How does LOTRO compare to other MMO's?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is there a big difference in the gameplay in LOTRO and, say, WoW? Or are the differences merely cosmetic?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: How does LOTRO compare to other MMO's

This is a copy about that question that I posted on MD's LotR blog ( http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=81820) - still fits.

Palantir said:
My take- long & very rambling:

Well, being a massive LotR fan (for over 35 yrs... including D&D) I was extremely hesitant to play LotRO and have it destroy the world Tolkien created in my mind: I need not have worried.

After leveling several characters in WOW, to lvl 70, and now having a 52nd level Hunter in LotRO (and several other classes) I can say with complete confidence that LotRO is better than WoW, I would never go back. I played WoW for years then dropped it like that. (But then if you don't like Tolkien's world you will probably not like the game either.) WOW is about PVP which it does well, LotRO is about immersing yourself in the world & questing.

I believe WoW is designed for the twitchy & pushy teen/ pre-teen crowd while LotRO has been designed for adults. If you doubt this just try & find a "Goldshire" (WoW) location in LotRO - you won't. For the non-WoW'ers Goldshire is a location in WoW where 24/7 every obscene emote/action/conversation/thing you can imagine goes on- I kid you not (I told my sons they had to avoid that area & made repeated complaints to the moderators = no response.) Unlike WoW in LotRO you can't undress down to your panties and perform animated sex acts (yes it can be done in WoW). Your LotRO characters also look like "real" people & dress that way and not like a cheap peep show.

In comparison I have seen/read almost NO questionable activity in my entire gaming experience in LotRO. WOW was fun but scheech no moderation. In LotRO I've seen players have their name's "altered" within minutes of a complaint to "newname," even such benign but copyrighted names like "Gandalf'sfire" are required to be changed. The quick moderation response is impressive.

Weapons/armor look "real" in LotRO & do not resemble ones that are bigger than a horse. WoW is a fantasy game of course so if that's what the players want then fine but you will not see that in LotRO (so far).

The terrain/graphic's in LotRO are great and are "realistic," the view from Weather Top will knock your socks off (go to the top in good weather!). I bought a lifetime subscription when I saw that panorama. It's exciting just to turn the next corner, I enjoy exploring just to see what comes into view next.

Grinding is not encouraged in LotRO, questing is. The points you get from killing a "mob" are small compared to completing & turning in quests. There are ton's & ton's of quests that can be solo'd and there are over 50 quests in a zone to do- they seem to never run out. The quests are also very engaging, fun and Middle Earth oriented. There are many that directly follow the books / Fellowship that you get to be involved in. I run with my wife mostly- (more below) and we've had to visit the Old Forest & talk to Tom Bombadil, save Bill the Pony and are now covering up the trail of the Fellowship near Moria. The quests are simply a blast to do.

PVP is limited to a specific area called the "Ettenmoors" where you can go or not. This area is not required to ever be entered if you don't want to PVP. Inside you can be the "enemy" (Orc/spider/wolf) or "Free People" or take your own character inside to play at upper lvls.

There are only a few instances / quests that take hours to complete & like WoW there are some special ones that you can only enter after a set time. At lvl 52 (60 is max) I've not yet been required to enter those, although I have done a few quests requiring a group (fellowship) that took 2-3 hours max.

My wife and I are in a Kinship (Guild) made up of nearly all adults & married couples (& some of their kids). The players we've met while gaming almost without exception have been respectful, good natured, mature and fun. I'm sure some players are not, as in all MMO's, but we have not encountered them.

The music sets the tone of an area and just pulls you in. Some players never turn it off as it's not intrusive or wearisome. Personally I now have the LOTR sound track playing behind me...

My biggest gripe about the game- they have allowed players to ride "rams" as mounts outside of Moria. Yep, after 6 months of playing a mount type allowed is my main complaint. (You shouldn't ride a horse in a mine so they came up with a ram.) I understand it's fantasy & the designers had to "create" stuff to kill & do so you want to keep playing (there are only so many monsters Tolkien mentioned & orcs you can kill)- fine.

