How to become better at using AFVs in ASL?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It won't do. Only Woods and Buildings can be bypassed:

D2.3 VEHICULAR BYPASS MOVEMENT (VBM): VBM enables vehicles (and animal-drawn transport) to move through a building/woods hex at a reduced MP (MF) cost without risking Bog penalties for movement through those obstacles.

von Marwitz
Finally got to check the rules, seems that way. Not sure if I misread Bob's post or misunderstood his intent. Doing chores so will pursue this later.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It won't do. Only Woods and Buildings can be bypassed:

D2.3 VEHICULAR BYPASS MOVEMENT (VBM): VBM enables vehicles (and animal-drawn transport) to move through a building/woods hex at a reduced MP (MF) cost without risking Bog penalties for movement through those obstacles.

von Marwitz
Clarification. Bob said ever " want " to bypass an open ground hex, not that he has. Sorry Bob.☹
In my defense had cat butt in face while reading his post.🤣🤪🤮

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clarification. Bob said ever " want " to bypass an open ground hex, not that he has. Sorry Bob.☹
In my defense had cat butt in face while reading his post.🤣🤪🤮
Sometimes one hex is too far left and the hex next to it is too far right. The vertex is where you need to be to see your target but can’t because a house isn’t there.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes one hex is too far left and the hex next to it is too far right. The vertex is where you need to be to see your target but can’t because a house isn’t there.
The ability to do this would make for some interesting situations. 🤔

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the things that is different about DASL is how confined it is. It take 4 DASL boards to make a whole normal board. The counter density tends to be higher. -- jim
Played quite a bit of DASL a couple of years ago. Got the AFV bypass rules down pretty well. Almost any AFV maneuver on DASL boards will require you to know how to use vehicle bypass effectively.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Played quite a bit of DASL a couple of years ago. Got the AFV bypass rules down pretty well. Almost any AFV maneuver on DASL boards will require you to know how to use vehicle bypass effectively.
Nice observation!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I haven't played DASL in ages, and I'm not sure - the VBM rules are not changed for DASL, right? you still only need the thickness of a counter between the hexside and the obstacle to allow VBM?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're correct. The significant changes in Ch. J are for residual vs. bypass, hand-to-hand allowed in CC, single-story houses (buildings not on the center dot) which may have been absorbed into the main rules (B23.21) & bombardment.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
'Panzer Gegen Panzer' written way back in the days of ASL Annuals and reprinted in the OoA1 is an excellent read and was my primer to getting a handle on tanks. The super tanks are deadly enough but don't discount a Pz I, L3/35 or TKS. This early tanks are usually small or very small targets and can be very deadly when used correctly.
Actually. "Panzer Gegen Panzer was in OoA2. OoA1 had an excellent treatise on the Night rules.

Question: is there an actual article anywhere specifically on the Dance Of Death?

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually. "Panzer Gegen Panzer was in OoA2. OoA1 had an excellent treatise on the Night rules.

Question: is there an actual article anywhere specifically on the Dance Of Death?
The article =first= appeared in an Annual: Panzer Gegen Panzer Tank Warfare in ASL, by Bruce E. Bakken An93a_p5

Appearance in OotA2_p4 was a reprint.