How many of the first 100 scenarios have you played and how many do you intend to play

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've played 28-30 when I counted. I was surprised I thought it'd be more. Its 28-30 because looking at the scenario titles I'm not entirely sure with a couple from way back when I started. Still I've *only* played since 2005-06 ish - I cut my teeth on ASLSK2 not paratrooper. Those who started from the beginning will do better, but since 100 is up in FKAC territory I bet not many have- as by that time there was plenty of other scenarios from the general, annuals e.t.c Shout out if you have...

For the second part of the question, do you intend to complete them out of some kind of OCD or do you think - limited playing time, lots of 14 turn unbalanced monsters in the 100, much better scenarios out there...
I think I will do them eventually but slowly over time and mixed in with the more modern scenarios.
Probably not till I retire. Which sadly is ages away yet.

And which was the best of the 100? Probably the citadel from BV of the ones I've played. Half a chance from Hollow legions the worst...(The Finnish ones from BV3 are worse but numbered over 100).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I can't recall for sure, but I believe it is 19 out of the first 100.

In particular 1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 35, 48, 77, 82, 83, 84.

One I recall as very good was ASL 10 "The Citadel".

No plans to complete them.
I don't even know how many scenarios I own, but I reckon it must be currently among 4 or 5,000. It makes more sense to play promising ones rather than to follow a 'completionist-player's path' in my case.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Damn you Benn....I'm now scurrying through the old modules looking at what I've played.....certainly all 10 of Beyond Valor to start with....

buser333

Reaction score
I have played 40 of them, 20 of them more than once. I intend to play them all, yes. Looking forward to the desert ones and some of the more complicated PTO rules.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Only 9 but I am a relatively new player at the ASL scale (like, with 15 years of playing). No plan to play more except one or two classics that I would like to play once.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Some. (25-30). No intention to play any particular more. As sources of scenarios go, core scenarios outrank pretty much only the trash U series.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played 45 out of 100

The Fugitives, Defiance on Hill 30 and Fighting Back were the top of the class for me.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have played 38 of them for a total of 57 scenarios. Those most played come from Yanks and Paratrooper.

I rarely set out to play all of a particular product just so I can tick them all off but it has happened a few times.

Who knows what the future holds?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Around half of the first 100. Last one i played was The Old Town, which was okay. No plans to play more of that first vintage (EXC: Bridge of the Seven Planets and maybe Trapped!)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
probably about 15-20 out of the hundred.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Due to my preference for DYO and solo play I originally was not going to comment. However with some pondering I think I might have done some 30, definitely in the 20-40 range, somewhat to my surprise. All solo and some I might yielded one side early due to seeing no way for that side to win. Of course most of those would have been done in the early ASL days when there were few scenarios, some 20-30 years ago. So all take that whatever way you want.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Squad Leader first 100 - probably all of SL, most of COI, COD and some of GI:AoV. Favourites were Hill 621 and Climax at Nijmegen Bridge.

ASL - you mean the first 100 from the modules, or the first 100 official ones (which would include Annual, General, Historical, and Deluxe) in order of publication? In the last couple years I've played 1, 13, 23, 28 as well as D1, A25, H, I, and W1. Didn't keep track when ASL first came out and probably played more of the Beyond Valor ones back then.

For the second part of the question, do you intend to complete them
I started a spreadsheet just to see what percentage of scenarios from each publication we might play, and for a bit I think our goal was one scenario from every module or publication. Though lately I'm starting to look at other game systems - Lock'N'Load and would love to try TCS especially.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I got curious, so I opened ye olde scenario binder and leafed through.
Not counting HASLs, everything up to the Japanese introduction and two after, so 60 at best guess.
Maybe a few more, but 60 for sure.
And played in order, also a handful of them more than once.

In future, assuming my son Tom will advance to ASL from SKs, I'll pick some highlights, then hopefully progress to Red October, so it will be new for both of us.

Or maybe give him the binder and let him pick the ones he finds interesting.
That would be better.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
36, give or take a few because of some lost recordings. I played several of them many times because of tournaments. I had no plans to re-visit them, but you have now planted that seed. :)

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Squad Leader first 100 - probably all of SL, most of COI, COD and some of GI:AoV. Favourites were Hill 621 and Climax at Nijmegen Bridge.

ASL - you mean the first 100 from the modules, or the first 100 official ones (which would include Annual, General, Historical, and Deluxe) in order of publication? In the last couple years I've played 1, 13, 23, 28 as well as D1, A25, H, I, and W1. Didn't keep track when ASL first came out and probably played more of the Beyond Valor ones back then.

I started a spreadsheet just to see what percentage of scenarios from each publication we might play, and for a bit I think our goal was one scenario from every module or publication. Though lately I'm starting to look at other game systems - Lock'N'Load and would love to try TCS especially.
First 100 from the modules, not first 100 published as I reckon loads would qualify for the latter. I think the only product I've done 100% of is ASLK2. Even BV3 I've only done 22 of 24.