Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How 'Blade Runner' and 'The Running Man' predicted 2019 decades ago

Kind of an interesting article. On the other hand, there's a lot of things in those movie which I hope do not come to pass.

New York Post said:
Watch these films now, and you can see many parallels between their fictional worlds and the real one we’re living in this very year.

Ridley Scott’s 1982 film “Blade Runner” told the story of a detective (Harrison Ford) tasked with hunting rogue humanoids known as “replicants,” played by Daryl Hannah and Rutger Hauer. “The Running Man,” which hit theaters in 1987, concerned a police officer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) falsely imprisoned by the totalitarian state and made to perform on a top-rated game show, which forces convicts to run from heavily armed pursuers through a dystopian maze.

“I really found ‘The Running Man’ interesting because of the idea of a global economic collapse,” says Katie King, a New York-City-based futurist. “This makes me think of Venezuela. Food shortages, they’re having issues with natural resources and there’s also the police state. It’s straight out of the movie.”

Perhaps the best detail that both movies got right was our more immersive relationship with the media.

Back in the 1980s, there were three television networks and the Internet was still just being used by a couple researchers...