• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We did a similar poll a long time ago. Curious to see what the results are now.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 gigs, but built my rig 2 years ago and have not updated the ram.Time for a new build!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Still using 4GB at the moment, but getting ready to install 8GB and run some tests with Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently running 4gbs with Vista x64. I am interested in the results of your test Don!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does that p.o.s. OS actually run ok with that much RAM? (You guys know that MS has abandoned it and is going with Windows 7 as the next big thing?)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes, my experience with Vista 64 Ultimate has been excellent. In fact, it is superior to XP in every way.

I did not start off as a fan of Vista. Quite the opposite! I had a number of very negative issues with Vista 32bit Home Edition, and finally decided to return to XP for a while longer.

The gamers on the EVGA forums talked me into giving Vista 64bit Ultimate a shot, as everyone there said it was the best O/S yet for gaming. I didn't really buy that, but as I was installing a new motherboard and CPU anyway, I decided to try it just for giggles.

It's been rock solid. More secure than XP or Vista 32, and the ability to actually use all 4GB of RAM has made for a much smoother gaming experience in cutting edge games. I have come full circle and now concur with the gamers on the EVGA forums that Microsoft's mistake was releasing any 32bit version of Vista. Vista Ultimate 64bit should have been the end of 32bit computing, however, that honor will have to wait for Windows 7.

Historically, Microsoft releases a new version of Windows every 2-3 years. Vista broke that trend, but MS has already announced they intend to return to the 2-year release schedule.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sweet - thanks for that timely reply Don. I'm hesitant as well (bad experiences with 32 bit Vista as well) but I'll have to reconsider. What did you shell out for a copy of that Don? I'm getting a new rig in the next couple months, so I'll look into this...

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Let me qualify my earlier remarks with two additional comments.

First, Windows Vista Ultimate is not cheap. Although it's a good o/s and comes with both a 32bit and 64bit disk, it is still around $200. A lot of new PCs are now coming with the 64bit version pre-loaded (on my last trip to Best Buy it looked as if they are no longer selling any computers with 32bit versions of Windows), so it may make more sense to get it with your next computer depending on your budget.

Second, 32bit drivers will not work at all on a 64bit o/s. As 64bit Vista has picked up steam, most companies have released 64bit drivers for their hardware. Still, if you're using an older PC or a PC with some older components or peripherals that require drivers, it could be an issue depending on whether a driver is available or not. I didn't have any problems getting 64bit drivers but YMMV.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, now I'm all mixed up. There's 32 bit Vista Home Edition, I see there's a 64 bit Vista Home Edition, now there's a Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition, and to top it off Windows 7 is coming in the future. I understand that 64 bit is better, but why is the Ultimate edition better than the Home edition?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
OK, now I'm all mixed up. There's 32 bit Vista Home Edition, I see there's a 64 bit Vista Home Edition, now there's a Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition, and to top it off Windows 7 is coming in the future. I understand that 64 bit is better, but why is the Ultimate edition better than the Home edition?
I'm not sure why people keep getting worked up about Windows 7. Is it coming out? Yes. And Windows 8 will be coming two years after that. And Windows 9 two years after that. I wouldn't worry about it.

The different versions can be confusing. Here is a chart that shows the differences: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsVista/vista-which-version.html

64bit Vista is superior to 32bit Vista. Beyond that, I'm not sure if the Ultimate version contains anything you might want or need.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
One additional note. If you get a new copy at retail, look for the box that is marked as already containing service pack 1. This version will save you a major update and possibly some headaches.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On the link you provided, Ultimate is listed at $399 and I am assuming that is in US dollars... You got yours for ~ $200 US? (/crosses fingers)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On the link you provided, Ultimate is listed at $399 and I am assuming that is in US dollars... You got yours for ~ $200 US? (/crosses fingers)
If you have a previous version of Windows, you don't need to buy the full version of Vista. The upgrade will do. That said, some sites are reporting very small performance advantages of starting from scratch with a full version of Vista with service pack 1 pre-installed.

That's what I have. Best Buy sells Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade for about $200 and the full version for about $300. As I said, it may be a better option for some users to get it with a new computer rather than shell out that much cash for the software.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok Don, thanks. I'll have to see how the price comapres. I do better when I build my systems myself (obviously) but I'll have to take into account the pre-loaded option and see how this works out.

Appreciate the info!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Bear in mind I'm not really advocating switching operating systems. If you're currently using XP and that is working well for you, cool. But if you are upgrading or considering purchasing a new system in the near future, Vista 64 may be worth considering.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 gig on my laptop, which is a Toshiba A135-S2276 running Vista Home Basic...

...and .2 gig on my desktop, which is a POS-267MHz running Windows 2000 Professional.

I have more fun with the second than with the first... :crosseye:

John