How much interest is there in a VASL tournament?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We've been talking about this for a while and there is nothing firm yet. I don't know if we have enough members to start any type of tournament just yet, however, I am curious to find out how much interest there is in a VASL tournament.

This tournament would be similar to the ones Warfare HQ has run for Combat Mission, TOAW, and the Campaign Series. Probably 3-4 rounds (1 scenario each), VASL format, PBEM or online, small scenarios, possible sudden death format (don't know about that part yet), strict time limits for completing matches. All of this is, of course, subject to change. I'm just testing the waters.

How many ASL players might be interested in participating?

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am definitely in and I am sure more would be if cross-adressed to the ASLML and the ASL Forums.
I also believe that time limits is important and must be strictly adhered to by all parties. The problem here is guys that just do not communicate when they have a lot of other commitments, how do you kick them without proof that it is the other player that is not responding or lagging the game ?
My cents worth but count me in.

Jeff H

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm interested!

One question - How does "sudden death" work ?

Is it where the players make a judgement on how the scenario is standing at the end of a given time limit ?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think he means that if you lose, you're out.

What do people think of a format where each entrant plays 4 games (for example) against predetermined opponents. PbEMers could play all four simultaneously, thus reducing the problem of duration...

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
PRogman said:
I also believe that time limits is important and must be strictly adhered to by all parties. The problem here is guys that just do not communicate when they have a lot of other commitments, how do you kick them without proof that it is the other player that is not responding or lagging the game ?

Since we are a world wide club, time zones would would play a part, do both players have to be up and running on VASL ... or am I out to lunch on this. I'm not up on VASL and how it works yet .. but by this wkend I'm hoping.. :)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
CPRad said:
Since we are a world wide club, time zones would would play a part, do both players have to be up and running on VASL?
VASSAL/VASL supports two methods of play.

Firstly, server play, where both players log in to the VASSAL server and set up their game. This is effectively real-time play, and many use voice software to speed things up/make it more like regular ftf. Sometimes these games are public, allowing anyone with VASSAL to watch from afar.

Secondly, for those of us with dodgy slow dialup connections, there's pbem, where players take it in turns to create logfiles recording the action, and email them to their opponent. The length of pbem games can vary from a few weeks to six months or more, depending on how large and complex the scenario is, and how often the players can fire off their logfiles. This is clearly a problem when you're dealing with a competition and you want to keep things timely.

So the answer to your question is yes, kind of. Depends how you want to play...

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chris Milne said:
VASSAL/VASL supports two methods of play.

Firstly, server play, where both players log in to the VASSAL server and set up their game. This is effectively real-time play, and many use voice software to speed things up/make it more like regular ftf. Sometimes these games are public, allowing anyone with VASSAL to watch from afar.
Thanks Chris, Yes... I hooked onto the server first time tonight and observed quietly, several people setting up and playing, looked real interesting.

I'm certainly up for a tourney in VASL... might as well cut my teeth here. I think Don should just set it up tell us how when and where and we will come : -)

Priest

Reaction score
Chris Milne said:
I think he means that if you lose, you're out.

What do people think of a format where each entrant plays 4 games (for example) against predetermined opponents. PbEMers could play all four simultaneously, thus reducing the problem of duration...
That's a good idea, since it seems that PBEM is the perfered mode on this ladder.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How does this strike you? One month per round, a total of three rounds. Players may complete each round (which consists of one small scenario) in any manner the players can agree on. VASL live, PBEM, or FtF.

Does one month sound like a reasonable amount of time to keep the tournament moving along?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sounds short for pbem, unless all three rounds can be played simultaneously. I think that's what you're getting at, but I'm not sure.

If so, sounds good to me. When were you thinking of starting (not that my schedule looks good for the foreseeable future :( )

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Chris Milne said:
Sounds short for pbem, unless all three rounds can be played simultaneously. I think that's what you're getting at, but I'm not sure.

If so, sounds good to me. When were you thinking of starting (not that my schedule looks good for the foreseeable future :( )
No, one round at a time. The intent is to have a tournament that plays out within 90 days or so, or at least reaches the finals by that time. If players can manage to do a PBEM in one month that's fine. If not they might have to do a few turns live.

The intent here is to have a tournament that plays significanlty faster than the Cyber ASL tourny. That's a good event, but we want to do something a little different.

At this point nothing is final. I'm just getting input and feedback.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think one month is short for a game if PBEM should be allowed.
Make it two months and it sounds feasible.

Peter Rogneholt

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Two months?Crikey,I've been playing a Pbem for 2 months and we're only up to Turn 2 and its an infantry only!

BobEury

Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited States
Chris Milne said:
I like that idea.

Priest

Reaction score
AnewNewbie said:
Two months?Crikey,I've been playing a Pbem for 2 months and we're only up to Turn 2 and its an infantry only!
Well hopefully when the tourney begins you'll have a lot more experience and can pick up the pace a little.