How exited are you about the Korean War module?

How excited are you about the Korean War module?

• Total voters

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
10 is best and you are really excited, 1 is the worst and you are not interested at all.

Why?

I'm a 10. I'm really looking forward to this one. I've read The Forgotten War by Clay Blair in anticipation of its arrival (Thanks Pete Shelling for the suggestion). I want to see the new units, the new nationalities, the new scenarios and the potential scenarios our finest designers will come up with once they get this module in their hands. The Hill terrain mapboards look amazing and daunting.

The only thing I'm worried about is the potential for a large amount of Night scenarios, which I'm not found of, due to the Chinese attacking a lot at night after they entered the war. Weather; rain, snow, and mud doesn't worry me and it should create a unique experience especially coupled with the Hill terrain. A lot of the Korean War battles were slog fests and it will be interesting to see if or how the designers will recreate these horrible conditions.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is there going to be a scenario with a 10-3, heroic leader giving sworn testimony to an unarmed squad? That's probably the high-point of the war.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I gave it a 7.
I am more intrigued than excited .
I know about nothing of that war.
I am looking forward to playing with new toys and units .
I hope that there won't be too many night scenarios , as I don't play night rules.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
An 8 - excited but not sure if it will fulfill its potential.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the weight of the module box (full) x the acceleration of gravity x the height from the playing surface each person plays on....therefore a variable...not a constant as Honza believes. Its potential is therefore infinite.

Last edited:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About as stoked as I can be about an ASL product. I think AoO was a 10 and Hockaloogie was an 8. I say "9".

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Since you asked, I went with a 2. The Korean War just doesn't push my buttons from a gaming point of view. But I'd like more mountain maps.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Strong interest, but an lasting one will depend on the quality of specific rules and scenarios, otherwise it may be a flash in the pan.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see how the initial scenarios are a defining element, those of BV did not make or break ASL (or BV as a module), there are many more classics designed after BV than classics in BV (ok maths alone stands to reason), but I do take the point that the rules/Chap H are what will allow all those other designers out there to design scenarios that make the flash a fire...and I think the rules will do that.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There is no zero option. The 1 implies I have enough interest to realize I am not interested. I will probably not buy it although I may get the boards. If I decide to buy it, I definitely won't punch it or put it into Raaco's. Zero desire to see this. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is no zero option. The 1 implies I have enough interest to realize I am not interested. I will probably not buy it although I may get the boards. If I decide to buy it, I definitely won't punch it or put it into Raaco's. Zero desire to see this. -- jim
Minimum Move, Advance vs Difficult Terrain. Minimum Move, Advance vs Difficult Terrain...

What's not to like?

Edit: Ooops! I thought you were talking about the Hamburger Hill HASL. :D

Wrong war. My bad.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Minimum Move, Advance vs Difficult Terrain. Minimum Move, Advance vs Difficult Terrain...

What's not to like?

Edit: Ooops! I thought you were talking about the Hamburger Hill HASL. :D

Wrong war. My bad.
I have more interest in a HASL than I do Korea. WWII only please. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gave it a generous 4, mostly because with some of the tanks I can design some hypothetical cold war actions.
Applies to uphill crags. And you forgot it takes place at night, with two modules of OBA with no red chits.

And Jets.

No Sharks.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1 as there was no zero, ASL is IMHO WWII, not Korean war era, even though a lot of the wep systems were late WWII era. does not interest me. Would of preferred to see some more OOP stuff brought back into print earlier.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I made it a 9. Not quite a 10 due to familiarity, but still really looking forward to it.

We did a lot of playtesting for it and it does a good job of capturing the action and feel of a hill top position being stormed by a hoard of Chinese. The Chinese Communists are not as different from Japanese as the Japanese are from European armies, but they are different.....more like Japanese with a lot of automatic weapons that need to run in packs.

I would think it would be easily extended to French IndoChina as well.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I made it a 9. Not quite a 10 due to familiarity, but still really looking forward to it.

We did a lot of playtesting for it and it does a good job of capturing the action and feel of a hill top position being stormed by a hoard of Chinese. The Chinese Communists are not as different from Japanese as the Japanese are from European armies, but they are different.....more like Japanese with a lot of automatic weapons that need to run in packs.

I would think it would be easily extended to French IndoChina as well.
Yup, could easily go to F-I-C.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
After I read The Coldest Winter and built a 1/48 Korean War F4U (local IPMS "birth year" build, i.e. 1950) I got pretty excited about it. I also did some translation work of letters from Kim Il Sung to Stalin which I found most interesting. It will be a must buy.