How hard is it to create VASSAL Modules?

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interested in playing some of the Musket and Pike series on VASSAL. The problem lies in the fact that there are none out there. I am not sure if this is because of any copyright issues with GMT or because no one has taken the time to create one. If it is because of the latter, I was wondering how difficult to create one myself.

Anyone have any experience in this area? If so do you have any suggested reading material to spin myself up on it?

Ben

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Ben,

Creating VASSAL modules isn't terribly difficult for the most part - it's mostly a bit tedious or repititious, but there's no Java programming or anything like that to worry about.

One resource is a Webinar that Brent Easton put on (mostly), I finally got my internet working and joined in but Brent provided most of the good information. You can download the archive HERE.

As I mention in that Webinar, how I learned was to simply download a module for a game that I knew closely resembled the one that I wanted to make a module for and I opened it up in the editor and had a look around. If you do so, you'll find that you'll see a heirarchial list of elements that make up the module, something like:

Where you'll see that you have the help menu, the map window, pieces and charts basically. Those each expand and that is where you add the map and pieces and charts obviously. To the map you can add a hexgrid and numbering. To the pieces, you can add traits such as "mark moved" or rotate, etc.

I figured things out by adding new stuff to that module - not neccessarily things that really belonged in that module, but I just wanted to see what things did. I'd suggest doing the same.

The 2nd reference is the most important one and that is the help files that you'll see when you click on the little greenish "?" button (third button on the right in that screenshot). In there is instructions on how to use each component that makes up the module. It may be a bit lacking at times, but it's really all there once you start to tinker with it.

The 3rd reference is the Yahoo! mailing list at VASSALENGINE. There's a number of folks that are ready, willing and able to answer any technical questions that you might have, so you'll want to subscribe to that list.

Finally, as far as GMT Games goes, I just published a module for Ardennes '44 (as that screenshot shows) with the permission of the designer/developer. In fact, he even sent me some of the original artwork for the counters that went to the printers, so that really helped. I'd find the email address of the developer of the games you're interested in and jot off an email. I've found that for the most part, they actually are flattered that someone wants to invest the time to do a module for their game. There are exceptions of course, but generally I've had success each time that I jotted off a polite email.

Oh, one other part is the artwork - you'll need a scanner and will need to scan the map and counters of course. Many people have good scanners and they just crop and put those scans into their modules. My scanner sucks and frankly, I love doing the artwork, so I just redraw it using the scan to trace over. Either way, depends on your proficiency with something like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or The Gimp.

Give it a whirl, the more people making VASSAL modules the better! You'll only get better at it the more you make, so open up the editor and start tinkering!

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Musket & Pike

Hi Ben,

You should check the Musket & Pike Consimworld thread. I recall reading two or three posts with Ben Hull, the M&P series designer, saying there were some problems implementing the stacking and facing of the large infantry counters with the artillery pieces (or something like that).

With Gary around, maybe that enigma could be solved ;)

Anyway, be warned: It's like four or five months I don't go over there, so things could have changed. It would be fantastic to have a VASSAL mod to play those games, which are fast and fun, with a set of rules so clearly written it would make a lot of consolidated designers to blush.

I'm sure you'll find that Ben Hull is a wonderful and very friendly person, and I'm sure, too, that he will cheer and support your project.

Good luck, and keep us posted :hurray:

miguel.

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I built a module for ADG's World in Flames and I have almost zero programming experience. I did get permission from ADG (a simple e-mail was all it took) and then it was a lot of tedious trial and error. I had scanned images in pdf format of the maps and counters and then converted them into jpeg's and started cropping and cutting. It came out pretty well and was actually fun for the most part. Quite a few people playing it these days so I guess I did something right.

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Swing said:
I recall reading two or three posts with Ben Hull, the M&P series designer, saying there were some problems implementing the stacking and facing of the large infantry counters with the artillery pieces (or something like that).
You shouldn't have any problem with stacking, using game piece layers and the new stacking traits options.
If you do get in a bind in your efforts just holler ;)