How to become better at using AFVs in ASL?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find that Rock Sgt. Dan is one of the most notorious trolls here on GS. He's been quiet for a while, now apparently, he's popped up again.

His usual ploy is to question the obvious and then laughing his a** off while those not yet acqainted to him pain themselves trying to explain it to him. Or he is encouraging others to do some work for him by following up on some of his notions. Numerous veteran players have offered to teach him the game years ago. He has never taken up the offer.

He went to my Ignore List years ago. No other user around here has ever deserved it more than him IMHO.

Of course everyone is free to handle him as he sees fit. Find out for yourself. I wouldn't waste my time. Just my 2 cents. Never regretted it, I won't even care to check if he's changed. He has duly earned my doubting that in the past.

von Marwitz
Sure leaves one in a quandary though when someone replies to his posts and you've put him on ignore. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what Gordon & Jim were talking about!:unsure::p:whistle:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sure leaves one in a quandary though when someone replies to his posts and you've put him on ignore. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what Gordon & Jim were talking about!:unsure::p:whistle:
If a page of a thread contains 'ignored content', then you can see this at the bottom of that page:

Clicking on that will temporarily show you the ignored content without you having to adjust your Ignore List. The next time, you refresh/reload the page, the ignored content is blended out again.

If the replies of non-ignored members seem strange, you see the 'Show ignored content' option at the bottom, and some of the numbered posts in the thread are missing, then you can be pretty sure that non-ignored members have been replying and/or quoting ignored members.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There is one thing which you can't multiply in life: Time.
Ignoring some saves you time better spent on anything else.

von Marwitz
Bad people succeed when no one is there to call them to account. I believe you recently said that to me, or something close to that. Having said that, there are many adrift in the vast sea of my indifference. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Bad people succeed when no one is there to call them to account. I believe you recently said that to me, or something close to that.
That is the very reason why I made some people who did apparently not know about RSD aware of his 'history' here. To do so, I don't need to deal with RSD but I might shorten the time for those unaware of him to see for themselves and make up their minds. This defines the limits of what I can do, as I am not a moderator nor do I set rules of this forum all the while adhering to them.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The picture looked in bypass to me. I don't play much DASL. You're correct, the unit could move to either Location. The text said "even in bypass" hence my confusion.
-- jim
Any specific reasons for not playing DASL much?🤔

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Too bad it doesn't see more play. I really enjoyed it. Streets of Fire played much more than Hedgerow Hell.
One of the things that is different about DASL is how confined it is. It take 4 DASL boards to make a whole normal board. The counter density tends to be higher. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One of the things that is different about DASL is how confined it is. It take 4 DASL boards to make a whole normal board. The counter density tends to be higher. -- jim
Well I suppose that's the nature of the beast and what is supposed to be represented. The lack of diversity of the scenarios may have something to do with it also. ☹

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading the initial thread discussion about an AFV in bypass, motion and the resulting Perry Sez looks to me to have some unpleasant consequences (to me).

One is that an AFV in bypass still having one MP left after an unsuccessful SD attempt, with two hexes in its VCA, one brush, one open ground, must move into the open ground hex (or stop or ESB), thus vacating bypass of the hex.

Therefore, the use of a SD, usually a small number, often becomes a bad choice in bypass.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading the initial thread discussion about an AFV in bypass, motion and the resulting Perry Sez looks to me to have some unpleasant consequences (to me).

One is that an AFV in bypass still having one MP left after an unsuccessful SD attempt, with two hexes in its VCA, one brush, one open ground, must move into the open ground hex (or stop or ESB), thus vacating bypass of the hex.

Therefore, the use of a SD, usually a small number, often becomes a bad choice in bypass.
Wait, doesn't an AFV in bypass only have one hex in its VCA?

Edit: I'm also not sure that I would agree with you that making VBM trickier to achieve is an "unpleasant" consequence.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VBM is a bad idea for monster tanks, especially if you stop there. It makes a side hit very easy. I beg you to believe me. It basically cuts a 120 deg. front facing down to 60 deg or so. Ever want to bypass a open ground hex to place the tank on a vortex ? I have.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
VBM is a bad idea for monster tanks, especially if you stop there. It makes a side hit very easy. I beg you to believe me. It basically cuts a 120 deg. front facing down to 60 deg or so. Ever want to bypass a open ground hex to place the tank on a vortex ? I have.
Bypassing an Open Ground hex. Interesting.🤔🤔🤔 Requires some contemplation. NRBH so will check later.

Any other tidbits along those lines you would like to share?😉

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Bypassing an Open Ground hex. Interesting.🤔🤔🤔 Requires some contemplation. NRBH so will check later.
It won't do. Only Woods and Buildings can be bypassed:

D2.3 VEHICULAR BYPASS MOVEMENT (VBM): VBM enables vehicles (and animal-drawn transport) to move through a building/woods hex at a reduced MP (MF) cost without risking Bog penalties for movement through those obstacles.

von Marwitz