 50% of the unit's MF allotment. This seems to be regardless of the terrain entered.
Yes, I brought this up in the rules subforum a few months back when we prepared for the campaign. It's double that (=100%) if the LC has no ramp, and isn't modified any further.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played it once and my opponent quit after two turns when I landed directly onto hinterland hexes that he had not considered defending.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played it once and my opponent quit after two turns when I landed directly onto hinterland hexes that he had not considered defending.
This may be what makes it possible for the Americans to win. The Japanese have to defend a lot more than just the "obvious" hexes. If they don't the Americans can just slip around. The Japanese can shift to meet an unexpected threat, but it's going to be tricky to avoid losing concealment. If concealment is lost the Americans have their aircraft and NOBA to use. These are not "gimmies," given the extra card draws and the possibility of mistaken attacks, but they could leave the Japanese with a welt. If the Japanese are spread out then an attack anywhere has a fairly good chance of breaking in.

In the @hongkongwargamer aar I was thinking the west coast of tanambogo looked tempting. Given that the Marines can unload pretty easily into buildings/huts, they might land in 1045 & 1057 first (forcing TPBF with FFNAM and TEM from the occupants) then along the rest of the west coast. This might be a case where the option to rout back to the boats might be used.

I was also thinking that perhaps one might land two boats or so at first to draw the Japanese out, then use planes & noba for a while, then send everyone else in. It might help.

JR

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
With all the HIP the Japanese get it's a game of luck to find a weak spot in their defense.

I was also thinking that perhaps one might land two boats or so at first to draw the Japanese out, then use planes & noba for a while, then send everyone else in. It might help.
This sounds like a good idea!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
With all the HIP the Japanese get it's a game of luck to find a weak spot in their defense.
The Japanese have five HIP squads. Of course they have the fortifications that grant HIP too (caves and pillboxes) but immediately in the landing zones there aren't that many locations where these are likely to be used. If there are four broad landing strategies as I outlined above (and perhaps there are others) you should on average find a bit more than one HIP squad. I would expect not to find any caves at all. Perhaps one or two pillbox, depending on the landing. HIP units right on the shore will be immediately revealed when a LC unloads on them (forcing TPBF, as G.4 won't apply). So while hidden units may cause a tactical surprise and some unexpected casualties, I don't think they are going to repulse the landing.

This sounds like a good idea!
On reflection I have become somewhat less enamored of the probe attack. In the aar on the second post the reason I like the west coast of Tanambogo is that it is very isolatable by aircraft because of the open ground. For example even if a Japanese unit assault moves into 1071, aircraft treat the unit as unconcealed. The sighting task check is at -3 DRM (not concealed, entered new hex) on the first turn before the Americans have landed, making it nearly impossible to miss. Given that the Japanese would have to fight with just what they have at the moment (unless they have a tunnel or a cave to the area, I would send everyone in. Position two NOBA to isolate as well, perhaps 1066 & 3005 (I have not looked at these carefully so don't take the positionings too seriously). Now this is in response to the given setup. In other cases I might try a probe.

Of course a tricksy Japanese player might leave a sector "empty" and fill it with HIP units and fortifications. Depending on who you are playing you must consider whether such a trap is likely.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
An important point to remember is that you don't have to rush to the beach when you're out of LOS of the guns. It might be wise to delay for a few turns, to lure out the Japanese, and so that the 2nd wave arrives closer behind the 1st.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
An important point to remember is that you don't have to rush to the beach when you're out of LOS of the guns. It might be wise to delay for a few turns, to lure out the Japanese, and so that the 2nd wave arrives closer behind the 1st.
You don't, but you give the Japanese more time to react. It's a tradeoff.

Another thought I had was to put most of the crews and the DCs in, say, three boats, then land them later. The crews are annoying because they are worth two CVP without much combat power. The DCs are for eliminating caves. I might not do it in one of the frontal attacks but in one of the flank attacks it's worth a thought.

JR

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Using the VASL map for reference)

The Tanambogo hinterland is the way to go...the IJN has to defend the beaches, he can't risk ceding a fast, easy landing to the Marines. Ignore Gaomi and land in the Tanambogo hinterlands. If Gaomi fires and loses ? then put the NOBA on them. Once landed the Marines assault hill 121 from the landing zone and move units up the hill from the south...up and over to the jungle. Searching for any caves...dropping DC's from above the caves. Get a fire base setup on the hill top...hex F7 has LOS into all but one of the jungle locations. Keep attacking toward the beach. Also, on the LC, isn't the CA armored? At least I thought it was.

