How far do you sub type a terrain type?

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have large areas of “Medium Scrub”. Much is just plain “Medium Scrub”, but some areas due to the underlying terrain, (elevation grades etc), are only traversable by dismount type units.

Do I, for the benefit of the human player sub type this Medium Scrub into 2 groups, Medium Scrub and Medium Scrub (Dismount only)?
Vision reductions don’t change only movement ability.

I can just call these sub types Medium Scrub-Type 1 and Medium Scrub-Type 2. That does not give much away.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nick,

If it is impotant to your game play that there are two clearly different types of effects for your scrub I would go with your idea of Type 1 medium scrub and Type 2 medium scrub.

regards

Gary

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nick,

If it is impotant to your game play that there are two clearly different types of effects for your scrub I would go with your idea of Type 1 medium scrub and Type 2 medium scrub.

regards

Gary
Thanks Gary, that just has added 5 new terrain types.. Oh Groan!!!!!! I will use the Type 1 /2 style of naming. I just was not too happy with "Medium Scrub - Dismount Only" on the final map for terrain that only allows dismounts to move.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you may be taking this to a much finer degree than is necessary. There are going to be areas that are no-go for vehicles, and this SHOULD be obvious when you look at your topo map. If not, then you can/should add a notation to the topo map that says "Steep Grade - No Vehicles". There is no reason to creat yet another terrain type and try and place it just so.

I could understand if the map was flat or didn't include areas of no-go terrain...then you should add your own terrain type OR you can add no-go terrain blocks in the AI map as well!.

This is, of course, my opinion only, but you seem to be getting to a frustration saturation point for no reason. Just mark that particular area on your topo map as dismount only and drive on.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ive seen officers and Sen NCOs look at a map and so Ok lest go till they hit "That spot" they can not GO.
So I always have a deep suspicion people do not understand topo maps. Blame old age and years of topo map reading.

I think you may be taking this to a much finer degree than is necessary. There are going to be areas that are no-go for vehicles, and this SHOULD be obvious when you look at your topo map.
It was only fine as ther are several types of terrain. AND I am not keen on doing lots of terrain types.

If not, then you can/should add a notation to the topo map that says "Steep Grade - No Vehicles". There is no reason to creat yet another terrain type and try and place it just so.

I could understand if the map was flat or didn't include areas of no-go terrain...then you should add your own terrain type OR you can add no-go terrain blocks in the AI map as well!.

This is, of course, my opinion only, but you seem to be getting to a frustration saturation point for no reason. Just mark that particular area on your topo map as dismount only and drive on.
That saves lots of work !! The AI map was/is not a problem it was the human player.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ive seen officers and Sen NCOs look at a map and so Ok lest go till they hit "That spot" they can not GO.
So I always have a deep suspicion people do not understand topo maps. Blame old age and years of topo map reading.

It was only fine as ther are several types of terrain. AND I am not keen on doing lots of terrain types.

That saves lots of work !! The AI map was/is not a problem it was the human player.
The thing is that placing impassable terrain will not allow your units to move through it either! It is still a no go terrain area for ALL motorized units on the map, whether AI or your units.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The thing is that placing impassable terrain will not allow your units to move through it either! It is still a no go terrain area for ALL motorized units on the map, whether AI or your units.
All I intend to do is leave the terrain as is, ie not sub type it. That leaves the player to sort out their side of things. I am and have not intension to add specific impassable terrain as such.

As for the AI the AI Help Map does provide auto generated Impassable Regions, which I gather is ‘AI ONLY’ and has nothing to do with the human player, (assumption!!).
According to the tutorial the AI Help Map Impassable Regions are for non dismounts, so a dismount unit can traverse such a region that is the auto generated ones.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. AI map only effects AI generated paths. Player generated paths are governed by terrain and elevation alone.