How to capture an unarmed unit

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I ponder the option of releasing a few prisoners. But how (if at all) can I recapture them afterwards?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Put out an APB. Watch the bus and train stations. Round up the usual suspects.

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I ponder the option of releasing a few prisoners. But how (if at all) can I recapture them afterwards?
That's why I generally don't invoke NQ. You can keep on taking prisoners and then release them to the wild. Just make sure you don't leave behind and SWs or unscrounged wrecks.

By invoking NQ you give your opponent an "out" as they can then route away even if interdicted.

Mind you, my opponent once released one of my prisoners, and then I rolled a 1,1 and rearmed them. Caused merry havoc in his rear areas. So it can bite you in the bum sometimes.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I made a mistake and captured an enemy unit - I could have moved so that it would have been eliminated for failure to rout, but I didn't. So now a guard HS guards a prison full squad and can't shoot, but might have to.

If I let the prisoners go, they become Good Order and count for my opponents VC. Worse, there are a lot of SW scattered around. If they pick up a machine gun and start firing at me, I'm still not allowed to fight back without risking the Massacre penalties, right? A bad situation...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If I let the prisoners go, they become Good Order and count for my opponents VC. Worse, there are a lot of SW scattered around. If they pick up a machine gun and start firing at me, I'm still not allowed to fight back without risking the Massacre penalties, right? A bad situation...
If they pick up a SW, then they are armed and no longer protected...

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
If they pick up a SW, then they are armed and no longer protected...
Is that so?

A20.53 states: "Abandoned prisoners are still subject to the protection of 20.3-.4 (i.e., an abandoned prisoner subsequently eliminated by the side that abandoned it causes the Massacre rule to take immediate effect)." There's no distinction between armed and unarmed here.

The only Q&A I could find states that prisoners are not protected after they have rearmed according to A20.551, but then, they are replaced by a green/conscript counter anyways and are no longer abandoned prisoners, but are treated as every other squad.