• Other (please explain in post)

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just wondering as the topic as resurfaced recently - how do you use the replay function during your games? Do you make it a mouse-click festival or do you cut through it at the expense of knowing more accurately what happened during your opponent's move?
I for one vary according to scenario and situation. During the Wintergewitter tourney, I went through all my opponent's moves in the replay, single event by single event as my final result was going to count towards the German team eventual victory
. When writing an AAR, I also check quite scrupulously the replay.
Otherwise, I'll just sit and sip coffee while looking at it.
I thought I would ask you.

Last edited:

Foggy

Reaction score
I've been trying not to watch the replay - it seems to add to the
suspense :thumup:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
anything under a thousand moves, i'll watch. not too closely.
I listen for troops retreating.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I just click play and watch the show, I really don't care that much about what unit exactly did what, but the replay is good to get a general idea of what your opponent tries to do and where he's shifting his forces.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I clicked "replay, what replay?" as generally speaking I don't have time to watch it. It takes me darn long enough to get my moves back anyway. It is also somewhat frustrating in that if you do want to get some actual information from it and you let it play past what you wanted to see you can't rewind it a little bit.

The exception to my rule is tournament games where I really am obliged to do everything I can, except in Wintergewitter is too darn big to watch the replay (don't worry teammates - I think I have a pretty good handle on that one.) Sometimes if Mantis' EA move is particularly short I'll watch the replay to try to get an idea of his strategic shifts - like him ending up with a bunch of Soviet rifle corps in North Africa.

Reaction score
I typically just set the replay to play, then sit and watch it. I look for any major change in the opponent's strategy, like a new attack somewhaere, or a shift of forces. Often I won't bother looking at the replay at all. I find you can get a reasonable grip on how active your opponent was just by the number of moves in the replay. If he's been pretty quiet for the past several turns and putting out say 200 moves, and then suddenly his next turn has 600 moves, I know something big is likely going on. I also pay attention to any undo buzzes. If it seems like he's using undos excessively, then I'll say something.

06 Maestro

Reaction score
I will let the auto replay run about 90% of the time, but when there is activity in a critical area, or if unit ID is showing I switch to single click replay. To miss out on the movement of an important enemy unit whilst playing against a master of multiple rounds is not how to win a battle. When I get lazy and want to skip it; the memory of the WW1 Italian general comes to mind who admonished his staff with the ill wisdom that "it doesent matter what the enemy is doing, only what we are doing" -something like that anyway.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For me it depends of the scenario and of the turn, and even of the moment of the turn. When it is a long railroad move I look at it quickly for example. At the same time I re-watch some part two times when I want to be sure what my opponent did, and to remember it well during my own turn.

LaPaIice.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Mostly it is too long for me, and generally too frustrating for me to see my forces retreat, so I just skip it. Uh, that was a top secret :hush:

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
laszlo.nemedi said:
Mostly it is too long for me, and generally too frustrating for me to see my forces retreat, so I just skip it. Uh, that was a top secret :hush:
In fact it is interesting to know if your opponent watchs the replay or not.

LaPalice.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
LaPalice said:
In fact it is interesting to know if your opponent watchs the replay or not.

LaPalice.
Sometimes I see it to see the focus change of the opponent, but in big scenario it is just hard to see location of that movement.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Kraut said:
I just click play and watch the show, I really don't care that much about what unit exactly did what, but the replay is good to get a general idea of what your opponent tries to do and where he's shifting his forces.
I'd second that, but I am NOT running Kraut's fanclub! :cheeky:

In large scenarios, the replay is a bore, watching 10.000 moves or so (one army travelling 2000 km by rail is not so exciting), but once it arrives 50 km behind the front, it sure is good to know that...

It is also necessary to gain information about the play-style of your opponent I think, especially since turns can be some time before arriving, and memory is good, but short.... ;) In the end, I think it actually saves time.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tiberius said:
Sometimes if Mantis' EA move is particularly short I'll watch the replay to try to get an idea of his strategic shifts - like him ending up with a bunch of Soviet rifle corps in North Africa.
That took several turns to accomplish! But there really wasn't anything else to do with the sealift points otherwise. :D

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I went with other.

I let the replay go on by itself, with the mouse hovering over the 'play single move' button. The second I hear combat, I click it, and go through the moves one by one until the combats are over. Then back to autoplay... 'Til combat, then move by move, etc.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never heard a peep from my replays...what sounds are you guys talking about and how do I enable them?

As for me, watching a replay or not depends on if the wife is downstairs asking if I'm coming down or not ;)

Actually, its more a "...we're tired of waiting and will leave without you..." kind of thing :eek:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
SkyVon said:
I've never heard a peep from my replays...what sounds are you guys talking about and how do I enable them?
You should have them during replay, if you're getting the usual sounds of movement, combat, et cetera, during the normal course of the game. If you're not getting them, with the program open, go to the window menu bar, choose Sound/Sound Effects/Sound Effects On.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
replay is essential in giving the taste of suprise. like against your panthers in arracourt! when i played that tank unit plowing through my units, i truly felt panic!
very goood feature.
Soon i must write a thread about what add ons are needed for the imminent (shurely, please god) toaw 2...