how many play Civil War stuff...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play the HPS titles that I own here and in the ACWGC. I find the American Civil War a fascinating part of our history and the games are fun because as in the historical battles, they often turn on a single mistake, sometimes back and forth. The other compelling reason I like playing PBEM is the friends I've made along the way amongst my opponents and knowing that there will be more in the future.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I play the HPS Civil War games both here and at the ACWGC as well. I enjoy the challenge of commanding a force on a given field and outwiting my opponent (when possible :cheeky: ). I like the historical aspect, using forces on the actual fields, but I also enjoy exploring what if situations and the like. I like to solve problems, and the Tiller games provide me with dozens of opportunities to do so with each match. I've been playing his games since 1997 and have had some really great times.

I have also made some really good friends in this community. People tend to be a bit more serious, and reliable, than is found in the FPS or RTS groups. Some of the guys I have never met in person before, but quite a few others I have and we have toured battlefields together, supported each other during personal trials, and basically been there for each other while we enjoy a common bond in this hobby.

And finally because the PBEM format fits into my life style so well. Sometimes I can allocate hours to gaming and get quite a few turns done. Other times I can only squeeze in 15 minutes here and there. These games lend themself well to that.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I play the Sid Meirs Civil War stuff and will hopefully be getting the HPS Gettysburg soon. I play it because unlike other wars I can actually go to places were battles were fought and so I like to fight on these fields in games and then go see the actually battle fields. Also becasue I like pitting my stratagy against others in warfare.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ditto to all the reasons given! I played SPI's "Terrible Swift Sword" (a big boardgame version of Gettysburg, like TalonSoft's Gettysburg with paper) in the late 70's, early 80's. That is still some of my most memorable gaming.

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play the Talonsoft Battleground ACW games as well as rhamy ( who IS a very dangerous player. :laugh: ) I usually play PBEM for the same reasons as rhamy as they fit my schedule better, and I enjoy the give and take between my opponents. I have the two Sid Meirs games, but prefere the BGs.

I also have downloaded the ACW scenerios for TAOW and those are intriguing. These are set in the WWII era and reflect some of the lines set down in Harry Turtledove's alternate history series.

If you want to get a good handle on the time line I suggest that you read them in order begining with HOW FEW REMAIN then picking up the GREAT WAR (1913-18 ) AMERICAN EMPIRE ( 1919-1939 ) and SETTLING ACCOUNTS (1939-1945 ). The last one is in progress with only one book released. Each of these flow into the other in a great tapestry of what could have happened.

Abatis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have all of the TS battleground series ACW games, and Sid Mier 's Antietam and Gettysburg . I'm not actively playing them currently- I'm on a WWII kick at the moment, but have spent a lot of time on them in the past, and will again.( I have all the TS Napoleanic games too- though more to collect- they don't have the same attraction for me) I used to have AValon Hills Gettysburg (lost it to a teething puppy!) and I do have Avalon's "Here come the Rebels". All, pc and board alike are great games.

I don't know why I like them- have just always been drawn to the period, same as the 1940's. I usually look like a Civil War General in my grooming- big beards or goatees and crazy moustaches and sideburns- and its purposeful to emulate that look. My wife thinks I'm pleasantly eccentric. LOL. I Got to live between Pea Ridge and Prarie Grove in Arkansas(I was in Fayettville) for most of the last 6 years. It was definitely satisfying/haunting to walk those fields; the Praire Grove sub battle on the BG Shilo game took on a lot more meaning actually getting to go there. Shilo battlefield park in Tennessee is intense too, more so than the 2 smaller ones I just mentioned. I have never gotten to see the big eastern theatre battle parks- wierd sd that sounds... I'll have to remedy that. There are bunches of HPS titles on my wish list- I'll have to do something about that sometime too. :)

M.E.Eldridge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Bark said:
Because I can. That and I don't see why many people have such a huge interest in the World Wars,and European conflits, especially if they live in America, as American troops didn't have any huge effect on them.The Russians were the ones who were wining WWII, we only helped speed the defeat of Nazi Germany,but I believe the Russians would have eventually beat Hittler's forces.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
M.E.Eldridge said:
Because I can. That and I don't see why many people have such a huge interest in the World Wars,and European conflits, especially if they live in America, as American troops didn't have any huge effect on them.The Russians were the ones who were wining WWII, we only helped speed the defeat of Nazi Germany,but I believe the Russians would have eventually beat Hittler's forces.
I have to strongly disagree with you about American involvement in the two World Wars, especially the Second World War.

But that is a battle which has been extensively fought. I think it is impossible to say with authority what could or could not have happened if you take out a major combatant like the United States. The vast amount of motor and rail equipment the United States supplied the Soviet Union is staggering. I think the Russians could have fought Germany to a stalemate without US support, but would have been hard pressed to conduct their huge offensives from the Volga to Berlin without them. With American aid, the Soviets were able to focus their own production on their tanks and other weapons and not have to worry about things like Jeeps and trucks.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play the HPS Gettysburg game. The Civil War is my favorite historical period, not sure exactly why. Maybe because it affected a part of my family. I think it is interesting that it was the first conflict to be extensively photographed. I like the colorfull men who led the armies and fought the battles, the fact that the war forever changed America and that it's outcome has had huge consequences for the rest of the world since it ended (imagine WW2 with a fractured United States). Also, how would the two governments have survived the peace which would have followed a Confederate victory?

The war produced many good questions to ponder and discuss and there are some well preserved battlefields which are easy for me to visit from time to time.

BubbaScott1980

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ive been playing John Tiller's civilwar games since the old Battleground series from the mid 90s. Also I am a novice student of history and I find this a good way to see how things played out.

Jeremy

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been a Civil War buff since I was twelve years old when I saved my quarters and sent off for a 500-piece set of plastic profiles (I won't tell you what year that was, but Yogi Berra was still playing for the Yanks). Gaming has always been one way of getting my "fix" . . . along with reading and documentaries. I haven't been playing humans for long, but I've played the games for a few years.

Bratushka

Recruit
Reaction score
I don't know why but the Civil War never interested me beyond reading about it and a bit of light study. It is fascinating history, no doubt, but the gaming offshoot of my historical interests has always been 1) WWI combat flight sims 2) WWII based FPS games 3) WWII based combat flight sims.

I can't get enough of European history and the causes/effects that led to the Great War and going into the early post WWII era.

I also enjoy games like Rome: Total War

Do you find anything comparable within your interests?