How Have Tactics Have Changed In ASL

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I introduced a newbie to ASLSK 1 yesterday. He seemed to grasp it quickly and really seemed to enjoy himself. I played him in 'War of the Rats' as the Germans. He took a shellacking as his dice were stone cold. We ended the scenario mid T4.

I am hoping to get a weekly ftf player as he lives 5 minutes from my door, and we were both Marines!

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How did they like it Keith? ASL, not Guards C/A. Truth be told though, I always enjoyed that scenario. Never had a problem with its "issues".
they seemed to like it. we'll see, try Gavin Take next week. however, I don't hold out too much hope for them (high school seniors) but I consider it my duty to offer to show anyone expressing interest in ASL

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see your point, but I used it just the other day to intro the system to a couple of young fellows who had expressed an interest in ASL. boring for grognard but good quick start for 1st timer: programmed setup, small half board, obvious objectives, few SW, good troops. got'm up and going quickly and helped'm through a few turns for them to see how the system works
After Gavin Take try Triumph Atop Taraldsvikfjell. Like GT it’s got two equal attackers (French/Norwegians) against the Germans. It’s a great follow up to GT.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now modern scenarios are much more puzzle like. Its much more important to be in position x, at turn y with the right type of units z or you won't be able to meet the victory conditions even if you are 'winning' the tactical fight. This is perhaps indicative of the fact some of us have been playing for 30 years
I believe you are right. And figuring out the time-table and grokking the puzzle is one of the most difficult challenges nowadays IMHO. This is especially true for less experienced players.

It needs tremendous experience to reliably forsee when certain units must and will reach certain objectives and how many forces to assign to the task if you need to look several turns into the future.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strategy: determining whose nuts get cut off.
Tactics: doing said strategy without losing one's own!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
After Gavin Take try Triumph Atop Taraldsvikfjell. Like GT it’s got two equal attackers (French/Norwegians) against the Germans. It’s a great follow up to GT.
Plus it introduces newbies to the wide world of mispronunciation that is a key aspect of ASL!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As do I. I give new players the Americans and explain about the exit hex foxhole sleaze pre-game. I also SSR hex Y1 (the combo building/woods) to bypassable if using the new boards, because 4 vs 1 MF costs them way too much time.
That same hex messes with ‘Rockets Red Glare’ , the new board Y1 needs to be ‘grandfathered in’ as bypassable or the American TD has unfair trouble.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That same hex messes with ‘Rockets Red Glare’ , the new board Y1 needs to be ‘grandfathered in’ as bypassable or the American TD has unfair trouble.
another of my favorite old time scenarios

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
another of my favorite old time scenarios
Well, make a note so 3Y1 doesn’t mess with you. I played Arron Cleavin a few years ago and he graciously agreed it should be bypassable. It didn’t matter because his Germans smashed me into early consession.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Theoretically, there is a perfect strategy for every ASL scenario. BUT, Murphy doesn't speak theoretical. I've learned that the hard way.