How should this be resolved

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a game. Paraphrasing Nadir, it takes two people to get it half right. ASL is best played as a cooperative contest.

Reminds me of a wrestling coach when asked before a match if it was going to be a problem if his team had stickers on their head gear. He said he didn't care. Came down to the last match and his team needed one more point. He pointed to the ref that the sticker was illegal and demanded his one point. He got it and won the dual. Don't be that guy.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I had this done to me once at a tournament. I fixed my mistake and he A.2'd his mistake, even though we hadn't moved to the next phase. He pulled out the ASOP and made his point. I lost the game on the 2nd turn but I played all 8 turns, telling him he was free to resign at any time. The game lasted until 0800 the next morning, a full 15 hours. I read the ASOP from top to bottom for EVERY piece moved EVERY HEX. He would move a unit 1 hex, I would tell him to hold, and then read the whole ASOP before telling him he could move to the next hex. Then do it all over again. My turns took hours. His turns took even more.

Why you ask? Because fuck him, that's why.
I have some love for that approach - "I don't get mad. I get even..."

Yet hard to tell, how I would react if this happened to me.

In general, I always play friendly, no matter if it is a normal game or a tournament. I am there for the fun, so if a misunderstood setup-area screwed up the game, I'd tell my opponent before the game starts and have him fix it. I am not anal about the ASOP if my opponent confuses the order of repairing and deployment, I'd also allow him a repair attempt if he noticed that he forgot so during his next fire phase.

If I do get sharking in return such as described, then I'd turn sour. If my opponent has a reputation for sharking or being overly ambitious in the line that 'the win' is more important than 'the game', I would weigh my personal desire to have fun against the "I don't get mad. I get even..."-approach.

If my personal desire for fun wins, I'd end the game, concede, and express to the opponent what I think of his handling. I'd also not hesitate to let others hear the story and the name. But wasting more hours on that guy? Meh.
If the darker side wins, I can sure could make his 'win' a pain. Under certain circumstances, some sort of fanatic streak might be kindled in me. The latter way is less likely, because I would have to sacrifice some of my fun to kill his, which is - as we know - not really worth it.

In any case, I would not play that guy in the future.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am still wondering what really happened here. Were the reinforcements not set up to enter, and play proceeded to the Prep Fire Phase or beyond?

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To clear things up. I was just about to move my units on during the movement phase (of the normal turn of entry) when I was told that since I had not set them up during the Rally phase I could not bring them on. But he would let me bring them on next turn

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
To clear things up. I was just about to move my units on during the movement phase (of the normal turn of entry) when I was told that since I had not set them up during the Rally phase I could not bring them on. But he would let me bring them on next turn
That reminded me of CH25 Land of the Khan, a very long time ago at the Avaloncon. Same stuff

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty cheesy but not sleazy. A big factor for me would have been the situation at the time of your MPh and the options on bringing your reinforcements in (e.g. would/did you change the entry hexes/area because of the changed situation since the PFPh?). In all I think it could have been resolved a bit more equitably but perhaps if he'd just received a beat down and your ability to take advantage of a new situation by altering your entry area(s) was a bit of possible/potential sleaze on your part, at least a viewd by your opponent. Always a tough call with a new opponent.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
If it's "reinforcements enter on/after turn X" on the scenario card, it might seem that you originally wanted to enter later but unexpected events in the PFPh made you change your mind. In that case, denying you to set your reinforcement up now is not reprehensible. Even if it's just some concealment you managed to strip during PFPh, that might give you a big advantage when it comes to where exactly to enter the map.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wouldn't that be the same perspective if the player didn't setup his units Properly off board? just as the player didn't setup properly ONBOARD?
Yeah, kind of hinting at that. Perhaps a stomp on the floor a few times for emphasis may have alerted him to the the fact what goes around comes around.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, kind of hinting at that. Perhaps a stomp on the floor a few times for emphasis may have alerted him to the the fact what goes around comes around.
This! Although in the OP's case, it also depends on how much the situation developed between the RPh and the MPh.

That said, in for a penny, in for a quid pro quo.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it's "reinforcements enter on/after turn X" on the scenario card, it might seem that you originally wanted to enter later but unexpected events in the PFPh made you change your mind. In that case, denying you to set your reinforcement up now is not reprehensible. Even if it's just some concealment you managed to strip during PFPh, that might give you a big advantage when it comes to where exactly to enter the map.
I thought it is both players responsibility to play the scenario right.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Could they only - per the scenario card - enter on that Turn? (or was it and "on/after" situation?)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
REminds me of a friends experience in a tournament. Tony is a very easy going guy who enjoys playing but doesn't care about winning. He wants to play a good game and make as few mistakes as he can, if that leads to a win, great but if not (due to dice or whatever) he's fine with that.
Bellies up to his opponent, choice of 3 scenarios. "what do you want to play?" "I'm not worried, do you have a preference?" " This one?" "sure" "Can I take the defenders?" "OK".
then the chap proceeds to bring out a book of set up, odds of moving plans for defence etc. It was obvious he'd prcaticed this one from beginning to end. As Tony says, it was ayt that point I decided I had not only to beat this guy, but to crush him with no mercy whatsoever.
I've never seen him play angry...I never want to be on the recieving end of it!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have some love for that approach - "I don't get mad. I get even..."

Yet hard to tell, how I would react if this happened to me.
I don't know enough about this particular case in this particular thread. I don't know enough, so I wouldn't pass judgement other than to say, I would likely let him enter and I would have most likely reminded him to set up his reinforcements as he turn started. In my circle of friends, we play a pretty loose with the order so long as you don't gain advantage from it. You forget to repair a weapon, that's OK, you can repair it now. About the only hard and fast rule I have on the proper order of things is SMOKE comes first.

Based on this, I would ALMOST certainly let you come on. I would be a bit miffed if you broke some key unit and then proceeded to take advantage of that knowledge bringing on your boys but I wouldn't stop you. It would piss me off having given him a break and not having him show the same level of sportsmanship. I figure you were just beating him badly and he was looking to save his pride. Were we playing and he did that to me, he better damn well know the ASOP better than I do. ;) -- jim

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
...Were we playing and he did that to me, he better damn well know the ASOP better than I do. ;) -- jim
I doubt you know the ASOP well if it took you 15 h to finish a regular scenario ;)

In the Supporting Fire tournament my opponent and I forgot to bring in his reinforcements- a whole Player turn - we worked out a plausible and reasonable Movement and Advance for his British 6x 458 squads with a Ldr in less than 3 minutes.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I thought it is both players responsibility to play the scenario right.
If it happened to me, I would allow you to set up in the MPh if you insist. If it's a simple oversight on your part, no problem, and if it's sleaze or cheating, you obviously need the win more than I do, so have it.

But I won't judge the moral character of a player I don't know, based on retelling of one side of a story I didn't witness. He might have had good reasons for his actions.