How exited are you about the Korean War module?

How excited are you about the Korean War module?

• Total voters

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think some responses just have to await until you all read the rules and rationale found in the box. Let us hope it won't be too long. Then we can circle back to some of these points. As I am not at liberty to address them at this point in time.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know it suddenly occurs to me that the standard American 6-6-6 was a "design for effect" vis-a-vis the Germans, but against the NKPA and CPVA 6 morale Yankee first line units seems...just wrong.

The exploits of the 1st Cav and 24th Div in 1950 could be represented by 5-4-6 2nd line Yanks just fine, but after the Americans found their footing, the standard ASL 1st line unit with morale 6 is not going to cut it.

Very much interested to see if there are new American units for this module. Bump me up to 8.5 on the "Exited" Scale.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"new American units" lots...ie vehicles...new MMC...Airborne and Rangers. Not divulging values nor abilities.
Designers are free to use the 6-6-7 wherever the see fit.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested in hearing this too. Great topic.

Striping implies a certain fanaticism created by culture or years of indoctrination. Would the CCW PLA troops have been around long enough to form this type of 'bushido'?

Would love to see the off shoot of the KW module bring us more scenarios about this conflict as well as interest and/or attention shifts to this area for a short while.
I think it was a matter of, "fear of Commissar," combined with Chinese culture.

More so than the Russians.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I went with a 2, nothing more than curiosity really. I dont plan on purchasing it or playing it, just doesnt interest me. All the power to those of whom it does interest tho, that is the best thing about ASL, its got something for everyone.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here is Rick's thought on that point.

....., to the extent that "striping" in ASL is intended to be a reflection of CPV tactics (and perhaps something in the very nature of mass infantry armies) rather than simply cultural stereotyping, I would argue that it is as applicable to the PLA in the CCW as to the CPV in the KW - CPV tactics were, after all, PLA tactics - and if aspects of those tactics (in particular the concentration of force against a key point) resulted in heavier losses when applied against UN troops in Korea than they had when applied against the GMD in the CCW, that is mostly a function of the much heavier firepower that UN troops could bring to bear - it is noteworthy that CPV tactics were more effective against the ROKs, who were probably more on par with the GMD.
Thanks for the feedback Andy.

Regardless what the rationale(s) for Step Reduction ultimately are, it seems unlikely that this particular trait would manifest itself overnight in Korea. There ought to be some history of such behaviour.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are welcome.
As I noted upstream, I have to leave it to you all to digest the rules and footnotes and the like before moving on. We are all not reading from the same sheets of music at present and I am not at liberty to play any more notes than I have.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is Rick's thought on that point.

....., to the extent that "striping" in ASL is intended to be a reflection of CPV tactics (and perhaps something in the very nature of mass infantry armies) rather than simply cultural stereotyping, I would argue that it is as applicable to the PLA in the CCW as to the CPV in the KW - CPV tactics were, after all, PLA tactics - and if aspects of those tactics (in particular the concentration of force against a key point) resulted in heavier losses when applied against UN troops in Korea than they had when applied against the GMD in the CCW, that is mostly a function of the much heavier firepower that UN troops could bring to bear - it is noteworthy that CPV tactics were more effective against the ROKs, who were probably more on par with the GMD.
Please pass along my thanks to Rick for his thoughts.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I am enthusiastic and motivated (a '9', nothing gaming related brings a '10'). Korea has been a favorite topic since high school. So when HP came out I thought it was nice and played a couple of scenarios, but due to the subject matter I will make an effort to play all of the KW scenarios in the module.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
4 for me. With ASL I am likely to stick to WW2. Korea is more interesting for me from the "reading" than "gaming" approach, though even there WW2 ranks much higher.

The things I am most interested in in this module might be the new rules sections on terrain. Who knows - maybe they can add to the terrain variety for "regular" (i.e. WW2) scenarios.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....The things I am most interested in in this module might be the new rules sections on terrain. Who knows - maybe they can add to the terrain variety for "regular" (i.e. WW2) scenarios.

von Marwitz
There are three offerings to come, two offer greatest retro-fit to WWII, the 3d is a small modification to the nature of rice paddies as befits Korea, so very specific to that area.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I playtested a few scenarios at WO and enjoyed them. Nice mix of new units and nationality characteristics. I think those "only interested in the boards" will find once they open the box that they will want to try the scenarios. The experience will be similar to learning PTO or DTO and the module will find its converts and those who feel it is not for them. But I think in the end there will be more interested in it than they think they are right now.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While there is truth in what you say here, I would add, however, that by this stage of ASL in WWII we are also nearing the bottom of the well in terms of design (I am not talking about you as a designer specifically, but rather overall in the 6,000 scenario out there). It is very rare these days that I come across a design that is so fresh I have not played a version of it before [EXC: HASL designs].
Try my recent Journal offering 'Heart of Athena'

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
While there is truth in what you say here, I would add, however, that by this stage of ASL in WWII we are also nearing the bottom of the well in terms of design (I am not talking about you as a designer specifically, but rather overall in the 6,000 scenario out there). It is very rare these days that I come across a design that is so fresh I have not played a version of it before [EXC: HASL designs].
This may warrant a thread of its own, but i completely disagree.
New scenario designs belong to the category of 'known unknowns' in the Rumsfeldian sense. I know it is possible to do something new, i know they are coming and i am looking forward to them. Actually if i knew that it weren't the case, i would stop playing.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went with a 2, nothing more than curiosity really. All the power to those of whom it does interest tho, that is the best thing about ASL, its got something for everyone.
Same here, although I gave it a 3. I was stationed in Korea for a bit, and the folks definitely get friendlier the closer you get to the 38th parallel. But refighting that war doesn't call to me the way WW2 does. Maybe my interest will grow once I see it hit the table and people are playing and talking about it. I won't live long enough to play all the regular ASL scenarios I have, so this isn't a must-buy.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Battle of Taejon
Battle of Chipyong-ni: "the Gettysburg of the Korean War".

JR
In desperation, the regiment sent out four tanks under Captain Perry Sager to attempt to flank the Chinese.

Right about this time, at 15:45, units of the
5th Cavalry Regiment (Task Force Crombez) moved out from a town to the south to support the men at Chipyong-ni.[8]

Might be enough activity here and prior for a '5th Cavalry Regiment' -themed Action Pack :)