How do I change the user (is that even the right way to say it?)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So,

The Blue Screen of Death appeared on my PC. I had to download and install everything again. 4 hours later I got to VASSAL and it asks me for my name. So I type it in. DOH! The name I used on VASL was JoeA and I typed in Joe Arthur. So now I have a new identity on VASL when I log in. No big deal but all the saved games on VASL that I had I can no longer see what is under the concealment counters because it thinks I am a different person. I ticked the personal preference do not let your opponent unconceal your units.

I have tried unistalling, downloading again and re installing but that Joe Arthur identity is still the one that it logs me in as.

How do I go back to JoeA please? What worries me is that I have probably forgotten the password for that identity when I set it up several years ago...........

Any help much appreciated.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Can't you change it by going to File-->Preferences, select the Personal Tab and change it there. You can also set/change your password there. -- jim

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The ability to see under concealment is tied to your password. 100%. So you need to remember that old password. Since you used a different name, you may be able to recover it. There is a way to do so which I never remember. Check for other posts about finding lost passwords as this came up recently and I am sure there was a thread or two about it.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
To recover your password, go to %USER_HOME%\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs . You can open the file explorer and go to that folder. There, you will find a file called VASL. It is a plain text file. Right click, open with Notepad. Look for the line called "SecretName". Your password is after the = sign. -- jim

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To recover your password, go to %USER_HOME%\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs . You can open the file explorer and go to that folder. There, you will find a file called VASL. It is a plain text file. Right click, open with Notepad. Look for the line called "SecretName". Your password is after the = sign. -- jim
thank you for the help.

I tried searching the whole cdrive and it comes up "no result" Which VASL folder is it in please?

Also the old password would have been in the old 3.2.17 version that I had to reinstall - so the password I need is in the old version that has now been wiped?

The other question (apologies) is I go into preferences and change the Joseph Arthur to JoeA. Go online and that is what shows. However I cannot see my concealed units. If I enter the correct password will I be able to see my units? Is that how VASL works? You can have multiple accounts and change them at the preferences page?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I tried searching the whole cdrive and it comes up "no result" Which VASL folder is it in please?
Hidden by default, but you can go to the folder directly if you drop the full path in the File Explorer location box, e.g. C:\Users\zgros\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs
Just replace the bits before \AppData with whatever is correct for your version of windows.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
On my PC is is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs The "AppData" directory may be hidden for you. To get it to show, you have to set the option in File Explorer. To do that, open Explorer, chose the "View" tab and set these options:
Now go to the directory above, find the file called "VASL". Right click on the file, open in Notepad and you should be good. -- jim

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
On my PC is is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs The "AppData" directory may be hidden for you. To get it to show, you have to set the option in File Explorer. To do that, open Explorer, chose the "View" tab and set these options:
View attachment 14184
Now go to the directory above, find the file called "VASL". Right click on the file, open in Notepad and you should be good. -- jim
Got it - thank you. I have a date modified on it of today and the password is the one I typed in when I created the account today. It has been overwritten when I had to reinstall everything hasn't it??

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Got it - thank you. I have a date modified on it of today and the password is the one I typed in when I created the account today. It has been overwritten when I had to reinstall everything hasn't it??
Yep. Sorry. You'll have to guess from here. There is nothing that can be done that I know of. I have never tried to dig into a VASL save file. It has to have something in there but I have no idea where to look or how. Sorry. -- jim

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep. Sorry. You'll have to guess from here. There is nothing that can be done that I know of. I have never tried to dig into a VASL save file. It has to have something in there but I have no idea where to look or how. Sorry. -- jim
No worries - thank you for all the help.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you can send me an old save file that you created when your old password was in use, I'll take a look. Not sure it's in there but I'll look. I'll GS mail my email to you in case you want to proceed with this option.

Al

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you can send me an old save file that you created when your old password was in use, I'll take a look. Not sure it's in there but I'll look. I'll GS mail my email to you in case you want to proceed with this option.

Al
Al,

That's very good of you - thank you.

Zoltan (AKA ZGrose) is looking into it for me using the same method - looking at an old saved game that I have. If he fails I'll send you a saved game. He stated he has to remember how to do it so it might be a while...........

I'll let you know if he succeeds. You might be interested in how he did it?

Many thanks once again,

Joe

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Al
Al - Zoltan sorted it for me. I am now off to the tattoo parlour to get it put on me so that I never lose it again........and so will never trouble the forum with another dumb request.:)

Many thanks once again for the offer of help.

Zoltan - a big thank you for all the help.