How Often Do You Intensive Fire?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Secret Option 5: The Nixon (and I don't mean Mark) Strategy. Show the other guy you're just a crazy-ass mofo who simply does not care. Do this early in the scenario and he'll remember, even if you malf your gun.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In a current playing of Super Bazooka, I'm keeping my T-34s BU and not risking IF for fear of a cheap Stun followed by a Bazooka kill and need the MA operational to keep those Bazooka teams at distance and under fire.
Usually you are very well advised to keep your T-34s BU (at least every T-34 except the T-34/85).
Note that they have Restricted Slow Traverse (D1.321), i.e. that they can't fire their MA or CMG while CE.

I'll never forget when I learned that, gleely driving a CE T-34 up to a Pz IV that had exhausted its fire, parking ADJACENT in his side-facing and being quite sure of my chances to kill him in the AFPh. It turned out, I can't fire while CE. Got me killed to drive that lesson home in the upcoming PFPh of the Germans...

Edit:
I see that I am late to the party with my advice...

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Secret Option 5: The Nixon (and I don't mean Mark) Strategy. Show the other guy you're just a crazy-ass mofo who simply does not care. Do this early in the scenario and he'll remember, even if you malf your gun.
My opponents learn quickly I have no fear if I was given, or capture, a DC. Move adjacent, and a large package will come flying out the window at you, period.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
My opponents learn quickly I have no fear if I was given, or capture, a DC. Move adjacent, and a large package will come flying out the window at you, period.
Totally agree.
I hate the feeling you get when you finish a scenario with an unexploded bomb.
My FTs always run out of fuel, but I only ever malf'd one DC.
The results are often spectacular, good or bad.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I should IF more than I do, but I do use it a lot more than ESB.
When we were first learning ASL, my gaming buddies and I would ESB all the time, and yes we broke down all the time, trying to get that memorable great extra burst of speed (movement points).
We never did have much success. Broke a lot of Soviet tanks, though.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I should IF more than I do, but I do use it a lot more than ESB.
When we were first learning ASL, my gaming buddies and I would ESB all the time, and yes we broke down all the time, trying to get that memorable great extra burst of speed (movement points).
We never did have much success. Broke a lot of Soviet tanks, though.
Yeah, 100% more firepower (at a risk) is a better deal than 10% more movement (at a risk).

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A counterexample is Operation Veritable's Riley's Road Campaign Date 1. The Germans have 4 88LL AT guns but have to set them up pretty far forward. Those guns will most likely be overrun by the end of the campaign date not matter what the Germans do, and there are lots of Canadian AFVs rolling onto the map. Using IF is a win-win: You kill more AFVs, then your guns breaks, so the Canadians can't conquer them and use them against you.
Excellent point! I did this very thing the past couple of weeks in this CG. A worthwhile gambit overall, but I did disable one of the 88's doing this.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find I use IF more often now than I did back in the day. A former regular opponent once told me "it is far better to lose a gun or MA to IF early in the game after having achieved some benefits from its use, than to have that gun still ready for action late in the game yet losing because you did not utilize all of your assets to their fullest". Unless I only have one gun and my opponent has several AFV's then IF is definitely on the table. Why wait til that desperate shot in the final turn praying you get a positive effect, rather than using it to the fullest right from the start and most likely getting some actual use from it? Just my view......doesn't always work out, but most times it does for me at least.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I find that my opponents Intensive Fire rather often, more than I tend to. Last time I did, I malfunctioned my gun (and later recognized that the shot was not that important - I should probably have refrained from it).

So, I guess my answer is - I still need a better feeling for when it's worth it, and when to not take the risk.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
My rules of thumb on IF:
-- If I shoot next, I won't IF
-- If I have tanks to waste, I am more likely to IF
-- I will not IF if my chances to break the gun are greater than getting the hit
-- I will consider IF if I am desperate and need back into the game
-- I will consider IF if I think the shot is a back breaker
-- I am much more likely to IF if I feel my tank is a goner if my opponent shoots next
-- As a corollary to the last point, I might not IF if I would rather my tank be the target my opponent shoots

There a lot going on in my head. Some of it is ASL too. -- jim