How did you get your start into War games?

ASLinRealTime

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oof, that was a long time ago (for many of us).

As a kid I played a lot of Dungeons & Dragons in the 70s. That led me to get into some fantasy/scifi based hex and counter games like: Divine Right, War of the Ring, Sword & Sorcery, Starship Troopers, etc. Then my buddy who also played with us, but was more into historical wargames introduced me to those. So games like Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, etc...and eventually Squad Leader.

I stopped playing D&D in the 80s and divested of my collection years later. But still play wargames, pretty much ASL exclusively.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Why did Sgt. Saunders have a camouflage helmet cover in the ETO? Was he a lost Marine?. FYI, I only saw reruns in the '80
It was parachute silk. Not often done, but occasionally. Most famous picture is of a German doing it during Market-Garden (using Allied camo para silk as a helmet cover)Image result for german helmet with parachute cover"

Actually Google finds a few pics of Germans doing this.
Image result for german helmet with parachute cover"

Image result for german helmet with parachute cover"

More common use for the camo silk was as a scarf - you see it in several places in Band of Brothers, including a scene where you see Webster actually slicing up his parachute for that purpose.

The Purist

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
:unsure: Hmmm,....1974, shy of my 13th birthday, 7th grade, Avalon Hill's "France 40" ( I still have the original, fully equipped) was the first wargame I played. I was hooked. The first game I bought was AH's Waterloo, followed shortly thereafter by France 40, once a copy came into the toy store at the mall (no such thing as "game stores" back then in my small town).

My military genius has been unsurpassed since then. :whistle:

Last edited:

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:unsure: Hmmm,....1974, shy of my 13th birthday, 7th grade, Avalon Hill's "France 40" ( I still have the original, fully equipped) was the first wargame I played. I was hooked. The first game I bought was AH's Waterloo, followed shortly thereafter by France 40, once a copy came into the toy store at the mall (no such thing as "game stores" back then in my small town).

My military genius has been unsurpassed since then. :whistle:
Yea it's crazy how smart we all are. But I never found enough dice to roll when I was in, maybe that's how the generals keep their jobs.