how often do you take a break from ASL?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The title says it all. How often do you find that you are putting ASL to one side. These days I have several sessions of intense gaming and then leave it alone for up to several months. I'd like to game more often but RL issues get in the way.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been playing constantly since 2013. 4 x 2 hour sessions a week, 5 or more PBeMs on the side. The only break I took was for a 1.5 months when I had to take a course on the weekend.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I’ve taken two major breaks, largely due to other games/interests as well as burnout, but a total lack of mental energy while raising a toddler extended the last one from six months to four or five years. I’ve learned a lot though about what makes me happy in ASL. I play less than when I played 100+ games a year, I care less about winning, I only play stuff that interests me, I only play with people I enjoy playing with and I don’t PBEM any more because it makes me miserable. In fine, I avoid anything that makes ASL feel like work.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The title says it all. How often do you find that you are putting ASL to one side. These days I have several sessions of intense gaming and then leave it alone for up to several months. I'd like to game more often but RL issues get in the way.
I'll let you know.......................when I take one.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll let you know.......................when I take one.
Over the past 6 years, I have spent on average 6-7 months per year away from home for my humanitarian work. Obviously, during those missions I have no one to play face to face ASL with.

Over this period, as and when internet connectivity allows, I have continued playtesting on VASL with Chris 2-3 hours once a week. This is the only real time I have off work so I cherish it tremendously.

When I get back home to normal life, I am always very keen to play ASL and I try my best to get both face to face games and tournaments in.

After playing ASL for 9 straight days at ASLOK.....for one or two days I feel that it was really enough......but about 3 days later I start thinking about going to Albany.

There is only one two-player game I like more, but I can manage to play both while I am at home. Not at the same time, though.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Over the last seven years I have played roughly 275 games with 64 being the maximum, 12 the minimum, and 40 the average number per year.

I'd say that the time allotted to my various hobbies shifts. There are periods where I prefer one hobby above the other which eventually changes vice versa. So there are no real 'breaks' taken in playing ASL only shifts in frequency and intensity.

Then there are some tendencies dictated by other factors: Some periods of the year are more busy with real life stuff than others and leave less time to follow hobbies. Usually less ASL during the summer and in the time before Christmas.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
When it effects my mood I take a break. I'm the same with my other hobbies (playing drums and following my footie team).

Absolutely ZERO point investing time, energy, and money into a hobby if it is not paying back.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I took 2017 'off' from ASL (I still played 11 games, all of them teaching newer players), mainly to learn and play some other war games that I was interested in. I'm glad I did, I came back with a greater appreciation for ASL and added some other games to my weekly repertoire.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only when ordered to cease and desist by the missus!
"Brought to you by Pussy Whip the topping cats really crave!"

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To answer the original question; no, not really.

ASL is one of my breaks from working 50 + hours a week.

My kids are older, so it’s not a matter of having to watch them, it’s a matter of spending time with them before they are out of the house and on with their own lives.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've never really taken a break but sometimes I didn't play for a few months. I play for fun, not kidneys so if I don't feel like playing, I don't. I have good friends tgat it's easier to talk to over a board/vasl Skype. If we play a few turns, great if not it's all good.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I cannot take a real break, even If would.
I have VASLeague running from 2007 that need attention . And from 2006 to 2015 I was also involved in our ASL italian annual event, itASLia.

So I have no real choice but organize and play...
I have managed about 400 players coming from all the world and processed more than 2,200 games during these VASLeague years.
Personally I have about 500 certified games according ROAR from 2003 to today, no statistic is available from 1993 to 2002, sorry, but it's safe to say my longest break is a few weeks/year usually for real life ambushes.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More or less my time varies to how much ASL I do at any one time, but the only three breaks from it all were due to exigencies beyond my control.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When I can't hold it no more. And sometimes when my opponent takes his break.

JR

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nobody has mentioned taking a break from ASL in order to play other games. I have seen it said on various forums that ASL has a tendency to become the one and only game for some people but I find that incredible given the huge number of other excellent game designs out there. Do you guys only play ASL? Maybe that has to be the case if you want to reach and maintain a certain competitive standard but it seems a high price to pay.