How Do You Have All Units From All Games In One Data File?

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat:
I have all the ATF-AATF games in one file. If I wanted to add a VC platoon to the Soviet side in the Fulda Gap scenerio, how would I go about doing it? I believe each of the ATF/AATF games have the units numbered. I quess my question is how to merge all the units into one file.
Thanks.

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your best bet is to edit the units in that database and adding the VC platoon. The problem is that you will have to add any weapons data not already in the database. There are other considerations I'll let Pat address when he finally responds.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curt is right. Your best bet is going to be to manually enter the new vehicle.

I think you can "append" one database to the other, using the Power Toolkit. But the results are spotty, and you would also have to append the weapons, manually reassociate the weapons, etc. It is simpler to just add the vehicle/team manually.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat/Curt:
Thanks for the response. Is there a tutorial on how to go about manually entering the contents of one database into another?

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. What you can do is run a scenario and then cut and paste the HTML files for the units you want to copy from the savegame folder to another folder (so they won't be deleted). Make sure you also grab all the weapon files and ammo files (if applicable-i.e. indirect fire units). As for building a vehicle from scratch, here is the page:

http://www.prosimco.com/atf/tutorial/3_new_vehicle.htm

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat:
What do I use to cut and paste the HTML files. If I use Internet Explorer, I get an error messgae that Internet Explorer has stopped working. I didn't think it would be this difficult to add existing units from one data base to another. Help. Thanks.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are getting an IE error, it is not because of the HTML files from the savegame folder. They are about as plain as can be, no scripts or fancy coding. Just straight HTML.

Just copy the entire HTML file for each vehicle/weapon/ammo type (using Windows Explorer), into a new folder.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just to throw a spanner in the works, at one misguided time I did have an editor for the unit/vehicle/weapon database. It took a while to understand the original structures in the database. But this was for ATF only. As each databases for the others games are all slightly different from each other I dropped the whole thing as a bad exercise.
If there was a single internal, and I use that loosely, structure then I could revisit that headache.:mad:

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are getting an IE error, it is not because of the HTML files from the savegame folder. They are about as plain as can be, no scripts or fancy coding. Just straight HTML.

Just copy the entire HTML file for each vehicle/weapon/ammo type (using Windows Explorer), into a new folder.

Thanks. Still not able to work with the HTML file. I guess my thought of merging all the databases is DOA.

Thoroughly enjoy each game as is, my idea on merging the data files was just the cherry on top.:yummy:

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nick,

All of the databases for all of the games (ATF and AATF) all have the same basic structure. Newer games just add new vehicle and weapon capabilities that are not present in the older games.

If you are willing to tackle the project, and willing to sign an NDA, I will give you the header files and serialization code for the database structure.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nick,

All of the databases for all of the games (ATF and AATF) all have the same basic structure. Newer games just add new vehicle and weapon capabilities that are not present in the older games.

If you are willing to tackle the project, and willing to sign an NDA, I will give you the header files and serialization code for the database structure.
Pat,

Yes on a basic level it is correct. It is the additional capabilities that mad me decide not to continue.
Also there is one sticky point the pk values. Ina combined database this set of values has to be done for all vehicles/weapons. So there will still be a bit of hand tampering.

In general I have no problem with your suggestion, but can it wait till say March, by then I should be at a ‘fully functional’ 2 eyed sight level again. I am still operating at half capacity.

(Just wish that could have given me a slight x-ray vision, but heck with summer running at present who cares :D).

Nick

John Osborne

Reaction score
Nick,

Hi Pat,

Its been along time since I post here :)

Question, If I have AATF, which I do by the way, does it have all the weapons capabilities from the newer games, ie RT, TFW, TSAC, or do I have to install one on top of each other to get the weapons capabilities?

JohnO

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Pat,

Its been along time since I post here :)

Question, If I have AATF, which I do by the way, does it have all the weapons capabilities from the newer games, ie RT, TFW, TSAC, or do I have to install one on top of each other to get the weapons capabilities?

JohnO
AATF only has the following databases within it.
1. aatf.dbs - AATF
2. ananconda1.dbs - AATF
3. database1.dbs - ATF & AATF

database1.dbs is somewhat common to all games.

To make sure you have all databases it does require you to install on top of each other.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John,

The AATF ENGINE includes all of the capabilities from the last ATF game (The Star and the Crescent) plus a bunch of NEW capabilities designed to support helicopter ops in AATF. So AATF has more vehicle and weapon capabilities than any of the ATF games.

AATF also has a bunch of other stuff, of course, like the new interface, the damage model, the suppress and target orders, and many other features.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At one point, there was a fan working on a utility program to do this, but we were never working on a consolidated database ourselves.

I am not sure where the utility program is at. It has been a while since I heard about it.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat:
What I find frustrating in the scenerio editing process is trying to add a unit and being told that you have to change data bases. Is there any way that the program will only show units from the selected data base and grey-out units from other data bases in the unit selection process?