How old are you?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm really surprised at how young many of you are. I'm not sure if the group that frequents this "General Discussion" hotbed is really representative of Warfare HQ as a whole. I believe - and I could be way off - that many of our older members shy away from this forum. They tend to come here for the wargaming, not the political debates.

I was born in 1968 and entered active duty in 1988. I'm just a pup.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I was born in 1978, nearly 200 years after the Declaration of Independence.

How many young people do you know are really hardcore conservatives? Now, it seems that the very words, nationalism and conservatism, are now considered dirty and akin to pedophilia in the world's eyes...

How sad...Oh, excuse my political rants... :D

Dan

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This must be the young pup site. When I was born Truman was the President and the Korean War was raging.

Cheetah--sorry man, you have it easy. Try being a (US) conservative on a major college campus in the fall of 1970, right after Kent State. Among other things, it didn't help you get any dates either.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jag Commander said:
This must be the young pup site. When I was born Truman was the President and the Korean War was raging.

Cheetah--sorry man, you have it easy. Try being a (US) conservative on a major college campus in the fall of 1970, right after Kent State. Among other things, it didn't help you get any dates either.
Actually, had I been a conservative in 1970, I would have signed up for military service. The Vietnam War was a noble cause worth fighting for, and I would have gladly did my duty as a US citizen.

Today, I really don't think I have it easy. Back then, the liberals were a minority group but with a loud voice. Now, this is no longer the case. The liberalism now is more than just a minority, it is the driving force behind the intelligentsia across the universities and other institutions.

I would argue that a conservative living in 21st century faces much tougher liberal criticism and lack of moral values than a conservative in 1970. Of course, I'm not your age or possess the lifetime experience you've gone through, so naturally, I could be wrong.

Dan

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I believe - and I could be way off - that many of our older members shy away from this forum. They tend to come here for the wargaming, not the political debates.

I was born in 1968 and entered active duty in 1988. I'm just a pup.
I was born in '64. I do tend to only participate for the wargaming. With the big 40 this year, does that make me an old gamer??? I was very lucky to find a wargaming club when I was 12. We played Squad Leader, many of the SSI games, and Napoleonic miniatures. I remember many a night playing SSI's War in Europe and Terrible Swift Sword. Oh ... how computers have made games simpler to play, although sometimes I mess the feel of a counter in my hand and the smell of cardboard.

Served as an infantry officer in the 82nd Airborne from 88 to 91 before joining the civilian scum. After an almost twenty year stint out of gaming, I finally discovered PBEM a couple years back. Great to be back in battle!

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
27 ma'self. So...kinda middlin'.

Pops taught me chess when I was really young and Risk. Ma' first computer was the TI994a. First computer wargame was a strategic ICBM game for it. Can't remember the title.

Always been attracted to wargaming even though I'd never have called myself a 'grognard.' Made my own table top game once and wrote some BASIC programs to do all the calculations. I was damned proud of that...too bad no one but myself ever played it. :(

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheetah--had you been there in 1970, I doubt that you would have signed up to go to Nam. Many, especially a majority of the service age folks opposed the war and wanted us to withdraw immediately, regardless of the price. By that time almost everyone else had correctly determined that Viet Nam was an extension of the Korea--limited war, with limited objectives and lines on the map that you could not cross or fire into even if you knew the enemy was there and firing at you. This was a conflict (popular term during the Korean and Viet Nam war eras) where young men were used as cannon fodder for the politicians' (some of them well meaning) political objectives and world view.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jag Commander said:
Cheetah--had you been there in 1970, I doubt that you would have signed up to go to Nam. Many, especially a majority of the service age folks opposed the war and wanted us to withdraw immediately, regardless of the price. By that time almost everyone else had correctly determined that Viet Nam was an extension of the Korea--limited war, with limited objectives and lines on the map that you could not cross or fire into even if you knew the enemy was there and firing at you. This was a conflict (popular term during the Korean and Viet Nam war eras) where young men were used as cannon fodder for the politicians' (some of them well meaning) political objectives and world view.
Sure, I have the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to talk than to practice what I preach on.

Nevertheless, even with hindsight, I still would have signed up for military service, regardless of what went on in Vietnam War. Even if there were no war back then, I would still have signed up anyway.

I don't see serving in military as a kind of job, but a patriotic duty. Maybe that's a bit too idealistic, but if I feel America as a country did give me a whole lot of blessings, then I feel I owe America something in return.

Maybe when I am a bit older, my mind will probably change what I see in Vietnam War and other wars, but for now, I feel what for most part, these wars including the forgotten Korean War fought in 20th century were worth fighting for.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...but I had to say that....

Dan

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheetah772 said:
Hello,

I was born in 1978, nearly 200 years after the Declaration of Independence.

How many young people do you know are really hardcore conservatives? Now, it seems that the very words, nationalism and conservatism, are now considered dirty and akin to pedophilia in the world's eyes...

