How do you make VASL Counters?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I would like help with the VASL stuff, so my question is, how would I go about making VASL counters? I want to make VASL counters for stuff like ToT rare vehicle pack, Gen 48 and ect, ect.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scott,

Learn how to convert the newer CH maps into VASL and I'll play you any time, and massage your back at the same time.

:banana:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Any app that can produce a gif imagefile is usable. The ctrs are 48x48 or 60x60 pixels w/ a color-depth of 256 or 16. The 'apps of choice' are CorelDraw (for tracing scanned images) and PhotoShop for assembling the CorelDraw .cdr file w/ the std background images, and adding textinfo/symbols. I also use Paint Shop Pro extensively (I have a better handle on its batch-processor), and have begun using MicroStation for tracings (w/ limited success). WinZip or other zip-archive utility is also req'd.

Direct scans of ctrs/maps/charts are not used in VASL for copyright reasons. Rather, the scans are traced, and the tracings are used to make the ctrs.

Once the images are created, VASSAL's built-in editor is used to create the .mdx file, generally one can copy an existing ctr to a new or existing 'tab' in the ctrtray, then alter this copy by changing its name and the imagefiles referenced by its various 'traits'.

Hang out in / beceome a member of http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vaslmapcabal/ - help is available in the Files section where documentation of the map-making & counter-trolling processes is kept.

While anyone is welcome to contribute to VASL in whatever area interests them, the biggest 'official' need at present is for tracings of the vast majority of non-British vehicle ctrs.

Last edited:

paulkenny

Reaction score
though it often goes unsaid, thanks to all the elves for all their time devoted to making VASL better.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
countermanCX said:
Direct scans of ctrs/maps/charts are not used in VASL for copyright reasons. Rather, the scans are traced, and the tracings are used to make the ctrs.
:shock:

How does that get around the "original artwork" problem

Whats thje difference if you "trace it" or use a scan - they both are copies of the original artwork (one just a little better than the other)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:

Whats thje difference if you "trace it" or use a scan - they both are copies of the original artwork (one just a little better than the other)
Please, can we keep the copy right threads in the off topic forum? This was just a technical question, lets not let it degenerate into a copyright flame war.

Scott

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Which I did not mention, the cdr tracing is vastly more 'usable' as it can be tweaked / rotated / scaled as needed for positioning & alignment, and can be combined w/ the standardized ctr-background. The original scanned image will only degrade as it is manipulated, must have its background erased, and will become unintelligible when scaled - the scan is 'unusable' for technical reasons as well as copyright considerations.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
SGT Holst said:
Please, can we keep the copy right threads in the off topic forum? This was just a technical question, lets not let it degenerate into a copyright flame war.

Scott
This is a new side of you Scott. I hope that the voice of reason continues to speak to you. -- jim

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I am one of the trolls making vasl counters, together with Kenn Monte and with the help from Zoltan Grose. The vasl countermaking proces is currently on hold due to my harddisc crashed. I should be up and running with the countermaking in a few weeks.

If you are interested in helping out, please let me know.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Danish said:
I am one of the trolls making vasl counters, together with Kenn Monte and with the help from Zoltan Grose. The vasl countermaking proces is currently on hold due to my harddisc crashed. I should be up and running with the countermaking in a few weeks.

If you are interested in helping out, please let me know.
Hi-

Ok, so I scan in for example my SS counter sheet, cut a Pz 1b out of the scan and save it to a jpeg file right? Now would I upload it to my VASL file?

thanks

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparafucil3 said:
This is a new side of you Scott. I hope that the voice of reason continues to speak to you. -- jim
No, its not the voice of reason:cheeky:

Its the fact that the usual suspects will turn this thread into a copyright flame war, then to a critical hit bashing flame war and the an IIFT vs IFT flame war. sad but true.

