How does the new VASL thread work ??

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ASL thread.JPG

Can some VASL guru please let me know HOW:

The thread from J8 to the AFV exists and how to create it?

This works both ways selecting the AFV will also draw the LOS to the AA gun.

This is going to make larger games a lot easier to play !!

Thanks

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think what you are seeing is not a LOS Thread but counter linking, which enables you to link two counters together. This was introduced in 6.4.0:

• Counter linking. You can link two counters together and display a line showing the link. Great for Guns and acquisition counters or firer-target pairs. To link: select any two counters, then press CTRL-ALT-L. Linkline will show. Click elsewhere and Linkline will disappear. Reclick one of the counters and Linkline will reappear. To end link, select both counters, press CTRL-ALT-U.
The linkline is NOT an los thread and should not be taken to mean that there is a clear los between the two counters. It is simply a means of showing a connection between counters, such as a gun and its acquisition counter (but any two counters will work I believe).

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks. Is that btw explained anywhere in the VASL help area as I did look and nada.

:)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Playing Flying Turrets just now and we discovered this last Friday. My goodness! it is a godsend as we have acq all over the shop with no idea of where they are from. Whoever came up with this is a genius!
The thread is thicker than a los thread so can't reveal tricky LOS blockages but will show gross ones, you know, the "I didn't reaise a builidng was there" ones we have all had.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was this feature ever implemented? Also, Running on Linux and CTRL-ALT-L locks my screen. Is there a way to change the key press for this event?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Was this feature ever implemented? Also, Running on Linux and CTRL-ALT-L locks my screen. Is there a way to change the key press for this event?
Yes, the functionality is implemented as of VASL6.4.0. Help text explaining the functionality is included as of VASL6.4.2. Click Help then Counter Controls and scroll way down.

As for Linux, I don't know but hope that others will reply.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also, Running on Linux and CTRL-ALT-L locks my screen. Is there a way to change the key press for this event?
As for Linux, I don't know but hope that others will reply.
In general changing key combinations in vasl is a non-starter unless you are willing to recompile the code. I don't know about this particular feature, however. One suggestion would be to change your screen lock to Super-L (Super is the key often marked with the windows flag) anyway, which I think is what windows uses.

edit: a brief examination of the code supports my belief that there is no way to re-map the key combination. This is a general problem in vasl (and probably in vassal too), not just for this feature.

JR

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can customize the keys without coding. Edit the VASL module (in VASSAL right-click on the module and select edit). In the editor expand the Map Window and find the Piece Linker object). Double click that to bring up the editor. Click into the "Link Key" and "Unlink Key" fields and hit the key stoke you want to use BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SELECT A KEY STROKE ALREADY IN USE.

As you can see you can also customize the thread color and thickness.

-Sully

1530384500981.png

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a way to draw an LOS from the Firer's hex center dot to an atypical LOS aim point (A6.12 / A4.132) of where the road crosses a hexside? It seems that by default, the thread goes to either the target hex center dot or one of the hex vertices.

Thanks,
Velo

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
will & i tested and realized that if you hipped the ordnance or afv and click on an acq counter thats already linked, the line WONT show (to your opponent)! nicely done

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One down side of this is when you're the onky one that knows how to link the two (it's not that hard forchristsakes!) Then if your opponents unit is concealed you can't link it either.