All in all you never feel like you are outside of Middle Earth or things don't fit. The story lines are worth reading & following as you do them. Each quest line one makes sense for the area you are in. As in WoW having to retrace your steps and go back & destroy say, drake eggs on one quest after you have already skinned the drakes in the preceding quest can be frustrating: at least in LotRO all the creatures have livers!).

Playing WoW is an unending race to get new "stuff," (mostly so you can PvP) then once you get it you immediately set out to get more stuff: which you also race to replace as soon as possible...
LotRO however is an immersion - an exciting "stroll" through Tolkiens World, (abet game world) the journey IS the adventure and fun, you will get to the destination when you get there.

It's the difference between taking a super highway to your destination or taking the winding scenic back road. Both will get you where you are going, it's just how you get there and what you want to do along the way. One offers billboards, fast-food & tourist traps, the other offers great vistas, a taste of the local cuisine and charm!

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Re: Sounds like LOTRO is somewhat unique

Thanks for the response. That explains a lot.

From your description, it sounds like LOTRO is the polar opposite of EVE Online. Players in that MMO generally fall into two types: carebears and PvPers. The carebears are those who generally prefer to "stroll" through the universe, run missions (quests), mine for resources, explore, or trade goods for profit. PvP in EVE is absolutely brutal -- far more unforgiving and vicious than the PvP found in WoW. There is a visceral hatred in the EVE community toward WoW players and carebears in general, and I sometimes find this attitude childish.

Although I don't mind PvP -- at least up to a point -- I tend to be a "carebear" a lot of the time when I play MMOs. I like the freedom EVE offers, but the vicious nature of the gameplay and the belligerent tone of the players can grow wearisome after a time. Sometimes you just want to have fun without someone else kicking over your sand castle.

I have tried Conan as well. I played a necromancer up to level 23. That was fun, but after a while it sort of felt like I was doing the same thing over and over in a place that just looked slightly different. Eventually I just got bored.

I'm thinking of starting up a new MMO and I'm reviewing my options. LOTRO sounds like it might have possibilities. I need to check out Warhammer as well.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Sounds like LOTRO is somewhat unique

...EVE is absolutely brutal....
After watching one of my sons play it and becoming a training officer for a corporation I agree completely.
Sometimes you just want to have fun without someone else kicking over your sand castle.
That describes most PvP, you have to enjoy doing that kind of stuff.

. I have tried Conan as well.
That game flared like a match then died just as fast.

.LOTRO sounds like it might have possibilities.
If you like Tolkien & getting involved in more than just "getting stuff" you might enjoy it. You know there has to be something to a game where groups of players organize and travel around the world giving concerts & visiting local inn's to taste the different beers" and you have fun delivering mail! Oh ya, don't forget the quests & combat.

Last edited:

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent explanation Palantir.

WoW is definitely a gear grind. I like the content from level 1-79, but once you reach level 80 it's really about running instances for gear and doing arenas.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have my first 60th lvl (max) character! My Hunter made the leap turning in, appropriately, a "Hunters Quest" in Moria.

How does LotRO still compare to WoW?

When I hit 70 in WoW it was with a, "thank goodness it's over" mindset. There was no point going on just to grind out another +.01 to a gear item. As I've said before, I had no connection to, or any interest in any of the quests I had done, it was all gear driven. There's only so many pigs you can kill with no livers or ears to get another item...

The WoW "story line" as far as I was concerned was: the Alliance vs. the Horde splitting the world between them, then they sort of joined up to fight "Aliens" (Scourge) that appeared in another dimension- oh and I needed new gear to replace the ones I just got...

Hitting 60th in LotRO was- "I still have 40 quests sitting in my list I WANT to complete, I haven't even seen all of Moria yet and just barely entered Lothlorien!" Not to mention I'm still having a great time battling to get thru Book 1 of the Epic Story line.

