How do you like to organize your vehicle counters?

How do you like to organize your Vehicle counters?

• Total voters

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How many counters does one put into a coin envelope?
As many as you want, limited by the number that will fit. I assume most sorters use one envelope for each type, but one could put "similar" types (e.g. StuG IIIB, StuG IIIG) in the same envelope or separate out those that are on the same vehicle note but are somehow different (e.g. by MG factors).

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Store em this way in gallon size ziploc bags - makes picking everything up and putting it all away a breeze :). You only need 1 baggie per nationality :D

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For years I used this with my first ASL set:

had a set of three that held 99 small drawers each with 3 dividers per drawer- plenty of space for all back then. Not portable, though.

Nowadays I used Planos for the master storage set and these for a travel kit - customized to the pre-selected scenario needs:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
When thinking about a given vehicle, i find it easier to remember it by its MA caliber (which is gaming-relevant) than its Ch. H note number (that i wouldn't remember since it has no game purpose).

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm moving my counter storage from Darice bead trays to Hozan trays, and am finally looking at organizing my 5/8" vehicle and gun counters. I settled on Chapter H order, and here are the Russkies:

Alan

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When thinking about a given vehicle, i find it easier to remember it by its MA caliber (which is gaming-relevant) than its Ch. H note number (that i wouldn't remember since it has no game purpose).
As chapter H sorts vehicles by types (typically starting with tanks), those are about as gaming-relevant as caliber (and I am grateful that chapter H put the priority on vehicle types rather than on gun caliber, armor or another factor which would mix up very different vehicles).
I don't think that one system is better than another from that point of view.
When an OB tells me that I need a T-34/M43, I don't first care about the gun's caliber, as I will immediately find it among my tanks.
To each one his own : I believe that there is a different sorting system per player.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Back when I was first sorting my first set of counters (early 90's), I thought gun caliber was the way to go - after all, it tended to be the first thing I'd look at when examining a scenario card. But in fact, there are plenty of vehicle variants that happen to have different gun calibers, and this means if you really go by caliber, these will be spread from each other.

So now I'm going with Chapter H note number - this, at least, keeps variants close to each other, mostly. Now if I have a scenario with T34's, I know they're all close together. I don't try to memorize note numbers, but then adding them is just a matter of labelling slots or making a reference card.

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Stored in coin envelopes with vehicle notes, sorted by Chapter H number.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've been organizing my vehicles within each nationality in order of ascending gun size, but I'm thinking of changing to another method. I suspect most organize by Chapter H note number. How do you like to organize your vehicle counters?
Big bins, by type. Depends on nationality.

German -

WHEELED VEHICLES
HALFTRACKS
ARMOURED CARS
FULLY TRACKED OPEN TOP NON-TURRETED AFV
FULLY TRACKED CLOSED TOP NON-TURRETED AFV
FULL TRACK TURRETED AFV with MA >50mm
FULL TRACK TURRETED AFV with MA <50mm

American:

SELF-PROPELLED GUNS (M7, M8, M10, M18, M36)
SHERMAN with 75mm MA
SHERMAN with 76 and 105mm MA
SOFTSKINS
AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLES
LIGHT TANKS, MEDIUM TANKS, HEAVY TANKS (EXCEPT SHERMANS)
HALFTRACKS

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These are great and I use Plano as well. Any chance you have your whole collection of these posted somewhere?
These are great and I use Plano as well. Any chance you have your whole collection of these posted somewhere?
I nabbed the xlsx file from the Texas ASL site and made my own modifications. Ex: I have the Germans in 2 bins vs. 3. I also change the colors to match the Pantone of the counters. I tried to attach the file but GS doesn't allow and Excel file.