How many scenarios exist ?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
more or less, official AH/MMP and coming from other sources... any updated number? someone counted them?
thanks

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
more or less, official AH/MMP and coming from other sources... any updated number? someone counted them?
thanks
Too many, LOL! I remember a time when me and Tom had played ALL the official scenarios in print back in the early 90s, that is impossible now, and does not include all the 3rd party stuff out there. The good thing is we have endless choices and most major battels have at least had a scenario or 2 published about some aspect of it. Enjoy what we have, no matter what, we have plenty to pick from. More to come from Dispatches...

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
years ago someone said 8,000 and more ;
was that a plausible number? and today?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It depends. If a scenario is adjusted for balance at what point does it count as a new scenario?

Two extra concealment counters, or an extra squad? Dunno.

The very first ASL scenario I played was Lapitchi Fit from Onslaught to Orsha.
In the reprint one of the boards has been changed....that's enough to qualify as a new one for me.

Plus do we really count Critical Hit American Civil War or similar? Probably unplaytested.

As Vic says, too many to ever play.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Of course they are too many, but when the same scenario is updated twice or three times remains the same scenario. Those updated aren't so many after all. About CH or other publishers I do not make differences, they "count" like the others and I'm asking for a number.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my last iteration of the CoW 2021 I have about 5800+ original scenarios (or with no re-makes) but I have about 8500+ total scenarios entered.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A. Too many
B. Not Enough

Make your choice

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
North of 8K. I have all the stuff I ever bought scanned and sorted and I have 7,700+. So given I don't own everything out there, north of 8 K is an easy bet.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Your organization skills are way better than many of us Carl! Looking forward to playing you again when you have the time...

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
North of 8K. I have all the stuff I ever bought scanned and sorted and I have 7,700+. So given I don't own everything out there, north of 8 K is an easy bet.
wow, > 8,000 means, should I ever design something, the ASL world probably do not need another little bunch of scenarios like the others :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In my last iteration of the CoW 2021 I have about 5800+ original scenarios (or with no re-makes) but I have about 8500+ total scenarios entered.
So that means that about 3000 are reprints! Big number.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many scenarios, indeed. Impossible to know, in part because different people have different opinions on what constitutes a scenario.

Some people count some unplaytested thing released only on the web as a scenario. Others don't.

Is a critical hit scenario that has been renamed, had the OB slightly tweaked, and been released unreplaytested to play on a CH board that resembles but is not exactly the board it was originally designed for a separate scenario of its own?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
wow, > 8,000 means, should I ever design something, the ASL world probably do not need another little bunch of scenarios like the others :)
Ah, but yours are not like the others, you mad scientist you ;-).

Reactions: ecz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A would be designer was talking about putting years into researching the scenario he wanted to design. While that is perfectly acceptable I cautioned that in all likelihood his scenario would probably not receive a lot of playing due to the vast amount of scenarios available.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, if it were 8000 scenarios, assuming you would play a scenario EVERY DAY this would last you almost 22 years.

And this does not take into account the quite significant - genuinely new - number of scenarios currently released every year.

We all know that we have passed the point where it was possible for a player to play "anything out there".

As such, the total number of published scenarios regardless of definition is moot.

Maybe to shift the approach somewhat:

How many genuinely new scenarios do you (this is going out to the hivemind...) think are published every year these days?

von Marwitz