Even maxed at 60th it's just crazy whats still ahead for my character: new areas to explore, quests to complete and things to do. Plus, all the things in the original area of the game I WANT to do. {Getting new gear is still an after thought.}

There's no pressure to hurry anywhere in LotRO unlike WoW's "keep moving forward to get the next gear" rush. I could have been "forward" in Lothlorien long ago but there are so many interesting things still to do "behind" me I'm in no hurry. I spent several weeks real time doing quests etc. that I received no experience for or new "stuff" from: but they were challenging, interesting and most of all fun.

It's interesting how many times I can come out of a LotRO quest saying "that was a blast" and discover I've lost money in the endeavor (item repair/healing's used etc) and not care. For me being in a quest driven game is so much better than a gear driven game.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've just tried this and am left feeling "so what"? It does not seem to have much to justify it's £10 a month price tag over Neverwinter Nights. Am I missing something that will be revealed as I get into the game. I have only played a couple of nights and there does not seem to be much interaction with others as yet.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Vinnie! :)
Welcome to the forum.:toast: What server are you on?

Please ask any questions you have, I've posted quite a few of MY thoughts & comments on the game here already. :halo:

{I played NWN a long time ago but single player so I can't reply to playing that game online.)

The starting sections (lvl 1-10) are pretty much "Solo" places to get you up to speed on how to play. You could run alone all the way up to level 60 if you wanted but you'd also pass up the best parts of LotRO. (My wife agrees, we're both lvl 60's btw)

The key is for you to decide how involved you want to be. The game was designed for players who like the LotR world & lore, grouping with others and being involved with the quests & not "gear" (although it's slipping into generalities a bit). There are Kinships (Guilds in WoW) out there for everyone's gaming style even one for players who "don't like being in Kinships." :crosseye:

The best way is to just chat with other players you see and ask to join a quest they are doing or for help in a group quest you want to do. Getting into a PUG (pick up group) is a good way to watch & look for a style of play or camaraderie that matched your tastes. You can also go to LotRO.com and check out the Kinship pages on your server & see if any match what you want.
As you can probably tell from all my lengthy posts I'm in a "friendly, chatty" Kinship that values friends & fun over getting levels & gear: not much role-playing though.

The players I've talked to have all been very nice & helpful, although there was the one guy deep into Roleplaying that got mad when I saved him from dying... Not sure what his "storyline" was.

Off to LotrO! ;)
Hope to see you around. :thumup:

PS- Happy Memorial Day everyone :flag:

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been playiong on the Snowbourne server (mainly since that is where my friend played). It just seems to be a heck of a lot of sheckles for very little extra "fun". Maybe I just need to give it a little more time but with 3 kids that is a premium.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just might not be your MMO game.

Fortunately there's plenty to choose from out there:

Want to be a Klingon?- Star Trek (when it's released) :nofear:
Like killing other players in a fantasy setting? WoW :bite:
Like swooshing a Light-saber & being a Wookie?- Star wars :alien:
Want to help determine the control of the Universe & kill everyone in the process? EvE :skull:
Like to pretend you have a better life? Second Life. :toilet:
Want to help save Middle Earth & be an Elf? Lord of the Rings. :thumup:

Pick your pleasure! :toast:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's interesting how many times I can come out of a LotRO quest saying "that was a blast" and discover I've lost money in the endeavor (item repair/healing's used etc) and not care. For me being in a quest driven game is so much better than a gear driven game.
It's also relatively easy to make money back if one tracks where the premium regions are for the various levels; I know if I want to make some coin right now I can head to Fornost and get a silver coin for every victory over the shades there with my Hunter who is in the mid-30s as far as level. In Evendim, there are plenty of Tomb Robbers who not only have silver coins but also the occasional healing essence as well as other items and even offer up mild XP rewards, and if you go far enough south into the sunken city, there are monsters that offer greater XP rewards and challenges. One can go back to the Barrow Downs and fight til the cows come home without even getting a scratch and pick up all kinds of loot, but there are is no XP reward and the monetary gain is slower as the money there is in coppers rather than silver - but is literally endless if you have the time. etc. etc.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This post has "some" of what I have been saying about Turbine for a bit, that it is trying to change to attract more of the WoW players, when it didn't have to change anything, just keep adding new LotR content! Of course I commented to it!

http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/19/lotro-growing-no-plans-for-server-merge-says-turbine/
{Quote}
The strange thing is that LOTRO has changed things in the game to attract the WoW crowd. And that they did. Now the game has a bunch of 8 year old “OMG I SO PWNZRED YOU!1!!!ONE!!111!!!” players it’s annoying.

