How to become better at using AFVs in ASL?

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Ain't it obvious?? ?

You have a 'Heroic' 10-3 as a Passenger on a an M4a1 (76) manning the AAMG, the Sherman manned by an 'E-lite' crew (special ammo depletion) and a 10-2 AL in a town that has been overrun by three Fanatic Sapper/Combat Engineer/Commando 347s, lead by their 10-2 Sgt.

Wouldn't you button up?

Jeezzz!! :rolleyes: ?
Was a joke......?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should probably go back and re-read then because this was discussed at length ;)

I call this the Fortenberry special. I am sure others have done it, maybe even some earlier than Gary, but it was he who taught it to me (and not in a friendly way either ;) ) -- jim
It's always in the most friendly way, Jim!

I don't know if I'm the first to do that, but I saw the possibilities very early in my ASL career.

Did that to Fish once during a pre-ASLOK game and got the Fish-grin/snort followed by the coveted 'Jick' moniker bestowed upon me post haste.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It's always in the most friendly way, Jim!

I don't know if I'm the first to do that, but I saw the possibilities very early in my ASL career.

Did that to Fish once during a pre-ASLOK game and got the Fish-grin/snort followed by the coveted 'Jick' moniker bestowed upon me post haste.
An honorific certainly well earned!!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not horse dung, that was an outhouse Crapgame and Willard sheltered behind. Crapgame throws a Toilet seat to the side after they recover.

That was people poop Cowboy was smellin' on the heroes.
If I recall, Cowboy says "you'all smell like you fell into a dung heap" So yea, you are correct, not horse but you got the reference.

"Makes you homesick, don't it?"

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I recall, Cowboy says "you'all smell like you fell into a dung heap" So yea, you are correct, not horse but you got the reference.

"Makes you homesick, don't it?"
You know it does, kinda ,don’t it old buddy?

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is why my tanks are behind my line of infantry, especially if my opponent has tanks.. 9 times out of 10, my tanks have a supporting squad in hex or near it, and I use combined arms. A tank in built up terrain is dead without infantry support, and an assault gun is just a soon to be pillbox if it is w/o infantry support. I keep my big guns in well sited locations with several alt locations in case they get smoked out. Artillery is what is best used to help clear a town. Shells are cheap to make. so if I can use several tons of 105 mm+ HE shells to blast out a location so be it. I follow the Canadian view at Vimey Ridge, better shells than lives. When the Canadians advanced, the first and second trenches were shell shocked. Same idea for me. I have also used the tactic of selecting a location for assault guns with a supporting hidden AT gun just to prevent an overrun. Tanks are meant for open ground, not cities, or forested areas.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Please remember by late '44 German commanders lost a lot of the operational freedom they had before. The T-34 didn't want to face Panthers either and were often rip to pieces when they had to close any extended distance. Command and control often decide battles, the German Army lost that by'44. Hitler new best.....
Yup Hitler was the allies best secret weapon, Different story though if he had not interfered with his Generals. I think D-Day would have been a disaster if the SS divisions were sent to the coast asap, rather than being left in situe. That is what Rommel recommended not allow the Allies to get the bridgehead.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
5) The BT tanks, are fast light and carry the 45L... also the tracks can be taken off to improve road movement. Ever consider using them to move to your opponents rear areas......What a surprise to your opponent when your BT's use roads and move farther than they expected. Use their mobility to the max, a platoon of light tanks to your rear could surprise you.
Is taking off the tracks to move faster on roads in any way reflected in ASL? Looked at the vehicle notes and could not find anything.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Is taking off the tracks to move faster on roads in any way reflected in ASL? Looked at the vehicle notes and could not find anything.

von Marwitz
I believe up post someone mentioned that. IIRC there was no benefit. Would make an interesting SSR. Paul might be able to calculate what the increased rate would be.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Driving a tank on it's tracks actually slows down the vehicle. The BT tank had road wheels that were actually driven , so would be like a car..On road travel is a lot different and faster than cross country.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe up post someone mentioned that. IIRC there was no benefit. Would make an interesting SSR. Paul might be able to calculate what the increased rate would be.
I tend to doubt it was done in tactical situations - it would leave you only three options - abandon the tracks permanently, come back and put the track on (labour-intensive work not usually done under fire) or have someone in echelon come and fetch the track (not a trivial matter). I can't imagine a commander ever feeling the extra kph would be consequential enough in the short term to make the expenditure of effort worth it. There were few improved roads in the Soviet Union in any event.

Wikipedia says it took 30 minutes to engage the chain drive and remove the tracks, for what it is worth.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I tend to doubt it was done in tactical situations - it would leave you only three options - abandon the tracks permanently, come back and put the track on (labour-intensive work not usually done under fire) or have someone in echelon come and fetch the track (not a trivial matter). I can't imagine a commander ever feeling the extra kph would be consequential enough in the short term to make the expenditure of effort worth it. There were few improved roads in the Soviet Union in any event.

Wikipedia says it took 30 minutes to engage the chain drive and remove the tracks, for what it is worth.
Very nice assessment. I have no doubt you are correct.
IIRC in SL you could repair/replace damaged tracks. Can't remember the details but believe I attempted it because that's the kind of thing I would have loved to try.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Very nice assessment. I have no doubt you are correct.
IIRC in SL you could repair/replace damaged tracks. Can't remember the details but believe I attempted it because that's the kind of thing I would have loved to try.
Repair of an immobilized AFV required a 2 DR - possibly with some DRM from a CE armor leader.
Hardly something one ever had the leisure to do if the tank were in LOS of an enemy unit.
ASL dropped that rule, presumably because it was excessive chrome.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Repair of an immobilized AFV required a 2 DR - possibly with some DRM from a CE armor leader.
Hardly something one ever had the leisure to do if the tank were in LOS of an enemy unit.
ASL dropped that rule, presumably because it was excessive chrome.
Yes seemed beyond the time frame of the game.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Having tanks bolting down the road at 70-90 kph does little for you when your guns and infantry will be moving in columns at 40-50 kph, even in an admin move. If you run into the enemy you've likely just lost you tanks.

A very good day in WWII, even with light/no resistance, was only some 30-50 km (not much further than Napoleon or Caesar, really). The reasons for this are numerous but mainly had to do with unit formation and force security while advancing in hostile territory.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Having tanks bolting down the road at 70-90 kph does little for you when your guns and infantry will be moving columns at 40-50 kph, even in an admin move. If you run into the enemy you've liklely just lost you tanks.

A very good day in WWII, even with light/no resistance, was only some 30-50 km per day (not much further than Napoleon or Caesar, really). The reasons for this are numerous but mainly had to do with unit formation and force security while advancing in hostile territory.
And waiting for Monty ;) -- jim