how often do you take a break from ASL?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al,

I think we played 2 Downtown scenarios against each other during the playtest, using your CB playset. Again, a very long time ago!

Alan
Ahh I do remember Alan. Good times indeed. And I see you’re in CA. Only a 1 hour time difference. It’d be fun to hook up for some online VASL if I can ever find the time. I’d like to keep in touch.

Allan

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is an excellent game- lmk if you are serious about
PBEMing a Downtown game, I got a spot on my dance card.

:)
Got it Jon, thanks! I’ll keep in touch. Pulled my DT game out of the storage box yesterday. Also opened my VASSAL version again. Let me see if I can find some time to relearn this classic. If you and Jack got a game going, could I be cc’d on your logs?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of these days Jon I’m gonna surprise you guys at your club meeting. I really want to get down there and meet you guys. Al

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it Jon, thanks! I’ll keep in touch. Pulled my DT game out of the storage box yesterday. Also opened my VASSAL version again. Let me see if I can find some time to relearn this classic. If you and Jack got a game going, could I be cc’d on your logs?
done.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just purchased GMT's Fields of Fire WW II card game. If FoF is involving as it seems to be, it will be an unintentional break from ASL.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nobody has mentioned taking a break from ASL in order to play other games. I have seen it said on various forums that ASL has a tendency to become the one and only game for some people but I find that incredible given the huge number of other excellent game designs out there. Do you guys only play ASL? Maybe that has to be the case if you want to reach and maintain a certain competitive standard but it seems a high price to pay.
I am married to ASL, but have been known to have a few honies on the side every now and then. :D:p;)

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahh I do remember Alan. Good times indeed. And I see you’re in CA. Only a 1 hour time difference. It’d be fun to hook up for some online VASL if I can ever find the time. I’d like to keep in touch.

Allan
Allan,

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info. I'm relatively new to ASL (2 years or so), but would enjoy some VASL play if you can find the time (and me as well).

Alan

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Incidentally, I played a ton of A3R back in the day. So much that I lost complete interest at some point. The Axis strategy of going after Spain after taking France in Summer of 1940 allowed a 1-1 attack on Gibraltar on Winter 1940. Then, shift the Italians to the Atlantic Ports, threatening invasion, clear out the med, boost the East Front Garrison to deter Russia, and attack the Soviets from Turkey and Poland in 1942. Form a line, and fortify the beaches in 1943, Festung Europa becomes impossible to take out. Wait till the end and win the game.

All depending on that 1-1 on Gibraltar!

AWAW solved many of these issues by making the attack on Gibraltar in 1940 nigh impossible to achieve due to weather constraints, and by making the 1941 attack on Russia critical to forestall a huge Russia in 1942 onwards.

But as a friend snarkily commented about AWAW, "It is all about making a very complex game that starts historically and also ends (+/-1 turn) historically."

Too much of a time suck for this experience.
Yeah, we had the Germans win 8 times in a row that way: after Spain, SR the Italian fleets to France and ...

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently in the midst of a sort of involuntary break from ASL. We’re preparing to move, so, all my ASL stuff
is packed. Going through a bit of ASL withdrawal.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently in the midst of a sort of involuntary break from ASL. We’re preparing to move, so, all my ASL stuff
is packed. Going through a bit of ASL withdrawal.
you are not allowed to relocate without permission. .... The Mental Health facility does not look kindly upon you relocating yourself at a whim, Chris.... :D :D

Sarjent Mike

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Just got back from from my first gaming session in eleven (11!) years playing a long time ASL'er recommended to me by you guys here on the forum. Only 20 minutes away from my home, too!

At my current (rather elderly) age I had considered selling all my stuff, but no more. I'm back in and am now contemplating a bucket list item - attending ASLOK this October.

Thank you, thank you GameSquad guys. There's an occasional disagreement or two here on the forum, but I personally have never met an ASL gamer who was not gracious, informative, helpful, and a genuinely excellent individual.

Such was the case today and I had a wonderful time. I'm back!

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nobody has mentioned taking a break from ASL in order to play other games. I have seen it said on various forums that ASL has a tendency to become the one and only game for some people but I find that incredible given the huge number of other excellent game designs out there. Do you guys only play ASL? Maybe that has to be the case if you want to reach and maintain a certain competitive standard but it seems a high price to pay.
There are other games? Oh you must mean ASL Starter Kits

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Just got back from from my first gaming session in eleven (11!) years playing a long time ASL'er recommended to me by you guys here on the forum. Only 20 minutes away from my home, too!

At my current (rather elderly) age I had considered selling all my stuff, but no more. I'm back in and am now contemplating a bucket list item - attending ASLOK this October.

Thank you, thank you GameSquad guys. There's an occasional disagreement or two here on the forum, but I personally have never met an ASL gamer who was not gracious, informative, helpful, and a genuinely excellent individual.

Such was the case today and I had a wonderful time. I'm back!

If you can swing it, attend ASLOK. It is an amazing event. Even more so than the gaming its is the socializing with a bunch of great people. As my number of ASLOKs increases (i am only 2 hours away) I find I like the social aspect of it as much as the gaming. Going out to dinner, having a drink, etc. It is a cathartic experience.

Peace

Roger