Oh, and grinding… That’s ALL you do in Moria. Book 7 gave us Lothlorien, but all you do there is run around and sing to trees, pick flowers, turn lights on, and scold drunk elves over and over and over and over again.

The crafting system is useless. Random drops are better than most of the stuff that can be made, and you can’t make anything that comes close to the raid gear that’s available.And speaking of raiding, they’ve gear gated everything, so in order to do one instance, you have to do several others and coming in Book 8, you’ll have to do even more instances to be able to do the new raid that’s coming out.

LOTRO was good when it came out, but ever since the release of Moria, it has been nothing but grind, grind, grind. And don’t even get me started on the problems they have been having for the past six months. Why do all MMO’s fall into the same rut? They come out of the gate running, but end up totally screwing up the game after the first year.
{end quote}

To comment on some of that-

"The strange thing..."
When LotRO came out it attracted the LotR fans, basically an older crowd, now with more success & publicity the younger players are arriving to check out the game and Turbine modified areas to be more like WoW to attract even more of them. And you have "bad apples" in every game. There's only 1 area to PvP (insulated from the rest of LotrO) for that "pwnzred" stuff and you have to voluntarily want to go there. Since WoW is basically PvP I suspect that is where the WoW'ers went. Those things commonly happen in WoW I suspect it now happens here, although I've never seen it.

"oh and grinding..."
Grinding- that's pretty much every MMO game- you grind for hides, you grind for space ore etc. etc... Singing to Trees & picking flowers at least it's different & not just collecting another 20 pig livers. I like it- it's area specific: just as in the Shire, you were delivering pies & mail, it fits the game locals.

"The crafting..."
Gear- of course random drops will always be better than crafted or no one would ever leave a towns craft-hall. Although having to have the "exact" special gear to enter special instances has never sat right with me. But having to follow and complete a story-line (quest line) to get from one instance to another seems fine. Unless, you're required to have to do it 10+ times (per instance) to get an "exact" gear item(s) that only lets you into those instances- then it's just wrong. A player, being able to get only crafted items, (ok, maybe the best crafted items) should allow them to enjoy ALL the content of a game they have paid for. The instance might be harder or you might need extra help but to exclude you for not being able to spent 22 hours a day re-playing the same instance to get that random special gear drop is out of line. {which probably explains why I haven't done them or have that "special" gear}

"LotRO was good..."
I agree but think most companies get "full of themselves" and pat themselves on the back thinking they can do no wrong & over-do it with the next thing: the "Sophomore Curse." Hopefully with the next Expansion Turbine will return to LotR based ideas & not just WoW copies. Turbine came out with SoA and it absolutely rocked! They added a few upgrades, ok so far, then did the big "Moria" expansion shooting for the WoW'ers, when they should have just shot for the LotR Moria.

I'm sure Turbine is already hardwired-in to follow a defined path do-or-die for X upgrades but hope they can get back on the LotR path with the following Expansion & a Junior Hit!

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally have not seen too much of the WoW crowd in LOTRO as I have in EQ2 lately. Could be that EQ2 was on sale on steam has drawn some of the bored WoW players.

The crafting has under gone so many changes since launch, and honestly it's much better than it was when the game came out.

And I have never felt that LOTRO was ever a grind like some other games. MMO's will never abandon the current questing setup, and I hope they don't because it works, it just seems the in thing to complain about it because of the popularity of WoW.

Of course these are just my opinons...