How do you get a scenario published by MMP?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your best bet might be to self publish your scenarios, maybe a kind of action pack that includes both scenarios and maybe a new board or overlays. Those types of packs always sell usually and are not expensive to produce or buy. Personally, I really do not buy scenario packs with counters, have enough counters to last a life time, but unique terrain be it boards or overlays are always welcomed on my gaming table.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You need these, but I believe it is useful to have some 'average' players beyond that. Some scenarios play very differently for very experienced players compared to average players. The latter, though, are more numerous. Designing a scenario that plays well for very experienced players AND average ones is yet upping the challenge a bit.

von Marwitz
Good point! I'm play testing a CG I designed on Ponyri using CH's maps 'To catch a train' and my opposing playtesters are good aggressive players and play completely differently to me. Weve swopped sides as well to get different view of what works and what doesn't. I've learnt that you can't change things just because you loose to better players, you need to learn to look at the whole situation

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
You need these, but I believe it is useful to have some 'average' players beyond that. Some scenarios play very differently for very experienced players compared to average players. The latter, though, are more numerous. Designing a scenario that plays well for very experienced players AND average ones is yet upping the challenge a bit.

von Marwitz
Agreed that these are needed to produce a well crafted scenario.

That is not what the original question was though.

I doubt that MMP would put much store in the opinion and playtest results from someone that is an unknown quantity.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Scenario design and development (i.e., playtest) are indeed a lot of work. The more play tested and polished a design submission is, the more chance it has of being published by MMP, especially given how busy they are with so many projects.

Tom
Many thanks, yep, it's the playtesting that I am now finding the hardest, I have my Royal Scots scenarios done and a couple of them playtested enough but the rest still need playtested and that's taking more time than I expected it really is a big job

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

von Marwitz
Guess that helps then cos' I don't know any of the big names in ASL, average players (with a fair bit of experience) are the ones I know

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agreed that these are needed to produce a well crafted scenario.

That is not what the original question was though.

I doubt that MMP would put much store in the opinion and playtest results from someone that is an unknown quantity.
I don't see why not, playtesting is playtesting, they can't know everyone so they ought to take things on board, maybe, even if they don't know the folks involved in the playtest

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I don't see why not, playtesting is playtesting, they can't know everyone so they ought to take things on board, maybe, even if they don't know the folks involved in the playtest
In an ideal world yes. It is not an ideal world and they are resource constrained. Playtest results from known players will carry more weight when it comes to decisions about apportioning those resources.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
now that's the biggest crock of crap I have ever read. I played a few J12 scenarios and they did not seem well playtested to me. Anyway, get off the crack dude and stop your disinformation please.

In an ideal world yes. It is not an ideal world and they are resource constrained. Playtest results from known players will carry more weight when it comes to decisions about apportioning those resources.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
now that's the biggest crock of crap I have ever read. I played a few J12 scenarios and they did not seem well playtested to me. Anyway, get off the crack dude and stop your disinformation please.
Whatever Scott......<shrug>

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Guess that helps then cos' I don't know any of the big names in ASL, average players (with a fair bit of experience) are the ones I know
Well, many of them are around on the VASL server. Why not drop them a line in a private conversation and ask them if they would be willing to give it a try? The worst thing that can happen is that they say no.

von Marwitz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And since jazz conceders himself one of those big names, I'm very sure he would not mind helping you playtest.

Whatever Scott......<shrug>
Well, many of them are around on the VASL server. Why not drop them a line in a private conversation and ask them if they would be willing to give it a try? The worst thing that can happen is that they say no.

von Marwitz

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
And since jazz conceders himself one of those big names, I'm very sure he would not mind helping you playtest.
Scott, that would be "considers".

English, it is your mother tongue. Act like it.
\
Maybe you should sign up for this playtesting? Give the lad a hand? I most definitely am not signing up for it.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

von Marwitz
true enough, I just have never been on VASL though to be honest, all new to me so it seems a bit daunting to be honest

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anyhow, I signed up for HEROES down in Blackpool next month, Pete says to bring the scenarios down and see if we can get any playtesting done there, that would be great as there are a ton of players going so fingers crossed

heh, bust the budget getting the money to go down right enough but I guess it will be worth it, my first ever ASL tournament

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Anyhow, I signed up for HEROES down in Blackpool next month, Pete says to bring the scenarios down and see if we can get any playtesting done there, that would be great as there are a ton of players going so fingers crossed

heh, bust the budget getting the money to go down right enough but I guess it will be worth it, my first ever ASL tournament
Getting to an ASL tournament is a good thing no matter what else comes to pass.

Play as many different folks as you can. Don't worry about win/loss record, but still work to win and don't give up on a scenario until it is mathematically impossible to win. It is amazing how one's eyes get opened by playing people from different player circles.

Last edited: