How to fight a pillbox?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
What the title says. I will have my first scenario with pillboxes soon. I have DCs and mortars on my side, that's it, and I have no idea what I should do about them.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smoke pillbox hex, isolate it, destroy it in CC. If no smoke, isolate it and approach outside covered arc for CC.

DC works also, but I usually save them for better targets.

Rich

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This depends greatly on how they fit in the scenario. Sometimes you ignore them, sometimes you need to get past them, sometimes you have to suppress them (break their contents), and sometimes you have to take/eliminate them. Mortars can help you get past them (SMOKE) but generally won't help (directly) with suppression or taking them. DCs will suppress or take/eliminate them, but usually won't help if you want to get past one. The easiest way to eliminate pillbox positions is with CC. The defender has to support his pillbox to prevent this; otherwise with its limited CA it can be quite easy to get into the hex with the pillbox.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well .. one of my opponents love just sitting there taking pot shots at pillboxes with the mortar .. with the high rate of fire you might get a few SANs but you might also get a critical hit or two in which case the + mods reverse themselves with double the MTR (non area) firepower!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well .. one of my opponents love just sitting there taking pot shots at pillboxes with the mortar .. with the high rate of fire you might get a few SANs but you might also get a critical hit or two in which case the + mods reverse themselves with double the MTR (non area) firepower!
not if firing from the NCA (B30.113): the NCA TEM is considered zero for CH resolution)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The mods on the NCA TEM for a CH is treated as zero, not reversed [B30.113]. The NCA TEM is always used by Indirect Fire, which includes MTRs. The MTR FP is still doubled for a CH.

JR

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
The mods on the NCA TEM for a CH is treated as zero, not reversed [B30.113]. The NCA TEM is always used by Indirect Fire, which includes MTRs. The MTR FP is still doubled for a CH.

JR
My opponent just turned me onto this in a recent game.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My opponent just turned me onto this in a recent game.
Hehe, gotta love those ASL moments:

A (delighted with relief):
"Hah! I have just beaten you to smithereens. Nothing left of that one, pal."

B (with that half begnin, half relenting smile):
"Hold on a sec. It might have just escaped you that as per rule [destruction of all your joy] you are in error. So in fact I am unharmed. Besides, I think you triggered my Sniper just there."

von Marwitz

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hehe, gotta love those ASL moments:

A (delighted with relief):
"Hah! I have just beaten you to smithereens. Nothing left of that one, pal."

B (with that half begnin, half relenting smile):
"Hold on a sec. It might have just escaped you that as per rule [destruction of all your joy] you are in error. So in fact I am unharmed. Besides, I think you triggered my Sniper just there."

von Marwitz
The idea that you could destroy infantry inside a pillbox by firing a 50mm MTR at it from outside its covered arc is honestly quite ridiculous. Unless there was a pile of HE ammunition stacked next to it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like to pump AP rounds against a pillbox.
No TEM so easy hit, but with a HE equivalent of 1 or 2 FP.
But 1 or 2 FP flat can do some harm.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The idea that you could destroy infantry inside a pillbox by firing a 50mm MTR at it from outside its covered arc is honestly quite ridiculous. Unless there was a pile of HE ammunition stacked next to it.
Could be they all stepped out for a smoke. It's not for no reason that they say smoking is bad for your health.

JR

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Could be they all stepped out for a smoke. It's not for no reason that they say smoking is bad for your health.

JR
Did most pillboxes have No Smoking signs inside? That is vital and new information!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Did most pillboxes have No Smoking signs inside? That is vital and new information!
Right next to the "fasten seatbelts" sign. Also, tampering with the smoke detector in the lavatory is a federal crime.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Would manning some artillery pieces require prohibition of smoking?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What the title says. I will have my first scenario with pillboxes soon. I have DCs and mortars on my side, that's it, and I have no idea what I should do about them.
Smoke the Hex and then place a DC in it, to quote Lt Rasczak of Rasczaks' roughnecks fame 'If you find a bug hole. Nuke it!'
Lieutenant_Jean_Rasczak.jpg