How to make a Dice Tower?

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Since I still have a couple of weeks vacation I thought I might give a try at making my own dice tower.

Does anyone have or know where to get, instructions or plans, to help make a dice tower out of wood?

Thanks

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is a good idea. Denis, where are you from in Quebec City? I am from Beauport and will be visiting my father next summer. Wouldn't mind playing a game while down there...

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Josh,

I live just to the north of the city in Val-Belair. A 15min drive to CFB Valcartier where I work.

Your more than welcome to come by for a game. Send me a PM/E-Mail when you have some dates in mind.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I suggest getting some Lego (steal off any kid, they should have heaps aftr Xmas :bandit: ) and trying out some designs... works well and is colourful too! Change to wood, plastic, titanium whatever after you got the basics down

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will. I am in Winnipeg, a plumber here on the base. I am retiring this upcoming summer and will visit my dad for a couple of weeks. I'll drop you a line.

Priest

Reaction score
I believe you can et the dimensions for a dice tower at Sam Belchers site, not sure though. Basically a dice tower is around 8.5" high the roll out table a little longer than the tower is high (you may want to store the tower inside the roll out table when not in use to save space.) Also the tower is about 3" wide. The sides around the roll out table about 1.5" high, made from clear plastic. The inside of the tower should have some slanted baffles ( to get the die rolling.) There should be a piece of wood at the bottom rear of the tower positioned at a 45 degree angle in order to get the dice to deflect out of the tower and onto the roll out table. The exit hole from the tower to the roll out tabel about 1.5". You should line the roll out table with felt to keep things quite. Choice of wood is whatever you want and/or can afford.

Last edited:

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the replies so far.

Unfortunatly dicetower.com only displays some already made towers and not any details.

Priest, your discription is much help and I have made my first prototype. More tres until I am happy though.

sdkfz, the other site you linked has some good walkthroughs and I think that will help me out.

Thanks again,
Birdgunner

James Johnson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
I believe you can et the dimensions for a dice tower at Sam Belchers site, not sure though. Basically a dice tower is around 8.5" high the roll out table a little longer than the tower is high (you may want to store the tower inside the roll out table when not in use to save space.) Also the tower is about 3" wide. The sides around the roll out table about 1.5" high, made from clear plastic. The inside of the tower should have some slanted baffles ( to get the die rolling.) There should be a piece of wood at the bottom rear of the tower positioned at a 45 degree angle in order to get the dice to deflect out of the tower and onto the roll out table. The exit hole from the tower to the roll out tabel about 1.5". You should line the roll out table with felt to keep things quite. Choice of wood is whatever you want and/or can afford.
I would recommend dispensing with the sound-deadening felt. Unless you have little ones asleep when you play, it's more of a burden than a help.

For example, I tell my opponent that my 10-3 death star is firing at his 4-2-6 and I roll snake-eyes. He's daydreaming and doesn't see me roll. I tell him what happened but he's dubious because my last roll was also a 2.

When he hears my dice clinking through the tower though, he's rudely awakened and there's no doubt that the roll is fresh.

James

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like a Steve Pleva Magnum model, personally I have a custom made Stealth Tower 4400, he uses a hard yet quite foam instead of felt.