• Never

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It has been years since I played a true DTO scenario. I have played the odd scenario that uses some of the rules from chapter F, but it's been decades since I played Khasim, or Blazin' Chariots, for example.

This may have something to do with the fact that West of Alamein has long been out of print. Or maybe it is because I have not seen new(er) DTO scenarios that would make me want to dust off chapter F.

I get the impression these days that few people play DTO. However, I have heard of, and witnessed a number of players playing in the sand this past year. I am not suggesting that there is a DTO revival in the works. But I am curious to know how many of you are playing DTO scenarios.

For those who currently avoid DTO, would the re-release of Hollow Legions, or a bevy of new DTO scenarios, entice you back to North Africa. Or is DTO "done and dusted" for you?

TIA,

Chris

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
I voted "never" but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to give DTO a shot. I've just never absorbed the rules myself (I do own WoA) or played anyone interested in walking me through them. North Africa is one of the campaigns I'm most interested in, so playing some ASL in the desert would certainly be of interest. I'd welcome a DTO revival.

It has been years since I played a true DTO scenario. I have played the odd scenario that uses some of the rules from chapter F, but it's been decades since I played Khasim, or Blazin' Chariots, for example.

This may have something to do with the fact that West of Alamein has long been out of print. Or maybe it is because I have not seen new(er) DTO scenarios that would make me want to dust off chapter F.

I get the impression these days that few people play DTO. However, I have heard of, and witnessed a number of players playing in the sand this past year. I am not suggesting that there is a DTO revival in the works. But I am curious to know how many of you are playing DTO scenarios.

For those who currently avoid DTO, would the re-release of Hollow Legions, or a bevy of new DTO scenarios, entice you back to North Africa. Or is DTO "done and dusted" for you?

TIA,

Chris

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, been years. I think anyone I've asked about DTO generally says no, but partly because many don't have the rules and such since WoA is out of print.

One thing I think always hurt DTO is the frequent use of overlays. Same as the way people shy away from overlay heavy scenarios in ETO.

I think someone asked me about DTO and I offered to play some so they could learn. I didn't think the rules were too complicated. I'm looking forward (someday) to that Hollow Legions reprint so I can play some more DTO. It's not my favorite, but it's a nice change, pretty different from ETO and PTO.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last time I played was the playtest of the Alam Halfa 'Line in the Sand' trilogy of Journal 5.

Played a bit of it back then though. Each of them at least twice in the prior year.

Saw a couple guys playing 'Blazing Chariots at Winter Offensive.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing Tac23 "Midnight Bath in Tobruk" on VASL right now. Night DTO featuring Infantry and Guns only.

A steadily declining NVR has helped tremendously!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very cool looking scenario Portal. Be interested in hearing how it turns out.
Playing Tac23 "Midnight Bath in Tobruk" on VASL right now. Night DTO featuring Infantry and Guns only.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I voted 'every several years'. DTO is one of my favorite themes to read about, but I never really felt the reenactment of it translated into ASL 'fun' (YMMV). I actually enjoyed the large escarpment overlay and scenarios that focus on large ridges, escarpments, and rough/craggy terrain. Contrary to my tastes, too many DTO scenarios concentrated on 'swirling sand' open-field armor battles. On reflection, I guess I like DTO scenarios that are basically ETO-esque OOBs/tactics set in rough North African terrain. I'll pass though on the pool table-flat, Heat Haze, Sun Blindness, Dust Cloud scenarios.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
I would play a lot more DTO if the available selection of scenarios was of a higher quality...khamsin is now on my give it it a miss list just because it is a lot of work to play and I've played it so many more times than the rest. Secondly DTO is a lot more time consuming to play and in that respect VASL is not a preferred option, as it can really crawl with the number of vehicles and dust counters to move

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Fascinating historical situation. A perfect candidate for VASL with all of those overlays. Also far from a typical DTO scenario with well-armed, and Elite Italian Marines squaring off against British Marines (who are not Commandos by SSR). Have never played this one. But night makes it even more intriguing. The barges seem pretty basic too.

Please post a short AAR when done.

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Crap. Misread "DTO" as "DYO" and voted "Never". Vote should be "Once every few years."

I like it, but I can never interest anybody in a DTO scenario.

B-

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play DTO once every 2 years, at ASLOK. I can't seem to talk my deadbeat local gaming crowd to play any DTO. I'm thinking of using my position of TD and Bitter Ender to have a DTO round, thus forcing all to eat my dust

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About twice a year.

A DTO revival, with new scenarios, would be nice.

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My answer was once every 3-6 months. Part of the trouble isn't the DTO, it's the flood of other stuff coming out every year that draws our attention away from it! :D

My ftf partner and I had hoped to go on a DTO-streak, but myriad things stopped that from happening. We'll get to it eventually, though, as I'm looking forward to playing Dan's Ruweisat Ridge!

-N

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My answer was once every 3-6 months. Part of the trouble isn't the DTO, it's the flood of other stuff coming out every year that draws our attention away from it! :D
Good point.

I voted 3-6 months. I am however trying to play more. I think I've played five or six in the last 16 months. I have a game of Ci Arrendiamo going right now.

I think Deirs and Hillocks don't change the landscape enough. Pancake terrain is no fun unless it's all Armor. Hillock Summits, Sand dunes, Wadi's, actual Hills and Ridges, Dust and a mild breeze (for drifting wreck smoke) all make for a fun and interesting game.

My FTF buddy mentioned to me that Tunisia isn't necessarily a flat expanse. Small towns and villages, hills, and vegetation could make that area of North Africa very playable. Don't know, never been there.... Anyway, I'm always looking to play desert, so if any of you get the itch, PM me and we'll see if we can get a game live VASL.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My FTF buddy mentioned to me that Tunisia isn't necessarily a flat expanse. Small towns and villages, hills, and vegetation could make that area of North Africa very playable. Don't know, never been there.... Anyway, I'm always looking to play desert, so if any of you get the itch, PM me and we'll see if we can get a game live VASL.
Many (most?) scenarios set in Tunisia do not use DTO rules, except the stuff found at the end (cactus hedge, olive grove, vinyard). DTO rules for the most part apply more to Egypt and Libya.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Every few years in my case.
DTO is a much more limited TO and there art not tons of new scenarios coming out.