How do you get a scenario published by MMP?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, yep, I'm looking forward to it and I'm just hoping to get some useful playtesting done
the sooner I can put this stuff to bed and get it published the happier I will be, been working on it for what seems like an age now

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And don't be afraid of VASL.

There are some guys around there (first and foremost Patrick Ireland) that 'specialize' on teaching newbies.

Playing via VASL 'changed my ASL life forever' I may say. It is easy to find opponents all around the world in basically any time-zone. It works very well. If you don't have all the 'hardware' to play a scenario, VASL can virtually provide any board and counter.

Setting it up is not really difficult. Give it a try, it is very much worth it.

von Marwitz

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, my buddy John was going to show me the ropes with VASL right enough, we haven't got round to it yet but I guess we will, as I say, I'm daunted by it cos I just haven't tried it yet but I reckon I will eventually

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyhow, I signed up for HEROES down in Blackpool next month, Pete says to bring the scenarios down and see if we can get any playtesting done there, that would be great as there are a ton of players going so fingers crossed

heh, bust the budget getting the money to go down right enough but I guess it will be worth it, my first ever ASL tournament
In the olden days (1995-ish), that was the best way to playtest scenarios - have them featured in a tourney.

Some still do that.

Some other tips:

• Playtest other designer's work. This will not only give you 'owesies', but you will come to understand how change happens. Before I submitted my first scenario to AH, I had already paid some dues as a playtester. The experience also made me more comfortable working with others and receiving feedback. (Sometimes it's all over the spectrum, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)
  • Don't playtest your own scenario more than twice -once as each side. (EXC: Unless there is a heavy revision to board layout or other main concept.) You are looking for proper timing, and trying to determine if it is unique and interesting enough to stand out in the ASL world of 2000 scenarios. Trying to get your own scenario balanced is a fool's errand, as you are probably biased to the narrative and will play according to that. Others- not so biased- will play to win.
  • Consider several options for change, and start with the one that least changes the flavor of the scenario. (unless it lacks flavor- then do it the other way around) Then ask yourself : "as a player, why is this scenario attractive for me to pick out from all the other choices?"
After that, stop thinking about it and submit to a publisher. Scenarios are like your children. They are growing up fast and sometimes sending them off to boarding school will help them get ready for the world better than you can .

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks, that is great advice
yep, I guess I could try and playtest other folks stuff right enough in order to get them to help me with mine (it's just getting the time is all)

we got some playtesting done at Heroes at least so that helped

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
one thing to remember about any MMP submission - it needs to contain only new to the product being submitted or official counters and rules sets only. MMP is not going to publish a scenario using BFP or LFT manufactured counters, nor will they publish something using the coal pile or European hillock terrain rules from TPPs. The submission must meet the MMP produced only- test.

KRL, Jon H

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh, very good point that, thanks:cool:
so no using the High Ground maps or anything like that I guess
just keep it MMP all the way :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, very good point that, thanks:cool:
so no using the High Ground maps or anything like that I guess
just keep it MMP all the way :)
correct. Anything that is "official" is okay. You can, for example, use the Singling map from Spec Ops 3 if you prefer - but not a DTO map from a TPP. Just something to watch for, I know that my counters are mixed in the trays between TPP and Official ones - ie all the german 4-6-7s are together in one bin, irrespective of artwork. I know I rather like the Euro hillock rules form Clash of Steel - but those will never feature in a MMP printed item.

:)

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, that keeps me on track right enough (not that I actually have anything to submit at the minute mind you, still trying to get my Royal Scots scenarios playtested for Pete at View from the trenches, it's slowly getting there though)

:)