How sad...Oh, excuse my political rants... :D

Dan
I was born in 1986 and am a hardcore conservative. But you right Cheetah there are many young conservatives out there they either don't care or are being brain washed by the liberal media and school system.:cry:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Born 56

1st Computer TRS80 model 1 in 1983/84 don't remember exactly

Play wargames since 1977 with SG GDW SSI, Wargamer review etc... Got something like 100 plateau games as operation typhoon, Next War In Europe all the War is West series like Fall of France. Or Third world war serie.

Then I move to computer games like TOAW I II & ACOW or Campain series.

Yes I know I'm a old timer

Der WanderAlwaysYoungInHisHead

Brevet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like Jag Commander I was born during the Truman Administration (October 1952) so perhaps I'm not the oldest geezer on the forum. To put things in perspective, my daughter was born in 1981 and my son in 1983 (or 84, I forget).

I started playing wargames in the sandbox when I was a little kid; lighter fluid was napalm and my bb-gun was the queen of the battlefield. I dismembered and melted a lot of little plastic people in my youth.

My first indoor wargame was PanzerBlitz, followed by PanzerLeader, and Squad Leader, etc... I probably owned 20 wargames at one time back in the '80's. I lived in Kansas City, MO. and played with an Army captain who was stationed at Ft. Leavenworth and attending college in Kansas City. I had access to all the Army field manuals and publications without the hassle of actually joining the Army :D

Our first computer was an Apple and my I can't remember the name of the first computer wargame I played. :TRUCE:

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I was born in October 1952. Ireland was different country then that’s for sure!
My first 'Wargame' was when I was about 7 with a pack of cards on the kitchen floor. Black v's Red.
Then Airfix plastic soldiers. In 1973 discovered SSI's S&T. One Wargame per issue ( 6 a year) + stand alone games. Eventually had about 200 wargames of mostly SSI, some AH and Victory games as well. Maybe have about 40 left. Can see 'Siege of Jerusalem' on top of the wardrobe. Unpunched. Anyone any idea how much that would go for?
Then from 1995 computer wargames. Command & Conquer was the first. Great!
Then of course the various editions of COW + a few others like the Campaign Series. AOD; Gettysburg, also CMBB and CMBO. Shogun too.
Trouble is I just don’t have enough time to play all the games I want. Maybe I should take early retirement! Don’t know what the wife would say though…

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Some of us seem to be hobby (freelance) pyromaniacs of model planes etc, or at least have such (police?) records in our youth. I personally have no clue how many 1:72 or 1:24 airplanes I have run around in the garden with, smoke trailing from the fuselage, or 1:32 plastic soldiers who were smashed by my airgun lead, as a kid, as a kid folks, not anymore :hush:

I just wanted to revive MonsterZeros thread from December or so, how many here have in the past or still, been into the plastic modelling? I am seriously thinking about taking it up again (have been for a couple of years, but until recently it has been impossible, guess why :devil: ).

Any oldtimer (> my age of 33) still giving in for that little boy inside and actually building models anymore? Please, if any answers, move them to MonsterZeros thread.

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
i still put together a tank or warbird once in a while, last thing i finished was a TBM Avenger.. I do have a model of the uss essex around here but i dont know what to do with it, its ugly, its painted gray with a dutch flag on top and an orange bottom, and its nearly 10 years old... im thinking about setting it afloat with a few firecrackers on board

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I've more than +100 kits waiting for me. Mostly 1.35 Tanks and some rare 1:72 revell plane.

I keep them for my retiree :D

Der WanderKitBuilder

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Was really into building the plastic models about 20 years ago. Had to put the cement away when the kids were born(they kept getting into everything :D ) but I've recently been toying with the thought of returning to the old pastime.
Still have a 1:35(?) scale F-15, a Tornado, a Harrier and a Twin Otter in the closet somewhere. Really would like to get into the tanks though.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i was born in 1983, my first computer was a 486 running at 25 mghz but i remember to have more fun by the time (until i discover cow and warfare hq of course :D ) games were much better by the time, well of course graphics are better now but most of the time that's all, just have a look at recent adventure game like the last indiana jones and so on, the old ones were much better. look also at century of warfare and compare it to strategic command ( is it a new game :crosseye: ) graphic are not especially better and i don't speak about the game system :rolleyes:
i think i discovered wargames with panzer general 1 from ssi but i have always been attracted by ww2 history

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, I am also a FNG born in 1985... *g*

The first PC game I ever played was Civilization, I remember the day quite well as my father bought 386 PC and got the (at this time quite new game) for free with the machine.

Well, some years later I came to wargaming with SSI´s Panzer General 2, it was part two as part one was declared illegal (or at least unsuitable for minors) in Germany.

I always wanted to get into Tabletop wargaming, but it was hard enough to get someone to play TOAW with me via hotseat and so I never got and will (probably) never get such a thing