How many people here play on VASSAL?

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Just wondering how active the community is.
Well I play PB with a guy in London. We do about a turn a week. He has a young family so the you go I go aspect of PB works well for him. It's a great game and I enjoy it now more than 30 years ago for it's simple rules but intricate nuances of the game.

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably not the response you were looking for, but I play ASL using VASL/VASSAL, though not usually online. (I usually play solitaire.)

VASL makes it easier to get in some game play at work and/or is better for a quick turn or two here or there as I don't have to leave map/pieces lying around where I worry about them being disturbed :(

Save games make it easy to take said games to/from work as well. I've also got a lot of ASL I haven't punched yet, this allows me to play with the bits I still have in the box, and with maps/overlays I don't have.

- Chad

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play PB/PL now and then using VASSAL PBEM. Over a year ago i was playing it regularly then ASL took over.

sgtstinky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have several ongoing PL PBEM on VASSAL at all times, it just seems like PL and VASSAL were made for each other. Beats being a kid in the early 80s with no one to play. Now, I can play any time I want! I also play several other games via VASSAL too.

almogaver266

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
I play PzL via VASSAL PBEM about five months ago

Also, I play too ASL and MBT via VASSAL, sometimes online but mainly PBEM

Toreador

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, I'm going to play on VSQL again next year. So again a "Yepp, I'm onboard!"

Oliver

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play PB on Vassal by email. Get in a turn a night on average. I'm using my own module I made based on the graphics from the Imaginative Strategist page. http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/
I've played many wargames using Vassal email. Lot's of fun and you can take your time making your moves. If you haven't tried Vassal you should at least take a look at it. Beats the pants off Cyberboard and ADC.

I play ASL face to face on a weekly basis so there's no need to use VASL/Vassal for that. That is unless my local opponent gets too cocky. Yah reading this Ralph?

KONG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own PanzerLeader, played a lot in my younger days, over 30 years ago. I downloaded the VASSAL module, it looks great. Wouldn't mind playing on-line, however; I would have to refresh my memory with the rules.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't really done anythinfg yet on VASSAL but would consider PB/PL. Do you guys use a lot of house rule? Not really a fan of the PL OPP-Fire rules (too FLAT BOARD minded). Find the game pretty good with the orig rules modified by stacking pts as per Imaginative Stratigist and a few others.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There are rules in the back of the original Panzer Leader rulebook for running huge battles at the division level. This probably wasn't practical because of the sheer size and time required, but with VASSAL is is now quite practical.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
There are rules in the back of the original Panzer Leader rulebook for running huge battles at the division level. This probably wasn't practical because of the sheer size and time required, but with VASSAL is is now quite practical.
Hmm, nice idea. Will take it up with my VASSAL players :D