If all goes well on Tanambogo during the first assault period, I will usually go night during the second. If Gaomi is still a problem I go after it and bring on the group with the AFV. I come into the beach area of Tanambogo and start heading to the cause way. I also use the night to dig foxholes on the top of hill 121...hexes F8 and G8. That is where the mortars/MG's are going for the 3rd/4th assault periods.

Assault period 3 I am attacking across the cause way and assaulting the beach on Gavutu with another landing force. The firebase on hill 121 will be able to provide MG and mortar fire into probably 50%+ of the locations on Gavutu. Using a conservative approach will keep casualties down. The AFV heavily covered by infantry and HW's are practically unassailable by the IJN. Once the two assault groups on Tanambogo are across the cause way and linking with the forces in the beach assault...it is just about over. The Marine FP, armor, numbers and moral advantage slowly overwhelms the IJN without needing to take a lot of risks.

Assault period four is usually a "whack-uh-mole" type endeavor on Gavutu, assuming the IJN player hasn't already thrown in the towel.

I have played G&T 4 times...IJN and Marine...the Marine has won each time...not even close.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also, on the LC, isn't the CA armored?
The first wave lands in LCVs. These are unarmored. The other groups (except the two tanks) land in LCP(L). These are armored on the front.

JR

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first wave lands in LVTs. These are unarmored. The other groups (except the two tanks) land in LCP(L). These are armored on the front.

JR

Those are not LVTs. They are LCVP and are armored from all directions, but still OT. The LCP(L)s are only front CA armored.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Using the VASL map for reference)

The Tanambogo hinterland is the way to go...the IJN has to defend the beaches, he can't risk ceding a fast, easy landing to the Marines. Ignore Gaomi and land in the Tanambogo hinterlands. If Gaomi fires and loses ? then put the NOBA on them. Once landed the Marines assault hill 121 from the landing zone and move units up the hill from the south...up and over to the jungle. Searching for any caves...dropping DC's from above the caves. Get a fire base setup on the hill top...hex F7 has LOS into all but one of the jungle locations. Keep attacking toward the beach. Also, on the LC, isn't the CA armored? At least I thought it was.

If all goes well on Tanambogo during the first assault period, I will usually go night during the second. If Gaomi is still a problem I go after it and bring on the group with the AFV. I come into the beach area of Tanambogo and start heading to the cause way. I also use the night to dig foxholes on the top of hill 121...hexes F8 and G8. That is where the mortars/MG's are going for the 3rd/4th assault periods.

Assault period 3 I am attacking across the cause way and assaulting the beach on Gavutu with another landing force. The firebase on hill 121 will be able to provide MG and mortar fire into probably 50%+ of the locations on Gavutu. Using a conservative approach will keep casualties down. The AFV heavily covered by infantry and HW's are practically unassailable by the IJN. Once the two assault groups on Tanambogo are across the cause way and linking with the forces in the beach assault...it is just about over. The Marine FP, armor, numbers and moral advantage slowly overwhelms the IJN without needing to take a lot of risks.

Assault period four is usually a "whack-uh-mole" type endeavor on Gavutu, assuming the IJN player hasn't already thrown in the towel.

I have played G&T 4 times...IJN and Marine...the Marine has won each time...not even close.
only issue IU see is the dropping DCs to seal caves, climbing down and tossing one in is only a 50/50 proposition you are going to get it in there- a dr 1-3 is good, 4-6 is missed.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Those are not LVTs. They are LCVP and are armored from all directions, but still OT. The LCP(L)s are only front CA armored.
In Gung Ho there were no LCV counters, and the LCVP are deemed LCV instead. See SSR GT4 in the early verison of G-T. For everywhere I wrote "LVT," read "LCV" instead. That was purely and simply a typo on my part. I will correct the posts. In Rising Sun LCV counters have been included and are printed on the OB.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
They are LCVP and are armored from all directions, but still OT.
As an additional point, despite being OT per G12.123 all LC passengers except "big" vehicles and guns are BU through armored facings. They are unaffected by small arms/MGs through those facings, but can still be affected by collateral attacks by other weapons. In contrast the inherent crew is always CE [G12.11]. One of the things you might consider with the LCP(L)s is firing on them using small arms in hopes of a favorable stun spin, exposing their unarmored sides.

JR