Scott

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
SGT Holst said:
No, its not the voice of reason:cheeky:

Its the fact that the usual suspects will turn this thread into a copyright flame war, then to a critical hit bashing flame war and the an IIFT vs IFT flame war. sad but true.

Scott
As opposed to an "MMP is rotten because of XXXX" thread :whist: --jim

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
SGT Holst said:
Hi-

Ok, so I scan in for example my SS counter sheet, cut a Pz 1b out of the scan and save it to a jpeg file right? Now would I upload it to my VASL file?

thanks

Scott
Thats pretty far from how we do it.
It takes a lot more skill than just scan-copy-paste.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Danish said:
Thats pretty far from how we do it.
It takes a lot more skill than just scan-copy-paste.
Well Master Jedi, you must then show this unworthy padawan how this proccess is done.

Scott

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ingram

Whats the difference if you "trace it" or use a scan - they both are copies of the original artwork (one just a little better than the other)

SGT Holst said:

Scott
By the way - I was not complaining. Just curious - because evidently that is a legal dodge (or not) what the heck do I know. Thats why I asked the question.:whist:

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fred Ingram said:
By the way - I was not complaining. Just curious - because evidently that is a legal dodge (or not) what the heck do I know. Thats why I asked the question.:whist:
Actually, the whole VASL thing has always had me wondering about its being a moving copyright violation.

In theory, all one need do is acquire a eASLRB, copy the maps and counters from VASL and there you go, a hard copy version of the game in addition to the virtual version.

In another thread, the discussion is about copying scenarios and it is causing quite a ruckus. With VASL, you can have the entire game system for free and no one says a peep.

I say this with the understanding that VASL has been the best thing for ASL since the ASLRB and BV.

=Jim=

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Jim McLeod said:
Actually, the whole VASL thing has always had me wondering about its being a moving copyright violation.
Hi Jim, my (imperfect/incomplete) understanding is that VASL is embraced/tolerated by MMP/Hasbro because a) none of it is a 'direct copy' of any graphic/written part of the commercial product & b) the VASSAL/VASL program is an 'emulation' of the physical game, it does not itself interpret/apply the game-system rules, nor does it supply copies (direct or otherwise) of those rules. Scenario setup files exist, but they do not include the neccessary info from the published scenario cards. In order to play a VASL game, physical ownership of published ASL components (ASLRB, charts, scenarios) is required. You can safely bet that rk is on top of this, & that VASL would have been quickly quashed were it illegal.

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
to answer Scott's question

here is how the trolls make counters (with a few exception - Hi Z!)
I scan the counters at 600dpi and send front and back to Kenneth for him to trace and create the sils.
While that is going on, I use Photoshop and my beloved layers to create the fronts and backs of the counters, which I send to Kenneth.
he places the sil in the psd file and returns. We flatten the layers as a gif.
As we complete a Nationality, I send the zip to Jeffrey to absorb into the VASL files.
I can go into more detail, but you get the idea.
A simple scan and import into VASL, while doable, is not going to produce the same quality image that we are currently delivering.
And, we are always on the lookout for anyone that can create the unit sils. This is the bottleneck, and a skillset that I do not have.
But, there were no takers when I posted a while ago seeking to expand the team.

Also, I have sent Dave L an email at CH, who sent it on to Ray, asking a bunch of questions regarding CH and VASL. I have not had a response yet, and am not going to spend any time working on those counters until I do. I am not prepared to open another can of worms if CH is not satisfied with how we do something and decided to target VASL.
I am open to discussion on this, but this is not the thread to start a flamewar on any of this.

finally, trolls make counters, elves make maps, counterman cx wraps it all together and rk is...well he is the man!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps slightly off topic, but are there plans to create "Soldiers of Negus" counters? Probably not the most urgent request in the world, but I wouldn't mind trying a scenario or two from that pack.

Cheers!

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SoN, short answer yes. Long answer, not until after MMP and HOB. It will also depend on the answer that I get from CH. If they are opposed to it, I will not put VASL at risk.