How do you add Protected Hexes?

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to add more Protected hexes to the scenario I'm working on. Is it possible to do this and how?

Thanks,

Jim Wirth

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I want to add more Protected hexes to the scenario I'm working on. Is it possible to do this and how?
Sure.

Protected hexes are a feature of the reinforcements. Open the Reinforcemence dialog, select the line that requires protection, then press modify input a value greater than zero in the protection box.

Glenn

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Glenn, my alternate Uranus scenario is coming along nicely, but will require some playtesting before it's ready for prime time. I can't wait to see if the airlift works and that brings up another question: What happens if the Soviets overrun the drop zone (Pitomnik airfield)? Will further supply drops be aborted or will the Soviets get them? Since the supply drops are actually representing transports landing supplies it would be ludicrous if the Soviets "recover" them.

Jim Wirth

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What happens if the Soviets overrun the drop zone (Pitomnik airfield)? Will further supply drops be aborted or will the Soviets get them? Since the supply drops are actually representing transports landing supplies it would be ludicrous if the Soviets "recover" them.
If the arrival hex is occupied and there is no scatter and there is no protection value on the arrivial hex, then the units can't enter.

If the hex is unoccupied and behind the lines, then the unit could enter. A human obviously wouldn't bring them on, but I am not sure the AI would know any different - as you said yourself the AI doesn't handle exp supply effectively.

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the arrival hex is occupied and there is no scatter and there is no protection value on the arrivial hex, then the units can't enter.

If the hex is unoccupied and behind the lines, then the unit could enter. A human obviously wouldn't bring them on, but I am not sure the AI would know any different - as you said yourself the AI doesn't handle exp supply effectively.
That makes sense; as for the AI dropping supplies behind enemy lines that shouldn't be an issue since I will be recommending that only human players play the Axis side in my variant. Besides if the Soviet player (human or computer) manages to get to Pitomnik within the time frame of the Uranus scenario, the Axis player will have a lot more to worry about than some supplies getting into enemy hands.

With respect to the procedure you outlined in your previous post about how to set protection hexes, do you have to set a protection value for every unit arriving at a particular hex or only for the first unit that enters there?

Jim Wirth

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
With respect to the procedure you outlined in your previous post about how to set protection hexes, do you have to set a protection value for every unit arriving at a particular hex or only for the first unit that enters there?
The effects of a hex protection can only possibly come into effect once per turn - that is at the start of your turn if the enemy has any units in the protection radius and troops arrive, then the enemy units will be impacted. But once the protection hex happens for that turn - well - it is over for that turn.

If in the Next Players turn the enemy moves more units it, they would be safe unless more turoops arrive at that hex on a later turn.

The net effect is that the protection should be set for one area where units are arriving, each turn troops arrive. I say AREA because if I am having several groups arrive on say three contected road hexes, only one unit in that group with a protection value of three can cover the entire group.

...this might somund more complicated to write than it actually is but once you try it you will see how it works. If you have any problems send me the scn file or a sample scn file and we can look at a specific case.

Glenn