How to view play thru files?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi -- I Dl'd some VASL play throughs of a SASL campaign quite a while ago but never managed to open them. These files came from a site linked in the COOL SASL resources thread.
The link given at the beginning of that thread is broken but for some reason this one works... So I dl the .zips, and I get a bunch of very promising files with names like pregame.vasl and turn1.vasl etc-- but vasl won't open .vasl files. I try renaming the files to to .vlog or .vsav but that doesn't help... The files do open with .txt extensions... but they aren't text files -- it's all code.

Anybody know how I get these things to run in VASL 6.2.2 (I think that's what I'm running... the latest one)?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may need to speak with the vASL experts on here...just a thought
If the issue were well known to readers of the SASL forum I think I'd have gotten an answer, so I bet you're right. My guess is that the problem is the version of VASL I'm using-- these are older files that require an older VASL. I'll see if the VASL forum can help.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I opened the main link then just clicked on a couple of links and they opened just fine for me. I suppose you could open them and do a copy & paste to your word processor if you're wanting to save them.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I opened the main link then just clicked on a couple of links and they opened just fine for me. I suppose you could open them and do a copy & paste to your word processor if you're wanting to save them.
What version of VASL did you open the logs in?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I added an edit a few minutes later that didn't show up.

The after action reports opened no problem, but not the Log files. Their tag is .asl. I've never heard of it and when asked what should open the file, none of those worked nor did I find anything that would open them. I tried to go into the preferences to see if I could find something to open the file (6.21) with no luck either. Sorry for misleading you.

I think a good question to ask might be how to open up a log file from a third person (not the one or two people who played the game.)

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
File -> Load Game... should work for these. Then you use the right ||> arrow to step through actions. On subsequent files you can either Load Continuation..., or close the game and do a fresh Load game on the next one to reset the board. This is safer than load continuation in case you accidentally move a piece or something.

Note that on a quick test with vasl 6.2.2, I see the friendly units are there and move, but things like the SASL turn track, suspect ?'s, in-command markers, etc are not. Looks like counter names have changed, as there is also some error spam at the start.

- Bad Data in Module: Image not found suspect1
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Lev1
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Lev2
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Sniper
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found amH50dm
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found alvpo
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found axvpo
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found c126
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found baz43

Probably will need earlier version of vasl like 5.9.2 from vasl.info to view these properly, possibly even going as far back as 5.6.

Last edited:

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
File -> Load Game... should work for these. Then you use the right ||> arrow to step through actions. On subsequent files you can either Load Continuation..., or close the game and do a fresh Load game on the next one to reset the board. This is safer than load continuation in case you accidentally move a piece or something.

Note that on a quick test with vasl 6.2.2, I see the friendly units are there and move, but things like the SASL turn track, suspect ?'s, in-command markers, etc are not. Looks like counter names have changed, as there is also some error spam at the start.

- Bad Data in Module: Image not found suspect1
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Lev1
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Lev2
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Sniper
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found amH50dm
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found alvpo
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found axvpo
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found c126
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found baz43

Probably will need earlier verhsion of vasl like 5.9.2 from vasl.info to view these properly, possibly even going as far back as 5.6.
Wow. You're right. I can't believe I hadn't tried that before. It worked for me as it did for you with lots of *Image not found*s -- I don't have legacy VASL's. It's a shame about these logs being unusuable for newer players, I think hiding in there are some very thorough play throughs.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow. You're right. I can't believe I hadn't tried that before. It worked for me as it did for you with lots of *Image not found*s -- I don't have legacy VASL's. It's a shame about these logs being unusuable for newer players, I think hiding in there are some very thorough play throughs.
Many old vasl versions are still up at http://vasl.info/download.htm . Not sure if the newer boards are compatible, but if not can always get old ones from the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070304220458/http://www.vasl.org/boards.htm