How should this be resolved

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I set up and send my setup to my opponent.

We join up in Vasl ready to play and ALL of his on-board units are placed illegally

I agree to let him move his units.

We play and when turn 2 comes around, and because of something I forget to properly set up my arriving unit at the entry hex(s) (I had pulled them but over stacked them adjacent to the entry hex(s) before my rally phase.

My opponent says that since my units were not set up he "will allow me to set them up and enter on my next turn". Either that or start over (at this point-Note that he has had a couple of valuable units mission killed by my now exposed HIP unit)

Now put this into a Tournament.

How should this be resolved? How would you resolve this as a TD.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To avoid escalation I would simply say "since this has been FUBAR from the get go, why don't we just re-cock and start over. BTW, don't forget to pay attention to your set up restrictions this time." See what he comes back with.:sneaky:

NOTE: If you're under the gun for a time limit, might want to add that it would be a shame to get a victory simply because he failed to set up properly and you didn't feel you had enough time to finish the scenario within the time frame if you had to restart from the begining.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
If my opponent did this to me, I'd argue about the fairness for about 20 seconds, but if he insists, that's the way it is. I would even try to not adjust my general level of generosity when it comes to him doing stuff out of order of the ASOP or take back moves he makes.

As a TD, I'd make an appeal to fairness, but that's it. I won't force someone to let the opponent break the rules. If it is a physical tournament and he spoils the fun for the others, I might take him aside in a quiet moment and ask him to not come back next year.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Last evening I was playing VASL and texting on my phone at the same moment, my head was in another place... I missed all def phase... He kindly moved back everything!! That's the way to play a friendly game. We all know the rules...

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I was at a tournament, I attacked. When i saw his set up, I noticed he got wrong my arriving edge. I told him to change everything before we start. On anorher tourney my opponent didnt told me that he missunderstud my arriving edge until we finish the game, I gave him the chance to replay all. But thats the way I undestand this game

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Before the game, I usually set up the boards and discuss the setup options and victory conditions with my opponent. We might even look up an unusual rule or two and talk about the implications ("How does Deep Snow affect Bicyles again?"). But with VASL and asynchronous preparation, this often isn't feasibly.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
To avoid escalation I would simply say "since this has been FUBAR from the get go, why don't we just re-cock and start over. BTW, don't forget to pay attention to your set up restrictions this time." See what he comes back with.:sneaky:

NOTE: If you're under the gun for a time limit, might want to add that it would be a shame to get a victory simply because he failed to set up properly and you didn't feel you had enough time to finish the scenario within the time frame if you had to restart from the begining.
Wouldn't that be the same perspective if the player didn't setup his units Properly off board? just as the player didn't setup properly ONBOARD?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If my opponent did this to me, I'd argue about the fairness for about 20 seconds, but if he insists, that's the way it is. I would even try to not adjust my general level of generosity when it comes to him doing stuff out of order of the ASOP or take back moves he makes.

As a TD, I'd make an appeal to fairness, but that's it. I won't force someone to let the opponent break the rules. If it is a physical tournament and he spoils the fun for the others, I might take him aside in a quiet moment and ask him to not come back next year.
Sometimes I like playing sticklers because I can play that game to and they’re fun to beat. You don’t have to feel bad about knocking him out if the tournament and you can turn it up to beast mode on the competition scale. No remorse for 16 ROFs and three back to back snake eyes, just a few snarky giggles.
If it were up to me I’d say he forfeits for being duplicitous.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
@Steve

Once you develop a rep for being a Dickweed, er um, a Dick ;)

...your ASL circle rapidly shrinks.

If reason fails, and your opponent persists, I'd either play on as Bob suggests, or, if the game is mathematically unwinnable at that point, concede. Moreover, even where a win is highly unlikely, I'd probably drag this one out to the last CC of the last CCPh--for the sake of the tournament, if nothing else. (In the past, I've taken Michael's advice for a "friendly" game and conceded during a tourney. But I think that a concession rewards the sort of behaviour you experienced.)

Based on personal experience in a tournament setting--and having no prior experience with my opponent--I'd probably call it a wrap the moment I saw the flawed setup, and suggest a friendly game following my default victory. Mind you, I've never done this, and I've been burned a few times for extending courtesies before and during play. But as one ASL player said to me recently in regard to the antics of a tourney opponent, "screw it. I'm not going to put up with this crap. Such 7th grade drama. I just wanna play."

Pretty sure that most TDs would support your decision to call the game after seeing the flawed setup. But once you agree to a reset, all bets are off. And for the record, I don't think many TDs would want to step in to "resolve" disagreements of this sort once play commences. Fortunately, most players will graciously concede, and apologize for messing up the match. It is after all a tournament (and only a game).

Keep in mind that your opponent may have been caught up in the moment, and was not thinking clearly. I'd check with others who've played him before coming to conclusions about his temperament. It may be a one-off, and your opponent regrets being a small-d dick. :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We play and when turn 2 comes around, and because of something I forget to properly set up my arriving unit at the entry hex(s) (I had pulled them but over stacked them adjacent to the entry hex(s) before my rally phase.

My opponent says that since my units were not set up he "will allow me to set them up and enter on my next turn". Either that or start over (at this point-Note that he has had a couple of valuable units mission killed by my now exposed HIP unit)
I guess the question is at what point you noticed you didn't enter? Was it in your Movement Phase for the turn they were supposed to enter? I wouldn't think twice about letting an opponent 'go back' to set up their offboard units at that point. Wouldn't dream of making him wait an entire game turn to do it. Especially for a small 'tournament' scenario where forces are small and timing is crucial.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Steve,

Chris' advice is very good...maybe this was a one-off for who knows what reason. Still, your opponent
was exhibiting really bad sportsmanship. I hope he is reading this thread, so he sees what people think
of this actions.

It's not that life is too short...it's that death is forever!

indy

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

I set up and send my setup to my opponent.

We join up in Vasl ready to play and ALL of his on-board units are placed illegally

I agree to let him move his units.

Now put this into a Tournament.

How should this be resolved? How would you resolve this as a TD.
I had this done to me once at a tournament. I fixed my mistake and he A.2'd his mistake, even though we hadn't moved to the next phase. He pulled out the ASOP and made his point. I lost the game on the 2nd turn but I played all 8 turns, telling him he was free to resign at any time. The game lasted until 0800 the next morning, a full 15 hours. I read the ASOP from top to bottom for EVERY piece moved EVERY HEX. He would move a unit 1 hex, I would tell him to hold, and then read the whole ASOP before telling him he could move to the next hex. Then do it all over again. My turns took hours. His turns took even more.

Why you ask? Because fuck him, that's why.

As a TD, my reaction would be determined based on the information I heard from both players. There is not enough information here to say how I would deal with it, but for the time being, I am sympathetic to your position for the moment. As another player, were we playing, I would say move them on. Honestly, as your opponent, I am about 95% likely to remind you that you have pieces to move on at the beginning of your turn. -- jim