How Often Do You Intensive Fire?

nathan brown

Infrequent Flyer
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
not a pretty sight to watch a 548/lmg in a SPW 251/1 with a 9-2 ldr conduct an OVR on a CE first fired M4A3 Sherman. That really gets kind of ugly.
NRBH - but reading this I wondered how can a HT enter the hex of an AFV it cannot kill? - or does OVR/some other EXC remove that requirement

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I tend to IF and expect my opponent to do it almost every shot there is if the to hit will be greater than 5.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to tell from posted fragments what meaning was intended.

JR
That would have been a good thing to have in mind before posting this:

Denied: E2.6, last sentence.

JR
since clarification could have been offered in a clearer and less assuming fashion.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
NRBH - but reading this I wondered how can a HT enter the hex of an AFV it cannot kill? - or does OVR/some other EXC remove that requirement
A HT (Heavy Tank in ASL lingo) normally has no issues killing things. A ht (Halftrack) might have. ;)

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
My question is: How often do you resort to using IF?
I would find it just as interesting to know how often other players resort to using Sustained Fire with their MGs. For me, the only time it is really situationally dependent is when it has a B11. If it is an inherent B12, I do it so often that I don't even think about it. Rightly or wrongly, that's me.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With a normal B12 MG, I Sustained Fire with impunity.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would find it just as interesting to know how often other players resort to using Sustained Fire with their MGs. For me, the only time it is really situationally dependent is when it has a B11. If it is an inherent B12, I do it so often that I don't even think about it. Rightly or wrongly, that's me.
true, but I prefer to try to give an opponent as few possibilities as possible to do so if I can. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sustain fire means he's already marked first fired- so its not too hard to avoid, in most cases, moving too close so as to allow sustaining the MG.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Somebody said once “if you lost and you had functional SWs left, you didn’t use them enough.” I’ve taken that to heart.

Sure, sometimes you’ll roll boxcars on a sustained FPF shot and mangle the SW as well as its manning infantry, but even then, your opponent can’t shoot it back at you!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Good question!

I do not do it often. This is probably because MG's are used pretty much every turn, so the chances for breakage due to sustained fire are very real.

And another factor why Sustained Fire *might* be used less could be that the rules when it applies are a bit confusing (That same old story: Fire Inherent FP first, or MG first , when do you have to use the MG for Final Fire or FPF, what about the Firelanes?). So in fact, maybe Sustained Fire should be applied more often but people do not realize it. And therefore it merely 'appears' that it is not used as often as it would actually be required.

von Marwitz